Hello All,

I've never had a BlackBerry before but i'm a Canadian living in Costa Rica, finally there is a BlackBerry enabled system here (the cellular network is ICE which is a government monopoly so not really any choices for networks lol).

I understand that they are working on getting the 3G network here next year and I think it would probably be smart to get a 3G enabled phone but it's not really mandatory.

Pocket friendly would be nice since I never use a case and just put my phones in my pocket.

I like the iPhone touch screen and I do like apple products but there is no 3g here and that makes the iPhone essentially useless.

I have no experience with SmartPhones so I don't really have anything to compare it to which is a good thing since i'm going to need to adjust to any phone.

I am a web contractor that works with companies all over and i'm thrilled with the idea to have the email pushed to my phone!

The 4 BlackBerries that I have considered are these...

Storm 9530
    Price - $700
    Pros - Touch screen, pocket friendlier, up to 16gb, interface, 3g capable
    Cons - Very confusing reviews

Bold 9000 (revised ram due to feedback)
    Price - $500
    Pros - Elegant, 3g capable, most quirks worked out, up to 16gb
    Cons - Largest of all, 2.0 cam

Curve 8900
    Price - $550
    Pros - Little more slender than bold, 3.2 cam, up to 16gb, 5.5 hrs talk time
    Cons - no 3g capabilities

Pearl 8120
    Price - $300
    Pros - More pocket friendly then others
    Cons - no 3g capabilities, max mem is low, low res cam

I would greatly appreciate any assistance from you guys/gals on a selecting a phone.

Thank you in advance!

Nick
    Last edited by nickCR; 12-23-08 at 09:23 AM.
    12-22-08 11:39 AM
    Since you don't have 3g available, you may as well just get the curve. Its a nice looking phone, few bugs, and is a phone camera your only camera? Phone cameras all sick anyway.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-08 01:12 PM
    I would have to agree. The curve is a great phone, and if you don't have a
    3G network it would be silly to spend a lot of money on a phone that will only use say 1/4 of its potential. However if they are working on a 3G network it may be worth waiting if you really want that. I'm happy with my 8330, however if I had to choose a new handset now it would be the 8900 without a dout.
    12-22-08 02:20 PM
    If he can get the Bold for less than the Curve I would suggest that especially since the Bold is not much bigger yet has bigger screen, 3G and a faster processor. It has max 32G memory by the way. A lot of Bold users have 16G SD cards and working fine.
    12-22-08 04:15 PM
    Yeah the bold is cheaper and seems like a very nice phone. I really like the Curve too but i'm so up in the air. I found out today that the 3g isn't going to be here for at least another year so really i'm almost ready to say screw it and just get a pearl since it's the cheapest. But then I think why not spend a little more and get a lot more phone. I found a Bold on eBay for $450.
    12-22-08 04:50 PM
    I found a Bold on eBay for $450.
    With care and due diligence. A lot of phone buyers get ripped off on eBay. There are an alarming number of pre-production and other stolen phones circulating, and phones which are locked to one provider and can't be unlocked for one reason or another. All these are probably unusable, or at best offer no more functionality than a Nokia 6310.

Apart from that you probably don't get a proper warranty because RIM puts the warranty through the original reseller only. If the phone fails you'll have to fund the repair yourself in most cases - and the only real 'user' repair on a Bold is to replace the screen or trackball, if the main PCB fails you are screwed.
    12-22-08 07:50 PM
    The bold is so comfy..
    The storm has confusing reviews bc it is confusing...
    The Curve 8900 seems like the most fun =)
    I wish I had a black trackball
    12-22-08 08:22 PM
    Curve 8900 would be my vote. If you can justify the extra money for a data plan, then the price jump up to the newer curve 8900 from the pearl should be worth it.
    12-22-08 09:01 PM
    Branta: I don't have much choice here. I can pay $600 for a BB Pearl here in Costa Rica or buy a Bold from eBay for $450. I have bought lots of stuff on eBay and I am careful to ask about each phone before I buy them. Most important is that the phone MUST be fully unlocked (not partially unlocked) and some have been honest enough to suggest a different auction. I totally understand there is danger involved.

LiShan.. I think that pretty much sums it up.

Warwick.. the data plan is the regular plan you need to buy for the BB to receive mails etc right?

I like the new Curve it is interesting that's for sure, but the bold is very elegant. I think it's kinda between those two but I still have this nagging at the back of my head about the storm. I just like the phone it's sleek and I love the touch, really a feature I was looking for since the iPhone was the one I originally wanted. But the benefits of the BB are way more so i'm happy to go with the BB.
    12-23-08 12:12 AM
    The bold will take a 16gb microSD card giving you 17gb total storage.
    12-23-08 12:16 AM
    Out of those I'd go with the Bold, can't go wrong with the curve though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-23-08 03:16 AM
    I go with the Bold.
    I a little biased since I'm a Bold owner.
    I got mine for $350 sealed no contract.
    I've seen many users using 16GB micros, I'll be on the prowl for one on/after boxing day.

Since the Bold is $50 cheaper than the 8900 I'd go Bold.
    You mentioned you'd be getting 3G soon so you might as well be prepared.
    12-23-08 05:24 AM
    I can see most people favor the Bold or Curve. I tend to agree with that. I wish I had the two to play with side by side to really make an educated decision. I've checked them out on the BB site and they look very sexy

I did find out yesterday that the 3G network won't be available for at least a year. I can't even get on a waiting list for a 3G line yet. So that has less importance then ever now.

I will say though that i'm not big on changing my phone frequently to keep up with the tech. In the last 5 years i've only had 3 phones and it's been by force because of an antenna breaking or something else. I guess in part it's an advantage to living here in Costa Rica since the tech is majorly behind schedule.
    12-23-08 09:30 AM
    I agree with all the previous postings. You're better off getting the Curve; It has a full key board for quick and easy typing; the pictures come out pretty clear on the cam; browser works well considering that its off a phone, etc... I basically live off this phone; i have both of my email addresses on the my curve, yahoo messenger, AIM, Gchat, and i love BlackBerryMessenger (BBM).

You should definitely get this phone especially since there won't be 3G in your area for another year or so.
    12-23-08 11:15 AM
    I am in love with my 8310 and dnt really see the need for 3g. but as far as pocket friendly, versatile and being the newest bb of the bunch i'd say go for the 8900. good luck
    12-23-08 02:31 PM
    A friend of mine brought up a really good point. I do travel to the US and Canada (currently not as often as I like) but none the less at least twice a year i'm there. I usually spend a bit of time there too and buy a sim card for a local provider so having the 3G capabilities is still a good thing.

I am pleased to say that I got a BlackBerry Bold today! I found it at a local store for $715. Not the best price I know but it's fully unlocked, I have a local 1 yr waranty and after calculating the costs of getting the phone here I only paid an extra $100 and didn't have to take any risk. Granted it's in German, but I can change all that easily and download the user manual in English directly from RIM.

I'm proudly and finally a BlackBerry owner .

I just can't open it until the 25th since it's a gift

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestion!
    12-23-08 04:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD