I have a brand new ATT 8120 and I can't get online w/ wifi connection. I don't have a data plan and have data turned off. I'm using the hotspot browser and I just get a message that says "Unable to connect to the Internet, please try again later." WTF? Please help. I'm starting to get pissed.
    04-06-08 03:58 PM
    I thought you needed a data plan to use wifi maybe im wrong heh.
    04-06-08 04:00 PM
    you can use the browser but nt applications... goto browser settings and change to wifi browser
    04-08-08 06:29 AM
    i just turn my mobile connection off and its ok...where in the BB browser do you have a wifi option???
    04-08-08 06:56 AM
    From your browser hit the menu key and select options. Click on browser settings, at the top you will see default browser hit menu key again and select change option and a list will appear for you to choose from. You should find it there.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-08-08 07:05 AM
    try hot spot browser...
    media net is the one that charges you for data
    04-08-08 01:47 PM
    The hotspot browser is what I have been trying to use. I have tried on random connections, att hotspots, and those at my house and work. It hasn't connected once. Should I contact my service provider and ask them what hell? I don't know what to do, and no one sems to have any advice other than things I've already tried myself.
    04-08-08 04:05 PM
    I am having the same problem and I also have AT7T. I have spent hours on the phone with them and still no solution. I don't know what to do to fix it. Let me know if you figure it out. I want to call BlackBerry and ask them because AT7T has no idea about WiFi. Blackberry doesn't have a 1-800 number on their website. It says to call your provider. What help is it ?
    04-14-08 06:46 PM
    Please can anybody clarify it to me? T-mobile reps told me that I can not browse internet using free wi-fi if I don't have the data plan. The same is true is for Curve, but not for Shadow.

Can anybody confirm this? Why should we pay to T-mobile for using unrestricted w-fi connections? Is there a way to install a different browser?
    Thanks!
    04-14-08 07:57 PM
    I am calling blackberry tomorrow to clairify this issue. It seems to need the data plan. This makes no sense to me because if i am going to pay $30 for the package when I could just used my old phone internet for $30. What would be the point of having wifi?

I will get back with you on what I find out.
    04-15-08 07:32 PM
    I am calling blackberry tomorrow to clairify this issue. It seems to need the data plan. This makes no sense to me because if i am going to pay $30 for the package when I could just used my old phone internet for $30. What would be the point of having wifi?

please post the answer
    04-15-08 08:47 PM
    Called TMO..they told me again the same thing.,...can't use wifi to browse internet w/o data plan.
    04-16-08 10:34 PM

Did you hear back from AT&T or blackberry?
    04-20-08 01:28 PM
    This is the conversation I had with ATT chat:

Thank you for your patience! An AT&T sales representative will be with you shortly.
    Chat InformationYou are now chatting with Lissette, an AT&T sales representative.
    Lissette: Welcome to AT&T online Sales support. How may I assist you with placing your order today?
    jim: Hello. I'm interested in the BlackBerry 8120 with new service. Do I have to sign up for a blackberry bundle also?
    Lissette: You do not have to unless you want to use the web.
    jim: Great. Can I still access the web using the wifi feature?
    Lissette: Yes you can.
    jim: Thank you very much you've answered all my questions.
    04-23-08 05:13 PM
    Called TMO..they told me again the same thing.,...can't use wifi to browse internet w/o data plan.
    That is quite redic...

Im using my T-Mo Curve on At&t....WiFi (no data plan) and its working fine...
    04-23-08 05:24 PM
    This is the conversation I had with ATT chat:

Thank you for your patience! An AT&T sales representative will be with you shortly.
    Chat InformationYou are now chatting with Lissette, an AT&T sales representative.
    Lissette: Welcome to AT&T online Sales support. How may I assist you with placing your order today?
    jim: Hello. I'm interested in the BlackBerry 8120 with new service. Do I have to sign up for a blackberry bundle also?
    Lissette: You do not have to unless you want to use the web.
    jim: Great. Can I still access the web using the wifi feature?
    Lissette: Yes you can.
    jim: Thank you very much you've answered all my questions.
    can anyone confirm this with actually using the 8120 without a data plan? im interested in buying one...but the wifi usage without the plan is the dealbreaker...
    04-24-08 09:58 AM
    Just ordered my 8120, if this data plan really is a requirement to use WIFI (that would be really f-ing dumb) and AT&T is not informing their customers upfront...is there a lawyer in the house??

My PDA + Skype in China through the hotel and factory wifi networks worked SWEET! The whole purpose of getting this phone is to carry one item. The PDA can stay at home.
    Last edited by sav0320; 04-28-08 at 01:36 PM.
    04-28-08 01:34 PM
    I have a brand new ATT 8120 and I can't get online w/ wifi connection. I don't have a data plan and have data turned off. I'm using the hotspot browser and I just get a message that says "Unable to connect to the Internet, please try again later." WTF? Please help. I'm starting to get pissed.
    just use the regular internet browser. isnt hotspot a paid service?
    04-29-08 01:18 AM
    my new 8120 finds wifi networks (home or free coffee shops) but won't connect. i am getting a signal strength and everything but when i open my browser it says "data services are disabled go to network options to enable" i am using the hotspot browser. i also have that little yellow circle next to my wifi name and the "wi-fi" on my home screen is grey, not blue. At&T told me to ring blackberry but i'd have to pay for an incident call i think. help!
    04-29-08 03:52 PM
    People, I figured this out in five minutes...turn on "data services" in the manage connections, then Mobile Network Options folders.

I do not have a data plan.
    It works sweet. 200kb photos display in two seconds.

PS - read the manual - even when you are on WiFi and connected, it will always remain gray without the Blackberry services active.
    04-30-08 10:44 AM
    People, I figured this out in five minutes...turn on "data services" in the manage connections, then Mobile Network Options folders.

I do not have a data plan.
    It works sweet. 200kb photos display in two seconds.

PS - read the manual - even when you are on WiFi and connected, it will always remain gray without the Blackberry services active.
    sav0320, couple of questions. are you using the blackberry browser or did you have to download and use the Opera browser. Can you only browse the internet with wifi, or can you use google maps, email, weather, etc?
    05-01-08 07:43 PM
    Using BB browser to type this. Only internet with WiFi. This web looks much better on here compared to my HP 2495 PDA.

05-01-08 08:43 PM
    ... Only internet with WiFi. ...

Yes, but Browser is a beauty in it's own rights too. Give me a key press over a finger flink any day.
    05-01-08 08:50 PM
    I just got a new Pearl 8120 through T-Mobile and I can use wifi wherever i can get a connection with no problem. I don't have an internet plan. You'll get different answers depending on the csr u talk to. The BB tech at tmobile told me I had to have the data plan to use wifi. The next day I call and am told I can use wifi for free w/out the data plan.
    05-01-08 11:18 PM
    I am having that pesky phantom missed call indicator. I have tried everything and it won't go away. It's the phone icon w/ a 1 and an x next to it. I've checked every folder, removed the battery w/ the ph powered on. Any new suggestions?
    05-01-08 11:20 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD