This is extremely frustrating because I've spent hours combing the web (including this site) for answers, and every thread I've seen with this issue has been unresolved.

The curve I got yesterday was lagging *right out of the box*. There is always a delay between the trackball and the cursor. I hear the click long before the cursor moves.

I noticed it immediately, way before I installed any apps. It takes sometimes half a second or more to switch between icons on the main page. Scrolling through menus (like the text only menu in Options) is barely better, there is always this slight delay that is not supposed to be there. I know this because I used a Pearl before this phone for a week, and it was SILKY smooth. (I only "upgraded" because I wanted a full keyboard.)

Yes, I tried the standard recommendations: battery pull; ALT-LGLG, clear log. Apps running in the background are not the issue -- I don't have any. When I exit apps, yes I CLOSE them, and yes I make sure they don't show up on the app switcher. I have no emails and only a handfull of texts to delete because, remember I just got this thing yesterday.

Memory is 17MB. I uninstalled Facebook. I have Viigo, but like I said, I always make sure it's CLOSED when I exit it. I could delete a few more things, but I don't think it's a memory problem at this point; I know for fact that there are no apps clogging the system, but something more fundamental than that. The Pearl I had before ran PERFECTLY with all kinds of apps in the background, including Viigo and Facebook and the blackberry browser and Opera Mini *at the same time.* I had dozens, perhaps hundreds of texts kicking around and never problem.

Here, the trackball is lagging with nothing running, from the very minute I turn on the device.

So before I return the device, do you knowledgeable folks have any idea why this is?

I am running v4.5.0.81, that's what it came with.

Thanks a bunch.
    Last edited by WarKrieg; 03-24-09 at 08:58 AM.
    03-24-09 08:55 AM
    What do you have your trackball sensitivity set to?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-09 08:59 AM
    I would either take it back or wipe the device and reload the OS. The newest update for you I believe is 4.5.0.124
    03-24-09 09:01 AM
    Go into your "options" menu on your BB menu screen. Scroll down to where it says "Screen/Keyboard". Select that option and scroll down again. You will see the option for "trackball sensitivity". Set it to a higher number and see if that helps your issue. The higher the number, the greater the sensitivity.

03-24-09 09:03 AM
    Trackball sensitivity is set at 80. I tried anything from 70 to 100, no improvement. At the higher numbers, the cursor just jumps further, without getting any smoother.
    03-24-09 09:08 AM
    I appreciate the help, you guys are *fast*.

Kangaruex, I see we have the save phone and carrier, I take it you're not experiencing this?
    03-24-09 09:11 AM
    Then I would do as SD says. I am sorry it didn't work. I would want a device that is 100% if I were the one paying for it. Taking it back may be your best/only option.

03-24-09 09:11 AM
    Yes we do share a common BB and carrier. I am not experiencing anything like you are. I did have issues with my trackball out of the box as well, but it was fixed by fine tuning the trackball sensitivity levels.

Some other members here may have another solution for you, if not don't hesitate to return it promptly.

T-Mobile has excellent customer service in my opinion. Hopefully they will either be able to explain to you how you can fix it, or ship you out another BB ASAP. It is truly frustrating having a new toy thats broken out of the box.

03-24-09 09:17 AM
    War, I have 2 8320 with Tmo. One is running .81 and the other .124. I would do what SD said. I will tell you this though. .124 runs way faster than .81. The .124 I run , I removed VAD, my faves and other things I dont use and I have more file free than .81. It is up to you to do the upgrade if your comfortable with it. If not return the device and see if a new one fixes your issue.
    03-24-09 09:24 AM
    I'll try re-installing the OS tonight and failling that, will exchange the device at the store tomorrow. I can't return it today 'cause I left all the packaging at home.
    03-24-09 09:46 AM
    Ok follow the link in my signature for proper upgrade/downgrade. Those instructions will help tremendously. Also look at the Crackmem one too. It is easy to use and will help you remove unwanted things from the OS before install. Get the OS from the sticky in the top of the 83xx forums. If you need assistance beyond that feel free to pin or pm me. Good luck.
    03-24-09 10:06 AM
    Well... couldn't wait any more so I did go back to the store and exchange it... it's the "click". The new device has the trackball click disabled by default, and it seemed like an immediate improvement until I turned it on the screen/keyboard options. Then it lagged just like the old one.

In the end, much ado about nothing apparently, this is just how the Curve works, so I have peace of mind now. I do wish I could have found some mention of this online. In the dozens of reviews and evals I read, not one mentioned that the Pearl (8100) was a lot smoother to operate. The difference is quite jarring -- night and day, really. Not enough to make me go back to the limited keyboard, but worth a mention still.

Also, my coworker who is running an older OS on his Curve has it noticeably smoother as well. So 4.5 might have something to do with it.

Will look into .124 tonight.

Thanks all.
    03-24-09 12:47 PM
    Well... couldn't wait any more so I did go back to the store and exchange it... it's the "click". The new device has the trackball click disabled by default, and it seemed like an immediate improvement until I turned it on the screen/keyboard options. Then it lagged just like the old one.
    I have T-Mobile and don't have your lagging problem with or without the "click". Your track back movement does it feel like there is grit moving under the ball when you move it, or nice smooth roller movement?

There have been some bad trackballs, that were either not polished completely smooth or had bad rollers in them. Once swapped out, they are smooth as silk.
    Last edited by BlkBear; 03-24-09 at 01:46 PM.
    03-24-09 01:41 PM
    I know exactly how you feel my phone does that too. However, being a blackberry newbie I thought that was normal. Now, im out of the return range and I cant give it back but I understand where your coming from...
    03-24-09 02:13 PM
    this is not a reply but I can't find the tab for new post. I want to scroll when on webpages using the side bar. HOW DO I DO IT? I seem to get a hand but it will not grab the scroll and let me pull it down. oh, I have a 8320.
    09-15-09 09:03 AM
    Your question has nothing to do with this old thread.

To create a new thread, use the "New Thread" button located under the purple tool bars at the top of the page.
    09-15-09 09:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD