I received this email today from best buy reward zone. I immediately went to get my free blackberry tour 9630 and am locked in for another two years, but the phone was free and I do like it. The problem is the first line on this document. "With its built in Wifi...". I even clarified with the sales associate at best buy whether or not this phone had wifi and she swore that it did. I am looking everywhere and everyone is saying that the cdma tour for verizon does not have wifi. Is this something that is going to be enabled with a new OS update? I am still pleased with the phone whether it has wifi or not, but I was REALLY looking forward to having that function.
    03-05-10 12:09 AM
    The Tour, at least the Verizon version, does not have Wifi. But it's not really needed with Verizons 3G network, and because in truth, the Blackberry web browser wouldn't allow any difference in speed that you would be able to notice.
    03-05-10 12:13 AM
    definitely does NOT have wifi. the tour2 will have it.
    03-05-10 01:12 AM
    03-05-10 01:18 AM
    You don't need wifi trust me man. If you had a droid or something you'd notice the difference but not with a BlackBerry on Verizon. And even on the droid I couldn't notice the difference on web pages. Only on watching youtube videos. I could watch HD versions with my wifi on.
    03-05-10 01:51 AM
    I would go back and ask her where in the owners manual does it even mention wifi, then complain to the manager and see if you could get a gift card or something. Yeah the phone was free but you still committed to a 2 year contract based on what the ad stated and what the employee swore came with the phone...It is a great phone and I love mine, but the bottom line is you were mislead...
    03-05-10 01:56 AM
    I would go back and ask her where in the owners manual does it even mention wifi, then complain to the manager and see if you could get a gift card or something. Yeah the phone was free but you still committed to a 2 year contract based on what the ad stated and what the employee swore came with the phone...It is a great phone and I love mine, but the bottom line is you were mislead...
    To the OP, the only thing that they "owe" you is the opportunity to return the free phone and be released from the contract. They owe you nothing more and nothing less.
    03-05-10 03:39 AM
    The Tour 9630, whether on Verizon or Sprint, does NOT have WiFi. You were misled.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-10 06:35 AM
    To the OP, the only thing that they "owe" you is the opportunity to return the free phone and be released from the contract. They owe you nothing more and nothing less.
    Wow, I know they don't owe him anything but the ability to back out of the contract but, whats wrong with trying to get a little sympathy from the store when they were in the wrong? Whats wrong with saying hey, I feel cheated by a misprint, and by a employee who is supposed to have knowledge about the products they sell to a customer, and features they swear it has? Its a **** of a lot quicker to give up a gift card then it is to go thru the whole cancel and return process..

And it was more about the principal.
    03-05-10 09:25 AM
    It's false advertising, Tour does not have wifi.

I agree with stiletto, they don't owe you anything but a return and contract cancellation.

But I also agree with Dave. Going the extra mile to keep a customer satisfied is something Best Buy should be willing to do in this case. It is their mistake after all.

I can't believe this managed to slip thru their marketing dept.
    03-05-10 11:51 AM
    LMAO, best buy? you mean where their staff is super saturated in marketing/sales ploys to sell you everything under the sun? And then on top of it they're considered product experts, Please!!!! They are about an inept as the Geek Squad, you can definitely pay me $179 to reformat your hard drive and NOT save anything for you as the only recourse to fixing any and every computer problem you might have.

You walk in to any one of them and ask them was net_rim_bb_api is and I betcha they won't have a flipping clue, it's a wonder why they were so direct with believing that the Tour 1 has wifi, it's part of their training from the Marketing/Sales division........I know, I use to work for them.
    03-05-10 02:30 PM
    you most definatly have a reason for a refund or a new phone if that were the case.
    03-05-10 02:53 PM
    Since you can't get a refund on a free phone and if you truly wanted WiFi, I would tell them you want to return the Tour and have the contract renewal cancelled.
    03-05-10 02:59 PM
    72 hour contract law probably applies here too.......
    03-05-10 03:05 PM
    It's my understanding that, if an advertisement states something about a product (be it price or features), you are entitled to whatever is advertised. I have gotten some very good "bargains" due to typos or mislabeled products on store shelves. Since Tours don't come with WIFI, Best Buy's ad is false advertising and you should get a release from the contract, if you want it. Probably, though, you'd have to return the Tour.
    03-05-10 06:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD