So you think Chen is stupid and didn't know about the higher price of the Priv when he talked about the 5 mio devices a year?
    No, I think he's conservative when he gave his numbers. His actions proves this. He wouldn't know the exact ASP of the future while he could use the ASP of the past to do his calculations.

BTW using REVENUE drop to show the demise of BlackBerry financials is foolish. A loss of a smartphone sales ($400-$800) is a lot higher than a loss of a subscription ($10-$20).
    12-18-15 12:38 PM
    Typical nonsensical forum post. People are here to discuss and debate the various interpretations and future of BlackBerry based on the latest earnings call.

They are making their arguments based on facts as they see them and presenting them in a mature manner.

Just because you don't like the doom and gloom doesn't mean they can't be here discussing it.

Why don't you go somewhere else (cough* android central) as this is the spirit of these threads and forums.

Posted via CB10
    That's where (cough cough) blackberry is going,so either get on board or get lost)

Posted via blackberry.....priv?
    12-18-15 12:49 PM
    I knew the Priv was not going to sell well and these numbers are proof of that. All you people that are saying don't worry, the Priv was only for sale for 22 days are forgetting about PRE-ORDERS. Every time a new Samsung, Nexus or iPhone is announced, the most sales are usually right out of the gate. People Pre-order these phones and buy them in the first week or two available in huge numbers.
    There were a fair amount of Pre-orders for the Priv but then we started to read about all the returns.
    Sorry, but BlackBerry took a gamble with the Priv and lost a lot of the BB10 loyalists and did not pick up enough outsiders to make a difference.
    My sister was a big BlackBerry fan a few years ago before moving to Samsung phones. I told her that Blackberry now makes android phones and she said "so what, I have moved on and I am sticking with Samsung". BlackBerry's name is dead and byy pushing away the loyalists, they have ruined their name even more. Without the loyalists, they have nothing.

I am / was a loyalist but not for a large expensive slider.

Your sister obviously has no need for a PKB which is the main reason to purchase a BlackBerry. Folks that are in the market for an all touch phone might be guided by the fact that BlackBerry has never been successful in making one. There are not enough loyalists to support BB10 so BlackBerry has to widen the net to attract potential PKB buyers.

I suspect that we shall see the Android Vienna about 22 days before the end of the next Q. The timing will be such that shareholders will still be held in suspense as to the future of BlackBerry.

The only way ahead for BlackBerry is to make reliable , good Android PKB phones in order to reestablish the brand.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    12-18-15 01:57 PM
    The only way ahead for BlackBerry is to make reliable , good Android PKB phones in order to reestablish the brand.
    That's where I have to disagree. This obsession with only making PKB phones is going to bury them whether they use android or not. The PKB market is very small. Why do people think otherwise. If there was a perceived demand for a PKB then one of the larger OEM's would make one and advertise it. As soon as someone sees a PKB device they think BlackBerry and they think old school.
    Classic, Passport, Priv and now the up coming Vienna. All PKB and none of them are going to sell large numbers.
    Microsoft's phone division is dying a slow death. Microsoft has just released 2 high end all touch phones in an effort to try and keep the handset business alive. They didn't make a slider or a PKB phone. Even Microsoft knows there is no market for a PKB.
    CranksterBB10 likes this.
    12-18-15 03:14 PM
    No, I think he's conservative when he gave his numbers. His actions proves this. He wouldn't know the exact ASP of the future while he could use the ASP of the past to do his calculations.

BTW using REVENUE drop to show the demise of BlackBerry financials is foolish. A loss of a smartphone sales ($400-$800) is a lot higher than a loss of a subscription ($10-$20).
    The break even number was lowered by Chen to 5 million because the ASP went up to $315.

The ASP jump is massive, anyone who says the Priv did not impact in the quarter is crazy. The biggest number that Wallstreet cares about in phone sales is ASP. They don't care that Samsung may sell more phones than Apple. They love the iPhone ASP which is massive at north of $650.
    That's where (cough cough) blackberry is going,so either get on board or get lost)

Posted via blackberry.....priv?
    Maxxxpower likes this.
    12-18-15 03:36 PM
    The ASP jump is massive, anyone who says the Priv did not impact in the quarter is crazy.
    First of all the ASP jump was not "massive". I'm sure the Priv did impact that number, but what about the newly released and more expensive Passport SE? That seemed to be selling OK.
    12-18-15 04:02 PM
    That's where I have to disagree. This obsession with only making PKB phones is going to bury them whether they use android or not. The PKB market is very small. Why do people think otherwise. If there was a perceived demand for a PKB then one of the larger OEM's would make one and advertise it. As soon as someone sees a PKB device they think BlackBerry and they think old school.
    Classic, Passport, Priv and now the up coming Vienna. All PKB and none of them are going to sell large numbers.
    Microsoft's phone division is dying a slow death. Microsoft has just released 2 high end all touch phones in an effort to try and keep the handset business alive. They didn't make a slider or a PKB phone. Even Microsoft knows there is no market for a PKB.
    BlackBerry has neither the resources nor the expertise to compete with Samsung high end all touch right now.
    12-18-15 07:50 PM
    The break even number was lowered by Chen to 5 million because the ASP went up to $315.
    No it wasn't. The break-even number was lowered by Chen to 5 million because BB dropped BB10 and moved to Android, and with the vastly lower costs of Android (compared to having to develop, maintain, and support their own OS and ecosystem), they can break even by selling half as many Android phones as they can BB10 phones. Certainly they anticipated the ASP going up as they depleted the written-down launch phones (Z10 especially, as it was way over-produced and has to be sold at firesale prices to move) and BBOS phones, which have finally been almost completely cleared out of the sales channels - and that anticipation was part of the 5M number, but the bigger part is moving to Android and thus shifting the majority of the OS and ecosystem development costs to Google.
    JeepBB, kirson, early2bed and 1 others like this.
    12-18-15 11:18 PM
    First of all the ASP jump was not "massive". I'm sure the Priv did impact that number, but what about the newly released and more expensive Passport SE? That seemed to be selling OK.
    In a 3 month period going from $240 to $315 is amazing. Show me one other company than Apple that is increasing the ASP of their phones. A silver passport is still basically a one year old phone in a new skin with a few tweaks. Why would it's ASP increase months after launch?
    12-19-15 12:26 AM
    More details:
    - During the third quarter of fiscal 2016, approximately 0.9 million BlackBerry smartphones were sold through to end customers, which included shipments made and recognized prior to the third quarter of fiscal 2016 and which reduced the Company’s inventory in the channel.
    - The Company recognized revenue related to approximately 0.7 million BlackBerry handheld devices in the third quarter of fiscal 2016
    - As at the end of the third quarter of fiscal 2016, the Company had a user base of approximately 25 million.
    - The Company recognized revenue related to approximately 2.6 million BlackBerry handheld devices in the first nine
    months of fiscal 2016, compared to approximately 5.7 million BlackBerry handheld devices recognized in the first nine months of fiscal 2015.
    - During the first nine months of fiscal 2016, approximately 3.3 million BlackBerry smartphones were sold through to end customers

@Mods: Why is this thread censored?
    Last edited by Maxxxpower; 12-19-15 at 07:16 AM.
    12-19-15 02:56 AM
    This is slightly more than one day worth of iPhone sales last quarter. Of course, you can't compare the two. BlackBerry makes smartphones for business and consumer markets and Apple makes smartphones for business and consumer markets so they are completely different. There is even a complete MobilNations.com site devoted to iPhone and other iOS devices. People who use BlackBerry smartphones never consider using iPhones.
    Oh **** let me get rid of it then...

700,000 devices sold last quarter-imageuploadedbycb-forums1450531740.760592.jpg
    reeneebob and dwineone like this.
    12-19-15 07:29 AM
    Actually, the thread title is still misleading. 0.7 million is not equal to 700,000. Do the math. $214 million in revenues divided by $315. Just saying.
    12-19-15 07:38 AM
    0.7 million is not equal to 700,000. Do the math.
    It's not? Do you have some kind of different math?
    12-19-15 07:41 AM
    It's not? Do you have some kind of different math?
    ye, it's even less, lmao

214000000/315=679365.079
    700000*315=220500000
    12-19-15 08:27 AM
    I think they will easily achieve their sales goal once they get on T-Mobile, Verizon, and finish the global rollout.

If they continue the Android path they will have devices the average consumer will buy.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    DaDaDogg likes this.
    12-19-15 10:40 AM
    More details:
    - During the third quarter of fiscal 2016, approximately 0.9 million BlackBerry smartphones were sold through to end customers, which included shipments made and recognized prior to the third quarter of fiscal 2016 and which reduced the Company�s inventory in the channel.
    - The Company recognized revenue related to approximately 0.7 million BlackBerry handheld devices in the third quarter of fiscal 2016
    - As at the end of the third quarter of fiscal 2016, the Company had a user base of approximately 25 million.
    - The Company recognized revenue related to approximately 2.6 million BlackBerry handheld devices in the first nine
    months of fiscal 2016, compared to approximately 5.7 million BlackBerry handheld devices recognized in the first nine months of fiscal 2015.
    - During the first nine months of fiscal 2016, approximately 3.3 million BlackBerry smartphones were sold through to end customers

@Mods: Why is this thread censored?
    Yes and with an ASP of $240. No company the size of BB can sustain a phone business that requires a company to do all of the OS development and only get $240 per phone.

In then latest report on Apple, the iPhone ASP is now $687.
    12-19-15 11:48 AM
    Yes and with an ASP of $240. No company the size of BB can sustain a phone business that requires a company to do all of the OS development and only get $240 per phone.

In then latest report on Apple, the iPhone ASP is now $687.
    To make things even worse, BlackBerry has to maintain TWO operating systems. They have to provide support, updates etc. for two completely different systems. Even a large company has to spend a lot of money and resources to maintain ONE OS. BlackBerry is killing itself.
    12-19-15 12:03 PM
    Oh **** let me get rid of it then...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByCB Forums1450531740.760592.jpg 
Views:	1109 
Size:	551.7 KB 
ID:	385009
    Did you steal pastries from the breakfast buffet at a hotel?
    lift and techvisor like this.
    12-19-15 01:15 PM
    Talk of Priv being a fail is premature. We have not seen a full quarter of sales yet. The next quarter will tell the story of success or failure.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Very true. In 26 days or so we sold 100k privs. Think about that. And that's the people who received the shopBlackBerry site and had it shipped. As BlackBerry makes more and we have a whole quarter of sales, it'll be more like 500k.

To add to that, the priv has only been released in a few countries. Once it's released in those places, there will be even more sales.

'it all started with the  Priv...'
    Last edited by Rare BlackBerry Fan; 12-19-15 at 07:23 PM.
    12-19-15 01:41 PM
    Did you steal pastries from the breakfast buffet at a hotel?
    well those were my friend's but i'm pretty sure you can buy those in literally any grocery store / bakery here
    12-19-15 02:21 PM
    Very true. In 26 days or so we sold 100k privs. Think about that. And that's the people who received the shopBlackBerry site and had it shipped. As BlackBerry makes more and we have a whole quarter of sales, it'll be more like 500k.

Where did you get 100k from?
    12-19-15 06:42 PM
    Where did you get 100k from?
    On the I support bbry thread people have done calculations and there's a general consensus of that number.

12-19-15 07:19 PM
    On the I support bbry thread people have done calculations and there's a general consensus of that number.

I saw similar calculations in another thead which assume a priv asp of $800 and asp for all the older devices of $240 the former is probably OK but the latter might be off a bit.
    12-19-15 08:06 PM
    If I were a Priv customer, or even considering the Priv, I'd be concerned that BlackBerry would pull a "BlackBerry" and just stop supporting current customers and release statements to the effect of "We continue to post security updates for Android 5.1.1 and developers can still download and use the Android SDK to build apps...".

If the PlayBook didn't make BlackBerry enthusiasts feel like suckers, and then Louks' Slider OS bait-and-switch didn't make BlackBerry enthusiasts feel like suckers, surely whatever horrible thing BlackBerry management has in store for the Priv will do it.

It took until that C|Net article and learning that Louks had it in for BB10 from the start to do it to me.

And with the most secure bootloader on any Android device, you won't even be able to get Cyanogen on it, you poor things. Don't say you weren't warned.
    lift, techvisor and 1Criz like this.
    12-19-15 08:24 PM
    I knew the Priv was not going to sell well and these numbers are proof of that. All you people that are saying don't worry, the Priv was only for sale for 22 days are forgetting about PRE-ORDERS. Every time a new Samsung, Nexus or iPhone is announced, the most sales are usually right out of the gate. People Pre-order these phones and buy them in the first week or two available in huge numbers.
    There were a fair amount of Pre-orders for the Priv but then we started to read about all the returns.
    Sorry, but BlackBerry took a gamble with the Priv and lost a lot of the BB10 loyalists and did not pick up enough outsiders to make a difference.
    My sister was a big BlackBerry fan a few years ago before moving to Samsung phones. I told her that Blackberry now makes android phones and she said "so what, I have moved on and I am sticking with Samsung". BlackBerry's name is dead and byy pushing away the loyalists, they have ruined their name even more. Without the loyalists, they have nothing.
    The voice of reason. BB's time to get it right has long since passed. At some point you need to realize that BB is dead.New phones are behind the curve, BB10 is a great OS but it's not supported by any developers, Their latest Hail Mary is also a dud. Sorry guys, this company has gone the way of the Dodo bird.
    lift and techvisor like this.
    12-20-15 01:13 AM
128 1234 ...