hmmm...if you call 311 in Ottawa it takes you to the parks and maintenance department...y'know- to tell them to get their asses in gear and clear the roads of snow/ there's a sprinkler on the fritz, a garbage trunk lost it's load etc. Don't police departments have their own numbers- like a normal telephone number not a short code?

I've never called 911 on my phone but I can see how 3 loud beeps wouldn't be ideal. Think hiding behind a dumpster while your best friend gets beat up- nothing like alerting the thugs you're there!
    12-01-08 10:14 PM
    Not much attention has been paid to the definition of "non emergency number". Most cities have 911 for immediate threat to life and property and a 'non emergency number' such as 311 for all other city related calls. However, in most jurisdictions, the proper number to call for loud partys, suspicious activity, or any other non emergency police request, would be neither of those numbers. The correct number to call is your 10 digit local police department/ precinct. Look it up in your phonebook and save it. You can even assign it to a speed dial for faster access. Hold down the number you assign it to and it will dial all 10 digits automatically. Its even faster than dialing 911 (911 is 4 buttons, 9-1-1 [send], while speed-dial is only one key press). Most times you will even get through to an operator faster than if callling 911. Remember - immediate threat to life or property- 911, all other police related calls- local precinct, NOT 311. I would even suggest that in the situations where you are describing that the beeps will compromise your location, it may be wiser to use that local number on speed dial, which will eliminate the beeps and get you to a live operator who has the ability to dispatch police units just as well as a 911 operator can. P.S. I am an operator for a vol EMS.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by lalifeguards; 12-02-08 at 02:06 AM.
    12-02-08 01:46 AM
    Just to clarify, I only suggest calling your local police number if it is a NON life threatening emergency. When in doubt, ALWAYS call 911, they have computer dispatch systems that display your location. Your local police department may not have that type of system

12-02-08 02:34 AM
    shoot first...then let you're Berry beep all it wants...
    12-02-08 02:36 AM
    Not much attention has been paid to the definition of "non emergency number". Most cities have 911 for immediate threat to life and property and a 'non emergency number' such as 311 for all other city related calls. However, in most jurisdictions, the proper number to call for loud partys, suspicious activity, or any other non emergency police request, would be neither of those numbers. The correct number to call is your 10 digit local police department/ precinct. Look it up in your phonebook and save it. You can even assign it to a speed dial for faster access. Hold down the number you assign it to and it will dial all 10 digits automatically. Its even faster than dialing 911 (911 is 4 buttons, 9-1-1 [send], while speed-dial is only one key press). Most times you will even get through to an operator faster than if callling 911. Remember - immediate threat to life or property- 911, all other police related calls- local precinct, NOT 311. I would even suggest that in the situations where you are describing that the beeps will compromise your location, it may be wiser to use that local number on speed dial, which will eliminate the beeps and get you to a live operator who has the ability to dispatch police units just as well as a 911 operator can. P.S. I am an operator for a vol EMS.
    That may be the case for some but not all. We don't have local dispatch and are instructed to call 911. I don't see why some are being so judgemental about those who are doing what they are instructed to do and those being good samaritans.

12-02-08 06:44 AM
    The big thing here is some towns/cities are different. For example if you live in Phily and you call your local precinct number you get a desk Sgt. answering the phone who will instruct you to call 911 for anything from a homeless guy sleeping on your porch to you have a tummy ache to you have drug dealers on the corner. The reason he does not dispatch nor does he have the capability to. His/her phone does not record either so if there was a mistake they could not review. Some places are just different. They told her to call so that they had it on file for patrol purposes and they can see where illegal activity is.

12-02-08 08:31 AM
    here in my area we have a non emergency regular number to call if it isn't a emergency.
    12-02-08 09:54 AM

+100000

totally agree.
    12-02-08 10:23 AM
    Forgive me if this has already been said, but why not get to know the officers patrolling you area, and get their work cell numbers, I have sheriff's that patrol our area, and I got all there numbers, if I see something goes down, I just call there cell #, which goes directly to their truck, and get there quicker than if I called 911.

And as far as somebody coming into your home, wouldn't you want them to hear the beep? I'm sure if they heard it, they would leave, if they didn't hear it, they would just assume that you are still sleeping, then the next thing you know, there in your room, and you will have a bigger problem on your hands!

12-02-08 10:39 AM
    lalifegaurds you said everything. I agree 100%.

Now back to the question about someone breaking in your house... Why are you people even thinking about grabbing a phone before a gun?

12-02-08 12:11 PM
    Now back to the question about someone breaking in your house... Why are you people even thinking about grabbing a phone before a gun?
    Because some don't agree with guns. Or may take in foster children so they are not allowed to have guns in a house. But then again this will be something you won't agree with since you don't help anyone in need.

12-02-08 12:23 PM
    I don't see how the "don't call 911" responses have anything to do with the question. The problem is that the phone is loudly beeping whenever the OP calls 911. I've heard of several Verizon devices, including BlackBerry devices, doing this and I believe that it's quite dangerous. Has anyone called Verizon (or whichever carrier) and asked/complained about this?
    12-02-08 04:45 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD