i have an 8320. i also have this small bluetooth gps receiver, since the 8320 doesnt have a built in one. the receiver can connect and find my location... but i dont have any maps so it shows a red dot, but no map.

can i download maps for free?

or are there any free apps that i can use?

i dont want to use data cuz i have the bluetooth receiver, i just want free maps for BB maps or an app.
    03-23-08 03:25 PM
    can google maps use the bluetooth gps without using data?
    03-23-08 03:28 PM
    Avmsam. Are you saying your 8320 doesn't have a BB data plan associated with it? If it does have a data plan, google maps should work for you. If not, I don't know of any maps app that works without data, but maybe someone else does. Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-08 03:45 PM
    Trekbuddy can use maps you can download in advance.

Go to this site to create maps

gm2tb - GoogleMaps 2 TrekBuddy maps
    03-23-08 04:13 PM
    Avmsam. Are you saying your 8320 doesn't have a BB data plan associated with it? If it does have a data plan, google maps should work for you. If not, I don't know of any maps app that works without data, but maybe someone else does. Good luck.

i dont have a data plan of any sort. i dont want to use data cuz it costs too much. im looking for a free option that can work with an external gps receiver
    03-23-08 05:41 PM
    Most, if not all, map applications get their data from the internet. So without a data plan, you can't get the map data.
    03-23-08 05:48 PM
    dam, i was hoping there was an app that came with maps so that it would use the maps off the memory card or something rather than data.

i have used tomtom(which does what im talking about) on a nokia e61i and it was really good. problem is that tomtom doesnt work on blackberries, only windows mobile and symbian devices..

well, i still hope someone can suggest an app that doesnt need data.
    Last edited by avmsam; 03-23-08 at 06:47 PM.
    03-23-08 06:36 PM
    data costs less than the hassle of finding non-data plan friendly apps!

03-23-08 11:17 PM
    data costs less than the hassle of finding non-data plan friendly apps!

hahahah....nice

i dunno about that. in canada we have some ridiculous rates when it comes to cell phones. our plans aren't anywhere as affordable as the ones in the states. dont even mention data... thats a whole different level of crap. there was a worldwide study and canada's rates came in worse than third world countries. its not even all about the horrible prices too, its also the fact that we dont have nearly as much options when it comes to plans or data. whenever i come down to the states im always soo amazed. i usually use an american line for the duration of my trip cuz its just soo cheap. u guys have unlimited data plans.. we dont even have unlimited calling plans.

heres a link about the stats:
    hxxp://www.thomaspurves.com/2007/04/09/canada-worse-than-3rd-world-countries-when-it-comes-to-mobile-data-access/

hxxp://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/2087/125/
    Last edited by avmsam; 03-24-08 at 12:04 AM.
    03-23-08 11:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD