I spend a lot of time in Brazil and use a local GSM carrier's SIM card there. Was thinking of picking up a 8320 and using the HotSpot W-Fi feature while in USA to save costs.

Was wondering if this Wi-Fi feature can be utilized in other countries like Brazil to save on calling cost ( I thought I was being ripped off in USA with cell plan till I paid 5x as much for half the minutes on a plan in BR)

Anyone know a resource that would detail the 8320's Wi-Fi benefit around the world?

Thanks in advance for your input.....
    Last edited by spgny; 09-07-08 at 05:01 PM.
    09-07-08 03:38 PM
    Is this about the 8320 or 8120
    09-07-08 04:50 PM
    Sorry..8320...
    09-07-08 04:59 PM
    No you can't. Calling over UMA is a carrier specific feature and will not work in other countries.
    09-07-08 05:14 PM
    What about the BOLD? Will that Wi-Fi feature be useful with worldwide carriers and Wi-Fi hotspots for saving calling costs?
    09-07-08 05:17 PM
    well I bet the WiFi for data would work but the voice feature won't
    09-07-08 05:22 PM
    I have heard from numerous sources (who use T-mobile) that in another country you can call using a wifi connection and it only deducts your usual domestic minutes.
    09-15-08 03:55 PM
    yes, you can use it to make calls. this is how it works...

when you leave the US, you can only call people in the US. basically the network default is that you're making a call from a US number to a US number. therefore, the call is deducted from your plan minutes or is unlimited if you have unlimited hotspot calling. but if you're in brasil with a US tmobile phone and plan, and you try to call a brasilian number, it is an international long distance call, even if you're on wifi. again, this is because it assumes you're calling from the US, and therefore it's treated like you're calling from the US to brasil.

i use mine to make calls back to the US from japan at least twice a year.
    09-16-08 05:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD