I am happy to announce, I am joining the dark side! I come from Windows mobile, to iPhone, to Windows Mobile, and finally to Blackberry. I am here because I believe it is the only one with a chance to beat the iPhone!!! Anyways fan boy antics aside, My question:

On my Winmo Phone I had an app called TCPMP and it allowed streaming of this great format called AAC+. It's compressed to like 96kbps and sounds like 256k or better. FANTASTIC for mobile phones. I like to listen to di.fm with it.

Is there a BB app that streams AAC+ format? I really hope so, don't think I can survive without it! I did some searching, but no good results came up. Or does the native BB player stream AAC+? I found somethign that said it supports the format, but it made no comment on streaming.

Also, please don't say Orb because I really don't want to have my computer running 24/7.

Thanks so much!

Matt
    09-08-09 02:58 PM
    I believe Pandora is what you are searching for.
    09-08-09 03:09 PM
    you mean Pandora the radio service? wwwpandoradotcom? I did notice they use AAC+ and I like the service, but what I'm looking for is a media player type app, that supports AAC+.

Thanks
    09-08-09 03:17 PM
    bump - are there any 3rd party media players at all?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-09 04:45 PM
    bumpie... guys?
    09-09-09 08:09 AM
    I just did a quick Google search and I found a couple articles that say the native BB media player supports .aac files which covers AAC, AAC+, and eAAC+.

Also when you said streaming in your first post, that implies an internet service and not playing local media.
    09-09-09 09:55 AM
    I just did a quick Google search and I found a couple articles that say the native BB media player supports .aac files which covers AAC, AAC+, and eAAC+.

Also when you said streaming in your first post, that implies an internet service and not playing local media.
    Thanks! I noticed that too when I searched, that it plays those types of files which is fantastic... but the streaming of that format is what I was looking for.

Does the native BB media player support streaming as well? That would be fantastic if it supported the service out of the box!

Thanks again for checking it out.

Oh and if you're curious what I'm trying to figure all this out for... the streaming service I'm using is www di fm (fix the url, I can't post link since I'm noob), it's a service free and paid that streams high quality radio of all kinds.
    09-09-09 10:01 AM
    No, native BB media player does not support streaming to my knowledge.
    09-09-09 10:14 AM
    No, native BB media player does not support streaming to my knowledge.
    rats! so much for that option
    09-09-09 10:17 AM
    bump for ideas... thanks again
    09-09-09 12:03 PM
    Maybe you can help me understand, ideas for what? You stated you wanted something to stream with, so there's Pandora. Then you want something to play locally with so the BB media package.

Are you looking for an all in one solution?
    09-09-09 12:06 PM
    Maybe you can help me understand, ideas for what? You stated you wanted something to stream with, so there's Pandora. Then you want something to play locally with so the BB media package.

Are you looking for an all in one solution?
    Pandora is a radio subscription service, not a means for playing other internet radio stations. All you can play with it is their service, not Digitally imported Digitally Imported - Addictive Electronic Music (can finally post it lol)

I'm looking for a media player, or other program that can stream internet radio such as the AAC+ format
    09-09-09 12:49 PM
    No idea how that service works, but there's Flycast as well. It's free.

If you are looking for a program that connects to random websites and can download and stream AAC stuff though, I am not aware of anything like it on the BB. Most apps only work with one specific service, free or not.
    09-09-09 12:55 PM
    No idea how that service works, but there's Flycast as well. It's free.

If you are looking for a program that connects to random websites and can download and stream AAC stuff though, I am not aware of anything like it on the BB. Most apps only work with one specific service, free or not.
    Thanks! this one does stream DI.fm like I wanted... I'm gonna try that one tonight. (hopefully UPS delivers!) I see reports that Flycast does stream DI, hopefully they allow login to digitally imported premium as well.. I'm so nervous

Thanks for all your help!
    09-09-09 12:58 PM
    Not a problem. I totally forgot about Flycast originally, I used to use it but stopped a while back. Hope it works for you.
    09-09-09 01:00 PM
    Sounds like you may have found a fit for your need. To answer your streaming question, I stream internet radio feeds just fine on my BB using the media player. I listen to my online station throughout the day.

09-09-09 01:07 PM
    Sounds like you may have found a fit for your need. To answer your streaming question, I stream internet radio feeds just fine on my BB using the media player. I listen to my online station throughout the day.

that's great news, thanks! just curious, which station do you listen to? any chance you could try out the aac+ stream from Digitally Imported - Addictive Electronic Music ?
    09-09-09 01:47 PM
    Didn't have any luck with the di.fm feeds. Let me see if I can send PM's now. I have more info and something for you to try.
    09-09-09 02:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD