My 8100 is wiped and I can't install new OS. There is just in icon on the screen that has a circle, square, and a triangle and the icon has a circle around it and a slash across the icon. When I try to restore from the back-up file I created before the wipe, desktop manager says that it is disconnected. Help! How do I get the new OS on or at the very least, restore from my old file?

Thanks!
    01-25-09 01:06 AM
    My hubby had exactly the same problem an hour ago. Let me ask him how he did it.
    01-25-09 01:11 AM
    Problem: When trying to re-install an operating system that constantly intializes, Desktop Manager will not recognize the device.

Solution: The following walkthough!

FYI this will work for any handheld that constantly initializes.. aka the hourglass of doom.

1. Install the desktop software.
    2. Install the handheld software. (If it is a non Vendor software.. exp. T-Mobile. search and delete the "vendor.xml" file.)
    3. Pull the battery out of your device.
    4. With the battery out connect the device to the computer.
    5. Go to Options and select "connection settings"
    6. Select USB PIN this may take a few moments since there is no battery in the device. you might even have to select detect device in some rare cases.
    7. Select the application loader icon.
    8. Select all software you want installed.
    9. Proceed to the end portion untill you see the "Finish" button.
    10. Very IMPORTANT. do not hit the finish button, instead select the ADVANCED button.
    11. Make sure both boxes are checked.
    12. Proceed until it asks you if you want to automatically back up and restore. Select DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY BACK UP MY HANDHELD.
    13. Once the process starts. take care not to bump out the cord and re-insert the battery. Again on some rare occasions you might have to wait until it finishes saying connect to insert the battery.

THIS MAY FAIL THE FIRST OR SECOND TIME DONT WORRY JUST KEEP TRYING.

If you do not get it by the 3rd time.. download the Blackberry java developers kit and install it. once installed find the javaloader.exe file and move it into the c:\ directory

Once it is under the c:\, go to start then run and type. cmd.exe

After the command prompt apears type in "c:\javaloader -usb wipe" to wipe the handheld

*The reason I have highlighted Step 13 is that this is very important to do BEFORE the DM tries to re-start your device because it WILL NOT re-intialize your device IF THE BATTERY IS NOT IN YOUR DEVICE.

Hope this helps. He got it working properly.
    01-25-09 01:21 AM
    Thanks for the help! However, the problem that I have is that I can't install the software at all because there is no connection to my device, so I cannot even get past the first couple of steps.
    01-25-09 01:35 AM
    He did not have ANY connection to the device.
    Don't open the DM only open my comp>program files> common files>research in motion>apploader. Clik on the Loader app and follow the instruction above.
    01-25-09 01:40 AM
    When you say "my comp" are you saying My Computer in Windows?
    01-25-09 01:51 AM
    Okay - so I right clicked "start" in Windows explore>program files>research in motion>loader.exe

I just get the same result as I do through the desktop manager.

When I select connection settings in DM it finds the pin just fine. But when I go to try to install the software (either through the DM or by your instructions) it tries to connect and then says USB PIN Unknown.
    01-25-09 02:02 AM
    Yes. Firs download the desired OS on your PC. Go to the same location and delete the vendor file. At the same place u see the Loader application. U don't have to use the DM at this point.
    01-25-09 02:03 AM
    Make sure your battery is removed from your device before u start. If there is no PIN detected check mark the Detect communication port on the right side.
    01-25-09 02:07 AM
    My husband managed all through following those steps and his BB working properly.
    01-25-09 02:08 AM
    Here is the place u have to go:On the top of the page: Help and discussion Forums>Blackberry Software, Services and Accessories>OS Beta Discussion. Under that u gonna find everything u need from our Founder Editor and Comm manager Kevin Michaluk. Good luck! Let me know how u made it out.
    01-25-09 02:27 AM
    I think the issue is that on my laptop I had both the Curve and the Pearl software installed and it was conflicting. I installed DM and the Pearl 4.5 OS on my desktop PC (which has never had any BB software installed on it before) and followed your instructions and it seems to be working now! THANK YOU!!!!
    01-25-09 03:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD