Somebody was kind enough to give me a GPS puck for free, as their carrier isn't a communist like Verizon. What software can I get on the 8830 that will allow me to get the most of out the puck (most features, not just a dot on the screen)?

Jeff
    03-28-08 07:43 AM
    For the most beautiful maps plus satellite photos, I recommend GoogleMaps. For navigation, I've settled on Nav4All so far. Both are free. Have fun!
    03-28-08 07:50 AM
    For the most beautiful maps plus satellite photos, I recommend GoogleMaps. For navigation, I've settled on Nav4All so far. Both are free. Have fun!
    I agree on both.
    03-28-08 09:53 AM
    Trekbuddy if you want to plan ahead and download maps for an area and then avoid using data or if you might be in an area without data.

Track and post your route gps-ed

bbtracker and blackberry tracker (different programs)

All free.

I've got a puck because, like you, verizon has locked my gps!!!
    03-28-08 10:24 AM
    What is a puck, and how do you get it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-08 05:06 PM
    I have been thinking about making use of my GPS by buying a puck but I'm not sure I would get enough use out of it since I am on a relatively small island and don't really get lost.
    03-28-08 05:11 PM
    What is a puck, and how do you get it?

A puck is merely a generic name for a small keychain sized GPS unit. IT IS THE GPS when your phone's gps is locked as it is with Verizon. It is generally a bluetooth device and can work with the variety of gps apps that you can load on your BB.
    03-28-08 09:00 PM
    What do I have to do to get my puck (Holux GPSslim 240) to work with my bb 8830 from Verizon (and google maps). I've gone to Options>Advanced Options>GPS and set GPS data source to the HOLUX (I've already synced that with my bluetooth) and GPS services location on. However, Google maps keeps waiting for the GPS (even though it's right next door to the phone). Is there some other secret setting I need to make?

Victor
    02-07-09 12:39 PM
    Try running BBMaps first, and getting a satellite lock with it. Then leave BBMaps running in the background and start Google Maps. Google Maps doesn't have a "Start GPS" command capability. I use that technique to use Google Maps with my Freedom Keychain 2000.
    02-07-09 12:45 PM
    I started BB Maps and after a few seconds it locked onto my Holux GPS. However, when I start Google maps (while still keeping BB maps running), it still says "waiting for GPS". Any other suggestions?

Victor
    02-08-09 12:06 AM
    Make sure tha� it is looking for the correct gps source.

02-08-09 09:45 AM
    I recently upgraded my Verizon 8830 to use operating system 4.5, and now
    I can't use my HOLUX puck. In the old system, I went through the rather hokey procedure of opening up BBmaps, and it would find my puck (eventually), and then google maps would work. However, with the new operating system, BBmaps won't find my puck at all! Any suggestions?

Victor
    05-20-09 02:53 PM
    amazegps looked great to me. I say looked because I'm on VZW and of course it wouldn't work on my crippled device
    05-20-09 05:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD