It's unbelievable how many folks just refuse to see all of reality. BBRY revenue is down significantly from a year ago, which was down from the prior year, which was significantly down from the prior year. In fact BBRY has shown a net loss every quarter for many years.

Now just because Wall Street expected a $.15 per share loss, and the loss was only $.7 or $.8 does not mean victory. I don't care how much Priv sold or didn't. It doesn't matter. BBRY has not turned a profit in a long time. No one expects them to turn a profit in the next 3-4 quarters unless they ditch the hardware division entirely, and even then it is unlikely. Apple owns the Enterprise space, and BBRY pricing has killed any last hope of changing minds.

If you finish the year with a huge new credit card debt and behind in your mortgage, do you brag that your salary was higher year over year? Common sense should prevail here, but I fear that this is part of the human experience that will never change.
    lift, early2bed, JeepBB and 5 others like this.
    12-21-15 01:14 PM
    It's unbelievable how many folks just refuse to see all of reality. BBRY revenue is down significantly from a year ago, which was down from the prior year, which was significantly down from the prior year. In fact BBRY has shown a net loss every quarter for many years.

Now just because Wall Street expected a $.15 per share loss, and the loss was only $.7 or $.8 does not mean victory. I don't care how much Priv sold or didn't. It doesn't matter. BBRY has not turned a profit in a long time. No one expects them to turn a profit in the next 3-4 quarters unless they ditch the hardware division entirely, and even then it is unlikely. Apple owns the Enterprise space, and BBRY pricing has killed any last hope of changing minds.

If you finish the year with a huge new credit card debt and behind in your mortgage, do you brag that your salary was higher year over year? Common sense should prevail here, but I fear that this is part of the human experience that will never change.
    Great post. The diehards just don't WANT to see it. I WAS a diehard and now I have seen the light.
    techvisor likes this.
    12-21-15 03:11 PM

The numbers in an enterprise are much more complicated than your household debt. In fact they have had recorded a loss for several quarters but have generated positive cash flow adding to their cash and cash equivalents. They just had more expenses that were recognized in that quarter. Same concept as recognizing revenue in a particular quarter.

I do agree that the diehards do not want to see the issues, but it is no different than what you are saying. You are saying there is no hope what so ever, but the financial statements are showing exactly what Chen said they would when he started. Positive free cash flow happened when he stated it did. He is on track for software revenue to replace service fees and the hardware division has an increasing ASP which shows signs of the break even he was looking for, therefore this quarter was good for BlackBerry.

In short, yes it all does matter.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-15 05:32 PM
    So, in a nutshell: BB10 is done, Software is the future, and Chen's d' Man!

Yup, I'd agree with that.
    12-22-15 02:55 AM
    Having looked into the numbers & ASP increase a bit more, I'd say that less than 150,000 of the total 700,000 units sold in during the past quarter can be attributed to the BlackBerry Priv.

This is by no means an official number but an accurate guesstimate based on analysis I've done. (I do this for a big telco in the UK).

So to sum up, I’d put the total number of BlackBerry 10 handset shipments at >2.1m over the past 9 months and OS7 handset shipments at >0.4m over the past 9 months.

To compare, BB10 handset shipments were at >3.8m during the same 9 month period last year and OS7 shipments were >1.8m during the same period last year.

I would expect BlackBerry to just miss 4 million unit shipments for the full fiscal year.
    Last edited by AhmadCentral; 12-22-15 at 05:01 PM.
    12-22-15 04:40 PM
    So a long story short.

1. Let's wait a Year with Android to start comparing 1 year sells.

2. Vienna is coming in April and it will definitely have a large impact on sells numbers.

3. The Priv hasn't released to all US Carrier, just released in Central Europe last week and is largely unavailable in the rest of the World.

The Priv is not the Hail Mary, Android is. BlackBerry is going to go Hard for a Year or two and see what happens.
    12-22-15 05:13 PM
    2. Vienna is coming in April and it will definitely have a large impact on sells numbers.
    Citation please!
    lift, Elephant_Canyon and dolco like this.
    12-22-15 05:36 PM
    Another PKB. What is wrong with BlackBerry. They will never learn.
    12-22-15 08:34 PM
    This is slightly more than one day worth of iPhone sales last quarter. Of course, you can't compare the two. BlackBerry makes smartphones for business and consumer markets and Apple makes smartphones for business and consumer markets so they are completely different. There is even a complete MobilNations.com site devoted to iPhone and other iOS devices. People who use BlackBerry smartphones never consider using iPhones.
    Short answer is NO to iPhone.
    12-22-15 08:39 PM
    Citation please!
    A Guy who Meet a guy that knows a guy...lol

I want to share the following thread from CrackBerry%27s Forums with you%3A%0A%0AAnother Costco story...%0A%0Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fforums.crackberry.com%2 Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D1055210

Among other "h�rensagen"
    12-23-15 04:35 PM
    Another PKB. What is wrong with BlackBerry. They will never learn.
    I know right, no need for a niche product on Android when almost everyone wants a Slab.
    lift likes this.
    12-23-15 04:39 PM
    A Guy who Meet a guy that knows a guy...lol

I want to share the following thread from CrackBerry%27s Forums with you%3A%0A%0AAnother Costco story...%0A%0Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fforums.crackberry.com%2 Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D1055210

Among other "h�rensagen"
    Your link is fubar please repaste
    12-23-15 04:39 PM
    Your link is fubar please repaste
    Another Costco story...

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1055210

Email share didn't seem to work, oh well!
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    12-24-15 03:25 AM
    What is still most concerning is that once again it is hardware and service access revenue that accounts for more than 71% of BlackBerry's total revenue.

Hardware and Services continues to shrink but revenue from software is yet to offset that decline, nor will it do so anytime in the future.

BlackBerry sold in 2 million smartphones during the same quarter last year but this year they failed to match even half of that in an industry that is expected to see more than 10% growth this year. The Priv clearly did not receive many orders and traditional BB10 and OS7 handset orders have fallen considerably, not to mention that BlackBerry lost 5 million OS7 subscribers this quarter. That takes BlackBerry users to 25 million down from almost double that number over a year ago.

I think this chart will clearly show how BlackBerry is declining as a hardware company, and despite saying they are focusing more on software, have not been able to make that transition successfully.

Attachment 384883

Final point- BlackBerry have sold in 2.6 million handsets in the past 9 months. It looks like they won't even hit 4 million units in sales this year. That is abysmal. Time to give up.
    Unique selling point: BIS, remove USP = ^
    01-23-16 07:09 PM
    7billion people, 700,000... 0.1 sales of planet earth human population.

Always said software 'guru' chiny chin Chen was not the man for the job, neither was removing BIS, nor reversing that nor BBOS until 10 was not in beta.

Rumoured 88 million dollars in shares salary, Chen will end up owning BB... he is in it for himself, like Thornya$$

Get that share price down Chen, your shares up, sell to software company Google or Microsoft, already in bed with Google for 2016.
    Last edited by Orange UK; 01-23-16 at 07:40 PM.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    01-23-16 07:14 PM
    7billion people, 700,000... 0.1 sales of planet earth human population.

Always said software 'guru' chiny chin Chen was not the man for the job, neither was removing BIS, nor reversing that nor BBOS until 10 was not in beta.

Rumoured 88 million dollars in shares salary, Chen will end up owning BB... he is in it for himself, like Thornya$$

Get that share price down Chen, your shares up, sell to software company Google or Microsoft, already in bed with Google for 2016.
    It has been "indicated" that removing BIS wasn't really something BlackBerry wanted to do. It was kinda forced on them by Carriers and how technology was changing.... there really was no need for it to make phones work. If BlackBerry hand't killed it off anyway, you'd have the current situation still in place..... Either your Carrier would charge you more for a BIS Plan (many cases it's $10 a month more - och), or they would simply let you know that they don't offer BIS plans anymore. So really BlackBerry had very little choice there.....

The job is to make money for shareholders.... not necessarily keep BlackBerry in the hardware business. Too be honest, things could have gone FAR worse for BlackBerry with another CEO. Just cutting the bleed while keeping the company mostly in operation was an amazing feat. At least Chen figured out the nothing currently at BlackBerry (other than QNX) was worth anything... and started buying companies he could attempt to form into some type of enterprise product.

Yeah hardware is pretty much a done deal at this point...... BB10 is almost history, and the company isn't in a position to compete in the Android part of the smartphone market..... as a $700 price tag on the PRIV can attest too.
    01-25-16 02:19 PM
    If BlackBerry hand't killed it off anyway, you'd have the current situation still in place..... Either your Carrier would charge you more for a BIS Plan (many cases it's $10 a month more - och), or they would simply let you know that they don't offer BIS plans anymore. So really BlackBerry had very little choice there.....
    At one time, I was paying an extra $5 a month for BIS. I would be willing to pay $5-$10 more a month for it still.
    01-25-16 04:34 PM
    BIS was a solution to 2G networking speeds and congestion - and it was great for that. Remember WAP web browsers?

However, it isn't 2005 anymore, and we aren't using 2G networks anymore (well, most of us anyway!). BIS is no longer relevant, and in fact, it would only serve to SLOW a modern 4G connection. If BIS still had any real value - other than to BB's service revenues - it would still exist. That is, in fact, why it doesn't exist anymore.
    Maxxxpower likes this.
    01-25-16 08:26 PM
    Does not BIS still exist for BBOS phones on some carriers?

Posted via CB10
    01-25-16 11:59 PM
    What Chen would have found, if he'd been smart enough... is plenty of folks willing to pay $10/month to maintain access to the quality of BB10.

No stickers, no BBM Meetings separate subscriptions, etc, etc.

He had it in his hands... and he blew it.
    01-26-16 12:11 AM
    What Chen would have found, if he'd been smart enough... is plenty of folks willing to pay $10/month to maintain access to the quality of BB10.

No stickers, no BBM Meetings separate subscriptions, etc, etc.

He had it in his hands... and he blew it.
    10 bucks a month from all of the hardcore BlackBerry fans still wouldn't be nearly enough to keep BB10 going.

Posted via CB10
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    01-26-16 12:17 AM
    I agree... Carrier's are fighting to get their monthly rates more "competitive", one reason that in the US they are killing off subsidies. I have not doubt that a few hardcore users might say they are willing to pay a little more for BIS. But BIS would be a bottle neck to 4G speeds, and in the long run the cost, performance shortcomings, and too few users to keep carrier's interested would have doomed it anyway.

But it is very surprising how much money they were apparently making off of BIS. We always viewed it as a pretty insignificant amount compared with BES.... that was not the case. So I doubt BlackBerry gave up on BIS because it was a choice.....
    01-26-16 07:45 AM
    I agree... Carrier's are fighting to get their monthly rates more "competitive", one reason that in the US they are killing off subsidies. I have not doubt that a few hardcore users might say they are willing to pay a little more for BIS. But BIS would be a bottle neck to 4G speeds, and in the long run the cost, performance shortcomings, and too few users to keep carrier's interested would have doomed it anyway.

But it is very surprising how much money they were apparently making off of BIS. We always viewed it as a pretty insignificant amount compared with BES.... that was not the case. So I doubt BlackBerry gave up on BIS because it was a choice.....
    BIS looks like it was a gold mine for them. I don't think they even have a plan for what to do when it completely dries up. Well Except for BBM stickers.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-16 09:50 AM
    Some seem to think or imply that BIS is/was the only reason for any previous BlackBerry success.

If that is the case they should have just closed shop years ago... never should've even tried...
    01-26-16 10:16 AM
    Some seem to think or imply that BIS is/was the only reason for any previous BlackBerry success.

If that is the case they should have just closed shop years ago... never should've even tried...
    Looking at past revenue, it pretty much was the reason for success. It seems like it's also what doomed them. They pissed off carriers by forcing them to pay for BIS. Then as soon as it was no longer necessary, the carriers got their sales people to turn on BlackBerry and steer customers away.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-16 11:31 AM
128 ... 23456