The 9790 demonstrates RIM's problems with product strategy. There really is no need to sell multiple variants of the same thing. The 9900 covers the corporate market and the Curve covers the teen messaging market and the developing world. What else does RIM need really. The 9850/60 is a real head scratcher. Who would want a slab phone running BB OS7?
    Very true. The decision to fragment their hardware they way they have has always been a headscratcher for me.

I got blisters on me fingers! from using Tapatalk.
    05-23-12 11:09 AM
    Very true. The decision to fragment their hardware they way they have has always been a headscratcher for me.

I got blisters on me fingers! from using Tapatalk.
    That's really only an issue with 3rd-party apps, which until recently wasn't recognized by the RIM braintrust as being important. Now that the concept of apps is important, we'll probably see a lot more consistency in hardware specs starting with the BB10 devices.
    reeneebob likes this.
    05-23-12 01:43 PM
    The 9790 demonstrates RIM's problems with product strategy. There really is no need to sell multiple variants of the same thing. The 9900 covers the corporate market and the Curve covers the teen messaging market and the developing world. What else does RIM need really. The 9850/60 is a real head scratcher. Who would want a slab phone running BB OS7?
    Well, the other side of that coin is there are people who thought the 9000 was too big and the 9700 was too small. And surprisingly, I have seen quite a few 9850/60's in use recently, so yes there are those who like BB7 on a slab. I know, I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it, either.
    05-23-12 01:51 PM
    I love my 9860. But nobody knows about it, so it's not selling. When I upgraded to it, I went to a Telus store and asked, 'What's new in BlackBerries?' Without that question, I doubt the sales clerk would've mentioned it. The clerk himself had an iPhone.
    05-23-12 02:04 PM
    What difference does it make even if they quit selling them? If you own a 9810 like I do, and it works great and I have customer support should I need it (yes-scary as it seems, I have an AT&T repair center that is great near us) what do I care if they quit making and selling it. I love the phone and it's even better now that I've downloaded a 7.1 update (non-AT&T of course) on it! All companies quit making and selling models of phones when bringing out new ones--not a biggie as I see it.
    05-23-12 02:40 PM
    I love my 9860. But nobody knows about it, so it's not selling. When I upgraded to it, I went to a Telus store and asked, 'What's new in BlackBerries?' Without that question, I doubt the sales clerk would've mentioned it. The clerk himself had an iPhone.
    I think it is not selling because for most people it doesn't make much sense. A 9900 is far better for messaging and if you want a slab phone for browsing and media consumption , there are far better choices such as the iPhone 4s.
    05-23-12 03:45 PM
    I think it is not selling because for most people it doesn't make much sense. A 9900 is far better for messaging and if you want a slab phone for browsing and media consumption , there are far better choices such as the iPhone 4s.
    I've played with an iPhone 4s, and I like the Torch better. You can still use keyboard shortcuts with it, so I get things done much faster than on an iPhone.
    05-23-12 10:30 PM

The 9860 maybe a decent bb; however when compared to ios/android/winmo7 it leaves a lot to be desired...Rimm doesn't have the best track record when it comes to creating touchscreen devices....

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-23-12 10:47 PM
    I've played with an iPhone 4s, and I like the Torch better. You can still use keyboard shortcuts with it, so I get things done much faster than on an iPhone.
    If by Torch you mean the 9810 slider, I understand why some people might want such a device (the keyboard is not to my taste though, the 9900 is so much better).

I have a 9930 on BES and a 4s (which replaced a 9700 on BIS). The 9930 is my corporate device and I could replace it with Goodlink on my 4s and just carry one device. However, for work email, a BES 9900 is the ultimate corporate communications tool.

I thought about replacing my 9700 with a 9900 but did not because for almost everything I need a personal smartphone for the 4s is so much better. Instead of dealing with the awful BIS I have Exchange Active Sync and iCloud which work so much better. I don't miss BBM since I get more use out of iMessage and I use FaceTime frequently. Then there are the iPhone's built-in media apps, eReader apps, iTunesU and all those other third party applications.

To me, touch screen only BBs combine the worst feature of the iPhone (the touch screen keyboard) with all the disadvantages of BB OS. I honestly don't understand why people buy them.
    05-23-12 10:51 PM
    To each his own I guess.

You use what makes you happy and what can get your job done faster.

I know a sprint store manager and he has a torch touch and he likes it because of all the things blackberry has that he likes like bbm and certain corp email that will only work on a berry for true push. He also likes the full touchscreen thing so her loves his phone. He may be a 1 in a hundred type of person but the full touch berry fits him perfectly.

If by Torch you mean the 9810 slider, I understand why some people might want such a device (the keyboard is not to my taste though, the 9900 is so much better).

I have a 9930 on BES and a 4s (which replaced a 9700 on BIS). The 9930 is my corporate device and I could replace it with Goodlink on my 4s and just carry one device. However, for work email, a BES 9900 is the ultimate corporate communications tool.

I thought about replacing my 9700 with a 9900 but did not because for almost everything I need a personal smartphone for the 4s is so much better. Instead of dealing with the awful BIS I have Exchange Active Sync and iCloud which work so much better. I don't miss BBM since I get more use out of iMessage and I use FaceTime frequently. Then there are the iPhone's built-in media apps, eReader apps, iTunesU and all those other third party applications.

To me, touch screen only BBs combine the worst feature of the iPhone (the touch screen keyboard) with all the disadvantages of BB OS. I honestly don't understand why people buy them.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-24-12 08:29 AM
    To each his own I guess.

You use what makes you happy and what can get your job done faster.

I know a sprint store manager and he has a torch touch and he likes it because of all the things blackberry has that he likes like bbm and certain corp email that will only work on a berry for true push. He also likes the full touchscreen thing so her loves his phone. He may be a 1 in a hundred type of person but the full touch berry fits him perfectly.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    He likes the things about BB that I like, BES corp email access and BBM. Those core features do work much better with a real keyboard though which is whyIi think the 9850/60 has such a limited market.
    05-24-12 08:52 AM
    Who would want a slab phone running BB OS7?
    Me.
    10chars.
    05-24-12 02:14 PM
    Have used:

So far I really like my 9850. Got it by default. Yes, typing takes some work. Took me months to get half way used to the touch keyboard.

For emails, texting, picture taking, Facebooking etc. It does very well.

Having the extra screen room is a major plus.

Bridging with the 9850 with my PlayBook is actually useful. The speed improve on Bridge was worth the move from my 9650.

US Cell does not sell the 9900 Bolds the other choice is a Curve
    But the 9850 was the one I would of purchased any way.

To me OS 7.1 does what I need it to and does it well

Fast and compact.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry
    05-24-12 08:48 PM
    H
    So far I really like my 9850. Got it by default. Yes, typing takes some work. Took me months to get half way used to the touch keyboard.

For emails, texting, picture taking, Facebooking etc. It does very well.

Having the extra screen room is a major plus.
    For personal email I find the iPhone 4S is better than any BIS BB (Full IMAP and EAS support). Texting and FB work just as well, browsing is somewhat better, the screen is better even compared with the 9900 (the 9850 has a plastic screen).

The camera on the 4s is much better than any BB camera I have ever used. There have been many complaints about the 9900 camera of course but I have no experience with it since my 9930 does not have a camera.
    05-24-12 10:46 PM
    i would like to hear from folks as to what models of blackberry they see on display in their respective company ATT store. Mine here in the Atlanta area only has the 9810 on display. I have some outlet stores and franchise stores in the area that have a larger selection with the 9810 9900 and 9860 all on display. Kinda ticks me off you can't see all thats available in every location you go to
    05-26-12 07:58 PM
    AT&T have the 9810 & 9900 in stores. The 9860 was an on line phone only.
    05-26-12 08:12 PM
    For the record I love my 9860. This is the phone I think that had the biggest missed opportunity. Though I do agree there was no need for two Bolds and four or five Curves.
    It's correct... the world needed a good Torch 9860 and a good Bold 9900 and that's it.
    05-27-12 09:43 AM
    It's correct... the world needed a good Torch 9860 and a good Bold 9900 and that's it.
    RIM needs a Bold and a Curve and possibly a slab phone once the new OS launches.
    05-28-12 09:47 PM
    9780,9810,9860 r discontinued models in india...still available at several local stores.models dat r available r 9900 n 9790 n in curves 9220,9320,9360 n 9380
    05-28-12 11:08 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD