I have an 8320, on AT&T with a data plan (not a BB data plan). I just got it yesterday and was able to connect to my home wireless (linksys). But when I went and looked in the Manage Connections next to Wifi it doesn't have a green check, but a yellow line. Does this mean it is still connected but something isn't working properly? Also, the WiFi logo is in the top right corner but stays grey. I didn't know if it turned to blue when it was connected properly? I d/l'd a few apps yesterday thinking I was on wifi but when I checked my ATT account this morning I had used 1MB or so of data that I didn't figure would be there. Any advice is appreciated. And I already read through the wifi-guide.

Edit: It has assigned me an IP Address and says Network acquired under Status: in the wi-fi diagnostics page. Also when I have the hotspot browser page open it says edge still in the top right. I'm guessing that means it's using Edge and not the wifi?
    Last edited by okbeast; 02-10-10 at 01:02 PM.
    02-10-10 12:59 PM
    What you are describing is normal.

Wifi is included in several BlackBerry models to support Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA). If your carrier supports UMA the Wifi status indicator goes Green and the Wifi Logo changes from Gray to Black and White.

Without carrier support, AT&T does not support UMA, Wifi can only be used with the Hotspot Browser.

You can verify which Browser is being used with: Browser / Options / Browser Configuration. At the top, it will indicte the active Brower. When Hotspot is active, you will not be charged for data.
    02-10-10 04:26 PM
    What you are describing is normal.

Wifi is included in several BlackBerry models to support Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA). If your carrier supports UMA the Wifi status indicator goes Green and the Wifi Logo changes from Gray to Black and White.

Without carrier support, AT&T does not support UMA, Wifi can only be used with the Hotspot Browser.

You can verify which Browser is being used with: Browser / Options / Browser Configuration. At the top, it will indicte the active Brower. When Hotspot is active, you will not be charged for data.
    So even while it is yellow it will still access the wifi network on the Hotspot Browser. Is there anyway to tell if it is accessing the wifi network say in Opera Mini 5 Beta 2?

I just looked at my att account online again and it looks like I used another 2mb, must have been while I was on Opera Mini. Good thing I noticed I almost went over my amount. I did notice the wifi logo in the top right with the Hotspot Browser, I guess I will just have to start using that.

So if I can set my router up to support UMA will the wifi work on one of the Opera Browsers?
    02-10-10 05:59 PM
    Well after doing alot of looking, sounds like ATT still doesn't support UMA, which is I think what you said above^^.

So the only browser I can use is the 'Hotspot' to not get charged for data even though I have the wifi enabled (while it is in the yellow bar).

I'm guessing it needs to look like this:
    (well I don't have enough posts to post an image, but it had the wi/fi in a bold black/white color)
    for me to be able to use any browser and not be charged?

This is quite odd, I always figured wi-fi was wi-fi. Very weird that one browser will use the wifi while the other will only use Edge. I wish I would have known this before getting the 8320.

Just noticed that the WiFi shows up in the black/white while using the Pandora App. Lol this is so confusing as to what will work on wifi and what won't. What if the WiFi is staying grey while using the 'Hotspot Browser', does this mean it is using data? Sorry for all the questions...
    Last edited by okbeast; 02-10-10 at 06:51 PM.
    02-10-10 06:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD