I have a BlackBerry 8900 on AT&T and GPS is turned on and does work but I have no GPS "crosshairs" indicator on my screen telling me that GPS is on. Is there any way to turn it on in settings? I have enabled all the options in the GPS settings menu in options.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-11-09 05:46 PM
    But I don't get it, u say it does work but u don't see the icon? Is that it?

09-11-09 06:50 PM
    That's correct. My GPS is working because my location is followed in Google Maps but the little crosshair indicator that you would see on the screen, that works like the wireless signal indicator that let's you know that GPS is active, is not visible and I can't find a setting to make it visible

09-11-09 07:00 PM
    Just because your location is being followed by Google Maps that does not meanyour GPS is working. If your GPS is unavilable then Google Maps will use cell phone towers to triangulate your position for you. To setup your GPS, go to:

Options > Advanced Options > GPS > BB Button > Refresh GPS

Try with location aiding both on and off. Also, you need to be outside with a clear view of the sky when you do this. No obstructions and it may take up to 10 minutes.

09-11-09 07:53 PM
    Just because your location is being followed by Google Maps that does not meanyour GPS is working. If your GPS is unavilable then Google Maps will use cell phone towers to triangulate your position for you. To setup your GPS, go to:

Options > Advanced Options > GPS > BB Button > Refresh GPS

Try with location aiding both on and off. Also, you need to be outside with a clear view of the sky when you do this. No obstructions and it may take up to 10 minutes.

I have already refreshed my GPS like you said and it brings up coordinates as if GPS is onand functioning. GPS is working because when it is not. On and Google Maps uses cell towers I get an area of 800 meters that I may be in. But when GPS is on Google will fullow me down to feet and I have used it for geocaching so I know GPS is working its just that the indicator is not showing it to be on.

09-11-09 08:01 PM
    The next thing to do is a battery pull. If it still does not work then uninstall Google Maps, do a battery pull, re-install it and then do one more battery pull. After that, refresh GPS again then try again.

09-11-09 08:12 PM
    I'll try that. Has anyone here with an 8900 had the same issue?

09-11-09 08:21 PM
    I have never seen the indicator icon on any of my AT&T 8900 (and 9000 8310 8110 for that matter) or the tmobile 8900. The verizon storm does show the icon on the homescreen so I think its a carrier decision on whether that icon shows or not.

09-11-09 08:57 PM
    i have a 8900 with tmoble and i have never seen a icon?
    09-11-09 09:17 PM
    there is no GPS icon.
    09-12-09 01:56 AM
    Well that answers that question.

Thanks.

09-12-09 07:15 AM
    I'll try that. Has anyone here with an 8900 had the same issue?

my 8310 had this icon but it seems the 8900 is lacking this feature.
    09-12-09 07:38 AM
    Similar performance with Live Search and YellowPages maps? No icon on my att 8900 either. Thought that since its operating in the background it needs no icon once its set up.

09-12-09 08:29 AM
    Similar performance with Live Search and YellowPages maps? No icon on my att 8900 either. Thought that since its operating in the background it needs no icon once its set up.

i support this statement.
    09-12-09 12:35 PM
    I've never seen a GPS icon on any of the GPS-enabled BBs I've had with Rogers. However, GPS has worked fine on all of them. Either there isn't one or it's carrier dependent as to whether or not it shows. Having seen screen shots online from a US carrier, I'd think it exists, but is carrier dependent. However, I've never personally seen it with Rogers in Canada though.
    09-12-09 01:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD