I need to re-flash a 8830 to a generic version (not carrier specific), anyone know where I can get a copy?
    06-24-08 04:24 PM
    Right here -
    BlackBerry - PDA Software Downloads - Support & Services at BlackBerry.com

If you use a different carrier's OS, be sure to go into the firmware after installing to the PC and delete the vendor.xml file.
    Last edited by Chaz; 06-24-08 at 04:38 PM.
    06-24-08 04:28 PM
    Don't think that's what I'm looking for... that's just the GUI, I need the actual firmware RIM puts on the phone before shipping to a provider.
    06-24-08 06:40 PM
    Yeah, Chaz is way off on this one. Come on dude, I thought you knew your stuff better then this.

Anyway, catchit, unfortunatly that's not something that's publicly available. RIM stuff isn't as easily hackable at the moment as WinMO devices. That will change with time. For now you're stuck with carrier firmware. Also, be aware that the branding is not something that's in the firmware, so you can't change that with a simple firmware flash.

BTW, what exactly are you trying to accomplish anyway? If you tell us that, I could tell you if you're spinning your wheels.

BTW, the firmware (also refered to as "core OS" for RIM devices) file is in the CDMA or GSM directory of the OS installs.
    06-24-08 07:21 PM
    Yeah, Chaz is way off on this one. Come on dude, I thought you knew your stuff better then this.

Anyway, catchit, unfortunatly that's not something that's publicly available. RIM stuff isn't as easily hackable at the moment as WinMO devices. That will change with time. For now you're stuck with carrier firmware. Also, be aware that the branding is not something that's in the firmware, so you can't change that with a simple firmware flash.

BTW, what exactly are you trying to accomplish anyway? If you tell us that, I could tell you if you're spinning your wheels.

BTW, the firmware (also refered to as "core OS" for RIM devices) file is in the CDMA or GSM directory of the OS installs.
    I have an 8830 branded by Bell. Their network uses MIP authentication and my NEW carrier I'm switching to uses SIP (Simple IP) for data. I've added SIP functionality to the phone by flashing it. However, when the phone tries to establish a 1X connection with the network it fails authentication with an incorrect password. I've verified the password is correct, both on the phone and with provisioning at the carrier level. I'm starting to think Bell puts some type of hash in front of the SIP user ID field to prevent using on another carrier.

Voice and SMS works, I have the master lock code and ability to re-flash the phone. Would love to hear some suggestions on why 1X authentication fails.
    06-24-08 07:58 PM
    I know this is a basic question, but if your account is properly provisioned for the phone then all you should have to do is an OTA activation of the phone. Now, each carrier seems to do things a little differently when it comes to the 6 digit lock code, but if you have the ability to read other CDMA phones of your current carrier, that should tell you what the code is... generally speaking, the carrier code should be the same for all phones... at least it is for Verizon.

Keep in mind that 1X and 1XEV authentication relies on your account being provisioned for a Blackberry device. If the plan isn't, then you will fail at that level. Check that. BTW, you'll also fail that authentication if you don't register the HRT on the phone once properly provisioned for RIM service on your account.
    06-24-08 11:55 PM
    I know this is a basic question, but if your account is properly provisioned for the phone then all you should have to do is an OTA activation of the phone. Now, each carrier seems to do things a little differently when it comes to the 6 digit lock code, but if you have the ability to read other CDMA phones of your current carrier, that should tell you what the code is... generally speaking, the carrier code should be the same for all phones... at least it is for Verizon.

Keep in mind that 1X and 1XEV authentication relies on your account being provisioned for a Blackberry device. If the plan isn't, then you will fail at that level. Check that. BTW, you'll also fail that authentication if you don't register the HRT on the phone once properly provisioned for RIM service on your account.
    I know the lock code, also have the ability to re-flash the phone beyond the options on the CDMA programming edit screen.

I've checked with the new carrier and the account is provisioned properly on their end. As I've mentioned, authentication keeps failing with wrong user/name password. (Of course I've verified these credentials with the carrier) Maybe the phone needs to be re-flashed with the CORE O/S, if only I could get my hands on it.

HTR (Host Routing Table) states *No entries* and when I try to register it, nothing happens. I assume because it needs to be connected to 1X first.

Any further suggestions... or know where I can get the 8830 core O/S RIM uses for a generic install?
    06-26-08 01:51 PM
    I have an 8830 branded with Sprint, as we all know sprint uses CDMA. I'm trying to send the phone to Venezuela, in Venezuela the phone can be easily used with the GSM portion, but could it be re-flashed to be used on the CDMA network down there??

Any suggestions would be useful!

Thanks!
    02-10-09 12:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD