Hello, I recently unlocked my 9780 (it was from movistar, a mexican phone company) and put in a Swisscom SIM. I get connection to 3G, but not to BIS since the SIM has an iPhone plan. I've another phone, a Nokia Asha 300 from Swisscom. Thing is, when the SIM is in the Nokia I get full access to phone, messages AND internet. However, when I put the SIM into the BlackBerry I only get phone and messages and when I try to browse a message pops up saying my plan does not support data access over cellular. I've tried to set the APN settings using Swisscom's APN (gprs.swisscom.ch) and it still does not work. Any idea why?
    02-15-13 10:18 AM
    so neither of these sims have BIS?

you might want to start there

subscribe to BIS and report back in.
    02-15-13 10:21 AM
    The first one (the one from movistar) does have BIS
    02-15-13 10:49 AM
    Whatever SIM you're putting in, you need BIS on that account to have access to BIS services on the 9780. So if you want access to BIS on your Swisscom account, add a BIS plan to it.
    02-15-13 12:33 PM
    Did you call your provider? They might have to do something to your plan to push the BIS to your phone.
    02-15-13 02:19 PM
    Indeed. You need BIS for email and internet web to work with proprietary Blackberry web browsers ansld email programs.

You can load 3rd party web browsers like Opera Mini. This will work without BIS.
    THERE IS LUCKILY 1 excellent 3rd party email product called logicmail logicmail.org
    This runs without BIS.

I had my 9780 working pretty sweet on H2o mobil without BIS and was happy.

I then found simple mobile blackberry and am happier. Nothing like true BIS for which the phine was made for.

Sure, you can do work arounds, but they are not ad elegant as a true BIS plan.

Good luck!
    02-15-13 02:35 PM
    Do you know if I can get whatsapp working with no BIS? I know it works with Wi-Fi. ALSO I can't seem to get connection to the BB servers through Wi-Fi...
    02-15-13 04:33 PM
    You wont if you do not Have a BIS plan and a passthrough wifi setup like T-mo offers.

Whatsapp should work through wifi.
    It is 3rd party and not dependent on BIS.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    02-25-13 10:44 AM