Hello, I have a question for anyone who has upgraded the the newest version of Google Maps 2.2.2 Have the maps been updated at all?
    08-01-08 02:27 PM
    Mines doesn't look it...
    08-01-08 02:28 PM
    The maps are downloaded from the servers as you use them. They are independent of the application version.
    08-01-08 02:51 PM
    The maps are downloaded from the servers as you use them. They are independent of the application version.

Well I have version 2.2.0 on my Curve right now. I wanted to know, because the current maps are very old. I live in a new subdivision, that was just started about a year and a half ago. Lots of streets and houses, but if you look for it in Google Maps on my Blackberry, all it show is cleaned land. The satellite image are several years old. I don't see a reason to upgrade it the satellite images are still old.

KingD
    08-01-08 03:50 PM
    Google Maps upgrades provide additional services in the application. An application upgrade has nothing to do wtih the maps. Google doesn't own any satellites. They buy their maps and imagery from various sources. Those sources update according to their needs, not Google's. Look in Google Earth, for example, and you can see how adjacent tracts of land were updated at different times and at different resolution levels. It would be very helpful if Google showed the date the image was taken on their satellite imagery, but they don't. And their maps only say copyright current year, so unless you know from ground truth (as in your case), you have no way of knowing how accurate the map is.

Google is not the only mapping vendor with this problem. I lived in Washington DC for nine months. Delorme Street Atlas 2008 shows a street running through what is now a Dep't of Agriculture building. I submitted a map update to show that, but Street Atlas 2009 did not pick up the update. Again, unless you lived there, you've never know until you tried to drive the street and it dead-ended at a building.
    08-01-08 04:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD