I have the BB curve 8310 for att. I downloaded BB Maps it's installed but when I load it there is only a graph no streets. when I drive it will tell me how fast i'm going but not where I'm going. so my real question is if I download google maps or any other APP do I need to have a data plan for the internal GPS to work. I'm currently not on any data plan and I was looking to see if I'm able to take advantage if the internal GPS. Any help would be great thanks.

Big33
    08-08-08 06:42 AM
    Data is used to fetch the maps, so no data no map and no directions. Get data and unleash all the capabilities of yoir bb. You won't regret it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-08 06:57 AM
    You don't NEED the Data plan for the GPS to work- it just means you can't use it to its full potential. Like you said- you could see how fast you were going but not WHERE you were going. So that means the GPS was working.
    08-08-08 08:38 AM
    so your saying I need the data plan in order to see maps on the phone? what is the purpose of the intergrated gps built in for then
    08-11-08 06:44 AM
    so your saying I need the data plan in order to see maps on the phone? what is the purpose of the intergrated gps built in for then
    The integrated GPS receives the signals from the GPS satellites and processes that data into location information that can be used by a mapping app. The BlackBerry doesn't come with built-in maps. You get those in realtime as needed using your data plan.

08-11-08 07:23 AM
    thank you I will have to look into a data plan then
    08-12-08 05:58 AM
    The GPS is a cool feature of the 8310, but you will find out that there are many, many more benefits of having a data plan than downloading maps.
    08-12-08 06:09 AM
    thank you I will have to look into a data plan then
    Now it's becoming, not so free anymore! ;-)
    " Nothing in life is free "

08-12-08 06:35 AM
    Unless you find a 3rd party app the $30 BlackBerry Personal plan doesn't include GPS. You have to get the $9.99 GPS package on top of it to cover connecting to Telenav's satellites. Most of the people I know just use Google Maps or Map Quest after getting the data plan.
    08-12-08 10:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD