Verizon does not own any wifi hot spots. Why would they want their consumers paying other company's for access. Outside of using my storm as a xbmc remote I have no use for wifi.
    02-05-09 01:56 AM
    Ok, couple of things...

Third, show me a situation where you don't have VZW coverage, but you have WiFi coverage.

contrary to popular belief. I do have full coverage in most areas I have gone across the USA.. However there has been times I haven't had FULL Data speed.. So in reality this as a argument isn't really a argument. People argue against wifi I have no clue why. Honestly if you don't want it FINE but why limit it for other people. Other phones have on and off switches for wifi just like the gps on the storm. So Why fight against it? Do you prefer limiting options?
    02-05-09 03:33 AM
    wifi is overrated! You guys don't really understand that 3g speed is pretty fast. I had the bold with wifi for att and it was just as fast without using wifi as it was with it. There was nothing extra special about using wifi. This is because what makes the difference is how fast the phone's processor is. For example I had an 8830 that used the same 1XEV but was obviously way slower than that of the storm because the processor was better So you can have all the wifi speed you want but it doesn't matter if your phone can only process so much at a time.

And also wherever you have wifi, why would you rather use your phone to surf the internet when you can use a computer/labtop. I mean do you really surf the internet on your phone in your home !! If you do (like i said before) there would be really no difference in terms of speed. I'm not saying verizon shouldnt have added that option, rust me i thought the whole wifi thing would be so cool like the rest of you guys, but really it's overrated.
    Last edited by holladay42; 02-05-09 at 09:30 AM. Reason: mistakes
    02-05-09 09:27 AM
    I can certainly live without wifi, BUT it would have been a nice bonus if the Storm had it. But as you can see from my profile, it did NOT stop me from getting one.
    02-05-09 09:30 AM
    1. planes have wifi but you cant use the VZW network
    2. overseas using wifi instead of having to pay for prepaid SIM where you cant even get fast access due to lack of 3g
    3. in my friend's basement where we watch all the cavs games and i check espn.com but only get 1 bar of signal
    4. basements of universities/the lower levels of my building, where wifi was installed for that reason
    5. the list goes on
    02-05-09 09:45 AM
    contrary to popular belief. I do have full coverage in most areas I have gone across the USA.. However there has been times I haven't had FULL Data speed.. So in reality this as a argument isn't really a argument. People argue against wifi I have no clue why. Honestly if you don't want it FINE but why limit it for other people. Other phones have on and off switches for wifi just like the gps on the storm. So Why fight against it? Do you prefer limiting options?
    The argument is still on...

When you did not have EVDO coverage, i.e. FULL data speed, did you have WiFi available?

I am not arguing against WiFi. I'm not limiting it. Personally, I enjoy the options.

Other phones do have on/off for WiFi and you are free to buy them. You knew what you bought with the 9530...don't like to, get a phone with WiFi or a different carrier.
    02-05-09 10:17 AM
    1. planes have wifi but you cant use the VZW network
    2. overseas using wifi instead of having to pay for prepaid SIM where you cant even get fast access due to lack of 3g
    3. in my friend's basement where we watch all the cavs games and i check espn.com but only get 1 bar of signal
    4. basements of universities/the lower levels of my building, where wifi was installed for that reason
    5. the list goes on
    Hate to say it...

Don't buy the 9530.

I'm not here defending or attacking WiFi. Just saying you knew it wasn't there when you bought it. It's not like it was ever advertised it would be there like the "GPS" in the 8830...
    02-05-09 10:28 AM
    Hate to say it...

Don't buy the 9530.

I'm not here defending or attacking WiFi. Just saying you knew it wasn't there when you bought it. It's not like it was ever advertised it would be there like the "GPS" in the 8830...
    its not a dealbreaker for me, more of a "Wtf?" moment for me.

itd really round out the feature set for me. plus im stuck on verizon.
    02-05-09 10:33 AM
    There is room on the board for wifi theres no doub about it vz asked for it to be taken off now if someone knows , can the hardwared be installed on it?
    02-05-09 10:41 AM
    It's not like it was ever advertised it would be there like the "GPS" in the 8830...
    are you saying the 8830 didnt have GPS?
    02-05-09 10:44 AM
    There is room on the board for wifi theres no doub about it vz asked for it to be taken off
    How sure are you about that?
    02-05-09 10:50 AM
    There is room on the board for wifi theres no doub about it vz asked for it to be taken off now if someone knows , can the hardwared be installed on it?
    Again.....

First, proof, or it never happened. Proof Verizon told RIM anything and proof there is room for it, without removing anything that is already in the 9530, without increasing the size.
    02-05-09 10:59 AM
    are you saying the 8830 didnt have GPS?
    I'm saying that when the 8830 was released, the GPS in it was a point of contention for many people.
    02-05-09 11:01 AM
    WIFI update on the storm - As it turns out there is an issue that is being worked on by RIM. The issue seems to be around WIFI and CDMA technology. This is why the BOLD has WIFI (Rogers) and if rogers get's the storm they will probably have WIFI also. From what I hear, RIM is working on this but the problem wasn't space, wasn't verizon demanding the data usage or someone forgetting . Let's hope the hardware is in the phone and that an OS update can finally give us the extra

Come on RIM, us CDMA users have faith you'll fix this for us and keep our fingures crossed that the hardware is there and we can one day benifit
    02-05-09 05:07 PM
    To continue playing Devils Advocate...

Do you have a laptop when you are there? If not, I give up. No, I take that back...You should be learning and not screwing off on your Storm...your parents, student loan underwriters and state tax payers aren't paying for you to play on your phone.

lol no laptop. I agree that I shouldnt be using my Storm during class but sometimes it is quite useful for powerpoints and the like.
    02-05-09 10:01 PM
    Second, VZW requires a data package no matter what when purchasing a BB or other smartphone, even those with WiFi. What's the BFD about not having WiFi.
    Keyword: Purchasing. But not if you use an unlocked smart phone.

Third, show me a situation where you don't have VZW coverage, but you have WiFi coverage.
    A rural home.

Edit : When 4G rolls out, what's the difference anyways. Your phone will be faster than wireless.
    Not if you only have a 3G phone.
    02-05-09 10:33 PM
    WIFI update on the storm - As it turns out there is an issue that is being worked on by RIM. The issue seems to be around WIFI and CDMA technology. This is why the BOLD has WIFI (Rogers) and if rogers get's the storm they will probably have WIFI also. From what I hear, RIM is working on this but the problem wasn't space, wasn't verizon demanding the data usage or someone forgetting . Let's hope the hardware is in the phone and that an OS update can finally give us the extra

Come on RIM, us CDMA users have faith you'll fix this for us and keep our fingures crossed that the hardware is there and we can one day benifit
    I read on boygenius report that vz asked rim to take off the hardware off the vz version its very unlikely that it has installed unless someone opened the device and checked the hardware and found the wifi installed then i'd belive you.
    02-05-09 10:43 PM
    is it possible or there was for sure no wifi installed.........

and why is rodgers getting it? and no one esle
    Why is the sky blue?
    Why does urine look like apple juice?

How do birds fly?
    Why wasn't the abortion pill available on your Bday?
    02-05-09 10:48 PM
    no wifi I can live with. but not 3G (at the right frequency anyways) makes me sad
    02-05-09 11:03 PM
    Guys, i'm sure this is a stupid question, but I'm not a techie in any way shape or form - is there a reason you can't plug in a wireless dongle like I have on my old pre-wireless laptop? It would look pretty lame walking around with the stick out the side of the beautiful phone, but wouldn't it solve the problem?
    02-06-09 01:12 PM
    Guys, i'm sure this is a stupid question, but I'm not a techie in any way shape or form - is there a reason you can't plug in a wireless dongle like I have on my old pre-wireless laptop? It would look pretty lame walking around with the stick out the side of the beautiful phone, but wouldn't it solve the problem?
    Could this work? Yea probably, but don't hold your breath waiting on someone to do a device. Besides the usb port on the Storm they could utilize the SD slot, BUT I'm not sure that would work, probably too much they would need to fit in. Again don't hold your breath.
    02-06-09 01:17 PM
    Ok. What about the slot where you plug in the usb cable to connect it to the computer?
    With something like this?
    Amazon.com: USB Female A To USB Mini Male B 5 Pin Adapter Free Shipping: Electronics ??
    (Sorry I know there's probably a really simple reason. Is it just some sort of program that would need to be written?)
    Just out of interest
    Last edited by maxib; 02-06-09 at 01:59 PM.
    02-06-09 01:22 PM
    bump - morbid curiosity...
    02-06-09 05:01 PM
    A dongle by itself doesn't do anything. You would need to load drivers. So someone would have to create drivers for the wi-fi dongle.
    02-06-09 05:28 PM
    i wish it did
    02-06-09 05:30 PM
103 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD