I know Verizon often locks up the GPS on their devices (until recently for some Pearl and Curve users who upgraded)... Does AT&T do the same (I know they have telenav) and will the 8900's GPS be locked as well?

How about those users in Canada and Germany? Is your GPS locked on your 8900?
    12-07-08 10:21 PM
    Not at all... I think it's much harder for gsm carriers to lock anything (or more costly).

All the devices I've had that had gps, I was able to use google maps on.
    12-07-08 10:36 PM
    thanks! I cannot wait!
    12-07-08 10:41 PM
    So AT&T will have the 8900?
    12-07-08 10:48 PM
    Silly CDMA carriers
    12-07-08 10:48 PM
    So AT&T will have the 8900?
    YES... and hopefully before Tmobile
    12-07-08 10:52 PM
    YES... and hopefully before Tmobile
    in regards to the dimensions; will it be the same size as the Curve(s)?
    12-07-08 11:00 PM
    12-07-08 11:05 PM
    Curve 8900:

Dimensions
    4.3 x 2.4 x 0.5 inches (109 x 60 x 13.5 mm) Size Compare
    Weight
    3.8 oz (109 g)

Curve 8300/8310/8320/8330:

Deminsions
    4.2 x 2.4 x 0.6 inches (107 x 60 x 15.5 mm) Size Compare
    Weight
    3.9 oz (111 g)
    12-07-08 11:06 PM
    Thanks, something new for me to obsess over
    12-07-08 11:14 PM
    The bold wasn't enough?
    12-07-08 11:38 PM
    This may sound crazy but I didn't really like the bold.
    The 8900 looks like my new upgrade.
    12-07-08 11:47 PM
    Me2... I was all about to get a Bold and then when I saw it in person decided it was too big for me (want something I can take EVERYWHERE and fit it in my pocket). Also now that Bla1ze and some others have been posting about the great browser speeds, I'm absolutely STOKED!
    12-08-08 12:25 AM
    Ahh, this stuff is like crack, can't get enough of it! Just found my next upgrade!!
    12-08-08 12:39 AM
    the bold is perfect for me because of its size

but im not ruling the 8900 out

i have to see it when it comes out

and get a chance to hold it
    12-08-08 01:22 AM
    This may sound crazy but I didn't really like the bold.
    The 8900 looks like my new upgrade.
    Not crazy at all... it's all good, as long as you keep it in the RIM fam!
    12-08-08 01:50 AM
    ^Always!
    anyone know what colors it will be available in? (to lazy to look)
    12-08-08 11:06 AM
    I was turned off by the size of the Bold, and then when I thought about it, I only really wanted it for the 3G. So now that leaves me with the iPhone 3G and the 8900 and I don't want to get an iPhone. I can use the wifi on an 8900 to get faster speeds than 3G anyway.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-08 12:12 PM
    I have the 8900 on Rogers. I've been trying to determine if my GPS is working on this carrier. I did run google aps and it says attempting to get details from GPS, but it's not clear.

I went into the main options, under GPS and Data Source is set to Device GPS. GPS services is set to Location On. However, there is no data. Everything is blank.

Any one else having this issue?
    12-17-08 11:38 AM
    That's a known issue with GMaps.
    Try using the BBMaps app and see how that works out for you.
    12-17-08 01:55 PM
    That's a known issue with GMaps.
    Try using the BBMaps app and see how that works out for you.
    I gave BBmaps a shot, and it just shows "Searching for Satellites". 5 mins later, it's still doing that. Is it possible that Rogers has blocked GPS usage from my phone?
    12-18-08 05:29 PM
    I gave BBmaps a shot, and it just shows "Searching for Satellites". 5 mins later, it's still doing that. Is it possible that Rogers has blocked GPS usage from my phone?
    I doubt that Rogers would lock the gps on the phone considering it come with the wifi/gps combo to keep everything on one phone.

Mistake me if I am wrong, but as far as I know, Rogers doesn't have it's own gps service does it? If they did I could understnad why they would do that, but bb maps is something you should be able to use on your phone regardless considering that it comes from RIM and they make the phone.

As far as searching for satellites, that may be a spot of bad luck on your part. You might have a clear shot at a satellite 100% of the time. A lot of it can depend on where you live, terrain, that kind of thing. I would suggest going to a different part of town or outside or something to see if it works better, maybe a satellite has moved over your area a little more.
    12-18-08 07:40 PM
    I have never heard of GSM providers locking things on phones. CDMA carriers are infamous for it though.
    12-18-08 09:16 PM
    I doubt that Rogers would lock the gps on the phone considering it come with the wifi/gps combo to keep everything on one phone.

Mistake me if I am wrong, but as far as I know, Rogers doesn't have it's own gps service does it? If they did I could understnad why they would do that, but bb maps is something you should be able to use on your phone regardless considering that it comes from RIM and they make the phone.

As far as searching for satellites, that may be a spot of bad luck on your part. You might have a clear shot at a satellite 100% of the time. A lot of it can depend on where you live, terrain, that kind of thing. I would suggest going to a different part of town or outside or something to see if it works better, maybe a satellite has moved over your area a little more.
    Well I was having no luck so I called Rogers support just to see if I was losing my mind. The tech appeared to know what I was talking about. He told me the GPS is enabled but an application must be used to request the data from a satellite.

He instructed me to go outside and then on bbmaps select Start GPS nativation. Then go back to the options and select find location > where I am. I was on my balcony (cold!), and it just said waiting. After a few minutes.. the tech on the phone suggested I pull the battery, and then do the same thing and it would work. I was freezing, so i told him thank you, and I'll see if it works.

I'm thinking i'll put this full test off until tomorrow. At least Rogers doesn't block GPS use.
    12-19-08 08:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD