I am getting an 8900 within a couple days off the bay and I think it will be a t- mobile version but I'm wondering if the GPS is hindered in any way? Like do you need some kind of plan from the provider such as telenav from AT&T? or can you just fire up blackberry maps and it find your location via the GPS?

Also I will be using the 8900 on a smaller gsm network (Unicel) that does not have any GPS plans or even carry any blackberries so this phone will be sim unlocked basically running on a no-name carrier, but I may be getting Tmobile service within a couple of months and would like to know if it would work with them at not extra cost as well?

If it matters, this will not be my first BB, my last BB was a 8220 from tmo
    08-11-09 07:39 PM
    GPS is not hindered in any way. Have fun
    08-11-09 07:40 PM
    also, I prefer google maps on my 8900. It is just more functional
    08-11-09 07:41 PM
    Well yes google maps is what I would use as well but I had forgotten about that.
    08-11-09 07:43 PM
    GPS should not be hindered in anyway but you would have to have unicel's data plan in order for it to work while you're on the road.

Off topic: I thought that verizon bought out unicel? My dad use to have unicel but now has verizon since they bought unicel out.
    08-11-09 07:44 PM
    Well ok so the gps would find your location and the data would be to load the map pictures right? ...and Im hoping that would also work over wifi?

Off topic: I thought that verizon bought out unicel? My dad use to have unicel but now has verizon since they bought unicel out
    Well Unicel did get bought out by verizon at first but then AT&T bought them out, at least in my state because verizon would have been a monopoly in this area so it is possible that in some states unicel is not AT&T and Verizon. So now being on Unicel is kinda neat because technically they are gone but the service is running off AT&T towers for the same prices we got from Unicel, which btw was the best ever: $50/month unlimited calling Free incomming calls Free incomming Texts PAYG MMS'ing ~$10 unlimited txting and 2mb free data then 1/ct a KB
    08-11-09 07:51 PM
    I'm not sure if google maps or blackberry maps would work on wifi or not. If it does, will u have a wifi connection when you're on the road when you're actually using the gps function?

Also do you have a data plani think it will transmit and receive a lot of data since 1 cent a kb can add up pretty quick.

I didn't know ATT bought out verizon as well. I've been under a rock lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-09 07:56 PM
    Well that is a good point you bring up about being on the road but to be honest I probably wont be using the GPS on the 8900 that much (especially on the road) because I do have a full functional GPS for my car [Navigon] so I just wanted to know so that when I may try and use it on the road it would work...and btw I know 2MB isnt that much but I do have 2MB worth of data to use before I get charged the 1ct/kb so 2MB would be enough to test it out or maybe get some quick directions
    08-11-09 08:05 PM
    Sounds like a good plan maybe some gps expert might come in and give us more info about how much data the gps will use. I just don't want youi to be surprise when the bill comes in lol. And weather or not the gps works on wifi I truely don't know cause I didn't bother with it until I got my data plan.

I think my dad was on the same plan as you were. Unlimited everything but I think it was locally n not national. I think he was not roaming in alabama, georgia, and florida. But regardless its an awesome plan that unicel has.

08-11-09 08:09 PM
    ya its too bad that that arnt around anymore, they truely did have the best plans for any carrier, maybe thats why they got bought out...? lol anyway ya thanks for your help, maybe when I do get my 8900 I'll see if it works over wifi... I know it may seem dumb but I mainly try to avoid using cellular data over any phone because its usually alot and you almost always need a plan or it wont work [another reason why I loved unicel, you never needed a plan u just pay as you use] I mainly use the bb for the great OS, apps, keypad and the decent hardware that is able to be used to its full potential [ya thats comming from an iphone user...lol] so when I go and talk to a carrier about a new blackberry and see how it is they are almost baffled that I dont really use it for the data access BB's are known for, or I at least just try to use anything data related over wifi, but I found out with my first wifi bb (8220) that some apps are limited and will only work over edge or 3g and for a user like me its hard because the phone is great but not being able to use all the phones functions over wifi kills it.
    Last edited by evilp8ntballer7; 08-11-09 at 08:20 PM.
    08-11-09 08:18 PM
    To tell you the truth I didn't have a data plan until now. I started using a bb a while back with the 8100. The two years that I used it I didn't have a data plan. That's because I didn't need data but the 8100 was still used to its full potential because of the great os. Until recently when I bought a 8900 I need push email because my university uses email as a main way to communicate so I said heck why not and I also get to use the gps that the 8900 offers. All in all I hope you grab yourself an 8900 and enjoy it!

08-11-09 08:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD