Hi guys this is my first post so please help me in sort out my problem
    My phone is Blackberry 8120 on orangeUK. The problem is when i switch on wifi. the call quality becomes terrible. It breaks, echos and does all strange things both when recieving and making calls. It dosent happen when wifi is switched off. Mine is a brand new phone just bought yesterday.So is it a faulty phone or some other problem?
    05-23-09 03:28 PM
    I suspect you are experiencing interference. Your Wifi connection uses the same radio frequencies as portable phones, garage door openers and many other household items.

The first thing to do is a site survey.

Connections / Wifi Options. Menu / Wifi Diagnostics. Menu / Site Survey.

Your network should show a strong (low number) signal. Look for other strong signals on the same or adjacent channels. If there are others, you can change your channel to avoid them. Channel 1 and 11 are the least susceptible to interference.

05-23-09 07:20 PM
    Tried a battery pull?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-09 08:15 PM
    I did everything as the previous post. But still it happens. while in any call the signal turns from uma to gprs. why is it changing from uma to gprs?? this is the problem that creates the trouble? how do i solve it?
    05-24-09 05:30 AM
    Unfortunalty, your posting style leaves an open question:

Do you get "UMA/EDGE" or "uma/edge"?

In this case, capital letters mean you have a full BIS connection. Lower case means you have voice and SMS text, but no BIS connection.

Have you subscribed to a BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) plan?

Use Connections / Wifi Options. Menu / Wifi Diagnostics. Scroll down to UMA and note any error messages present.
    05-24-09 09:55 AM
    Unfortunalty, your posting style leaves an open question:

Do you get "UMA/EDGE" or "uma/edge"?

In this case, capital letters mean you have a full BIS connection. Lower case means you have voice and SMS text, but no BIS connection.

Have you subscribed to a BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) plan?

Use Connections / Wifi Options. Menu / Wifi Diagnostics. Scroll down to UMA and note any error messages present.
    Ni I havent subscribed to BIS. MIne is lower cae uma. and I am not able to view personal email setting option. Is there any way I can configure email for use in hotspot?
    05-24-09 10:39 AM
    Got you now, I used mine exactly the same way for a while.

You can not use Email, BlackBerry Messenger, Maps any third party software that requires data or a network connection.

Set your default Browser to HotSpot. You can access the Internet when you have a Wifi signal. Web based email like Google Gmail can be accessed in the Browser.

The problem is when i switch on wifi. the call quality becomes terrible. It breaks, echos and does all strange things both when receiving and making calls. It doesn't happen when wifi is switched off. ...
    This makes it an interesting question. Usually, the issue is not getting a UMA connection. There is no easily accessible way of disabling UMA, but it can be done without affecting your Wifi connection.

If you are inclined to try it, review this thread and post your thoughts there.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f65/uma...apping-218920/
    05-24-09 04:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD