Less than ever before. ASP was $315 up from $240.

Bye bye smartphone division.
    Last edited by Maxxxpower; 12-18-15 at 01:24 PM.
    lift, techvisor and 1magine like this.
    12-18-15 08:28 AM
    Did you realize the Priv was only on sale for 22 days?
    12-18-15 08:34 AM
    Did you realize that BB7 and BB10 sales are declining constantly and Priv is quite expensive?
    12-18-15 08:36 AM
    This is slightly more than one day worth of iPhone sales last quarter. Of course, you can't compare the two. BlackBerry makes smartphones for business and consumer markets and Apple makes smartphones for business and consumer markets so they are completely different. There is even a complete MobilNations.com site devoted to iPhone and other iOS devices. People who use BlackBerry smartphones never consider using iPhones.
    12-18-15 09:01 AM
    What is still most concerning is that once again it is hardware and service access revenue that accounts for more than 71% of BlackBerry's total revenue.

Hardware and Services continues to shrink but revenue from software is yet to offset that decline, nor will it do so anytime in the future.

BlackBerry sold in 2 million smartphones during the same quarter last year but this year they failed to match even half of that in an industry that is expected to see more than 10% growth this year. The Priv clearly did not receive many orders and traditional BB10 and OS7 handset orders have fallen considerably, not to mention that BlackBerry lost 5 million OS7 subscribers this quarter. That takes BlackBerry users to 25 million down from almost double that number over a year ago.

I think this chart will clearly show how BlackBerry is declining as a hardware company, and despite saying they are focusing more on software, have not been able to make that transition successfully.

700,000 devices sold last quarter-cwheju8ueaatjgy.png

Final point- BlackBerry have sold in 2.6 million handsets in the past 9 months. It looks like they won't even hit 4 million units in sales this year. That is abysmal. Time to give up.
    early2bed, JeepBB, lift and 7 others like this.
    12-18-15 09:12 AM
    700,000 devices sold last quarter-skyfalling.jpg

I think honestly the jury is still out. There are supply issues, and that STUPID AT&T exclusivity deal for 60 days which will resolve in the next 2 Quarters. I think sales for the NEXT 2 Qs will tell the real tale of the Priv.
    kbz1960 and chrisleka like this.
    12-18-15 09:23 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skyfalling.jpg 
Views:	5697 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	384886

I think honestly the jury is still out. There are supply issues, and that STUPID AT&T exclusivity deal for 60 days which will resolve in the next 2 Quarters. I think sales for the NEXT 2 Qs will tell the real tale of the Priv.
    Even if Priv sells double, or even triple, or even quadrouple the amount it sold this quarter in the next quarter it won't make any difference to the hardware division. OS7 is about to be discontinued, BB10 sales continue to fall.

It's the software division that needs to perform, and quick.
    12-18-15 09:27 AM
    In case anyone missed it, here's a news flash: Blackberry is transitioning into a software company. Continually focusing on handset sales as some harbringer of things to come is like continually looking at IBM as a typewriter and PC company.

SAF's are going to continue to run off; you might as well zero it out (where it will eventually land) and then treat revenue there as unexpected. Hardware does whatever it does. (Especially while there's sales reps for the major cellular providers taking perpetual dumps on Blackberry devices at every opportunity.) Software revenues will continue to increase, especially after the acquisition of Good. (You know, that company that some people swore to God was going to kill Blackberry, and then got picked up for a relatively cheap price because it bled money like a stuck pig.) The key takeaway: this is the seventh (7th) consecutive quarter of positive cash flow. Companies that are in imminent peril don't generate positive cash flow, much less do it for 7 consecutive quarters.

Change is difficult - but it's time to accept it.
    NinjaB, CHIP72 and rayfz like this.
    12-18-15 09:35 AM
    In case anyone missed it, here's a news flash: Blackberry is transitioning into a software company. Continually focusing on handset sales as some harbringer of things to come is like continually looking at IBM as a typewriter and PC company
    Just have a look how your transition works and software takes off.
    Not.
    Additionally, most of us are here because of handsets and not because of software, so the continuning decline ist what most users are interested in.
    JeepBB, Bbnivende, FF22 and 2 others like this.
    12-18-15 09:36 AM
    I've been pessimistic with regards to BB10 for a long time; but, I am no longer pessimistic with regards to BBRY as a company. It does appear to me that Chen may be able to transition BBRY into a software company (with the help of buyouts).

With that said, a surging software revenue and flagging hardware revenue means that the hardware/handset division is ready to be put down very soon.
    lift and anon(9188202) like this.
    12-18-15 09:45 AM
    Even if Priv sells double, or even triple, or even quadrouple the amount it sold this quarter in the next quarter it won't make any difference to the hardware division. OS7 is about to be discontinued, BB10 sales continue to fall.

It's the software division that needs to perform, and quick.
    Relax. Take a deep breath. Read.

"Mr. Chen reiterated that trend suggests the one-month old Priv handset will be a success, and can achieve break-even as recent as Q4."

Blackberry Ltd (BBRY) Earnings: Heard From John Chen's 3Q Conference Call

Priv sales are just getting started.
    Rustybronco likes this.
    12-18-15 09:51 AM
    Don't buy everything Chen expects
    Or just keep on dreaming.
    dolco, Coachbulldog and Doggerz like this.
    12-18-15 09:53 AM
    and......they didn't break out the Priv sales. Who thinks 100K?
    lift likes this.
    12-18-15 09:55 AM
    Relax. Take a deep breath. Read.

"Mr. Chen reiterated that trend suggests the one-month old Priv handset will be a success, and can achieve break-even as recent as Q4."

Blackberry Ltd (BBRY) Earnings: Heard From John Chen's 3Q Conference Call

Priv sales are just getting started.
    They need to sell 5 million a year to 'break even', even though Chen said the magic number was 10 million last time. The fact still remains this target is not likely to be met this year.

We've heard the 'Don't worry, everything is fine' line for the past 4 years now.

The Priv isn't changing anything, even if it does it won't prevent BlackBerry's hardware division from becoming irrelevant in the near future.

There is a reason all my posts on this forum re-iterate the fact that software is more important than ever, yet it's hardware that is still the biggest source of revenue, but also the largest declining source of revenue.

Also I would like to pick up on the quote you used. The very next line says - "He quoted positive product reviews from various business journals to support his claims." Now forgive me for being sceptical but when was the last time a 10/10 review for a BlackBerry phone translated into millions of units sold.
    Last edited by AhmadCentral; 12-18-15 at 10:08 AM.
    JeepBB, mikeo007, MikeX74 and 3 others like this.
    12-18-15 09:55 AM
    Here's a simple thought, if the Priv actually sold a significant number of devices, wouldn't there be more cases out there?

There's the OEM ones from BlackBerry and then probably less than a half dozen third party ones on the Web (generic flip cases and pouches etc don't count).

Posted via CB10
    12-18-15 10:04 AM
    Here's a simple thought, if the Priv actually sold a significant number of devices, wouldn't there be more cases out there?

There's the OEM ones from BlackBerry and then probably less than a half dozen third party ones on the Web (generic flip cases and pouches etc don't count).

Posted via CB10

"Whatchu talking 'bout Willis?" Amazon has pages and pages of them and even major vendors have them....

BlackBerry PRIV Cases | Blackberry Phone Cases | Incipio
    Supa_Fly1 and Carjackd like this.
    12-18-15 10:17 AM
    Don't buy everything Chen expects
    Or just keep on dreaming.
    So what do you still doing here of everything is so bad and ugly? I mean is like people here wish for BlackBerry to fail ,all some guys here do is talk bad about the company,everything that blackberry does is wrong no matter what,if you don't like it jus go away and that's it,be happy with your new iPhone,period!

Posted via blackberry.....priv?
    12-18-15 10:20 AM
    Talk of Priv being a fail is premature. We have not seen a full quarter of sales yet. The next quarter will tell the story of success or failure.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    oldtimeBBaddict likes this.
    12-18-15 10:34 AM
    So what do you still doing here of everything is so bad and ugly? I mean is like people here wish for BlackBerry to fail ,all some guys here do is talk bad about the company,everything that blackberry does is wrong no matter what,if you don't like it jus go away and that's it,be happy with your new iPhone,period!

Posted via blackberry.....priv?
    Typical nonsensical forum post. People are here to discuss and debate the various interpretations and future of BlackBerry based on the latest earnings call.

They are making their arguments based on facts as they see them and presenting them in a mature manner.

Just because you don't like the doom and gloom doesn't mean they can't be here discussing it.

Why don't you go somewhere else (cough* android central) as this is the spirit of these threads and forums.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-15 10:37 AM
    I knew the Priv was not going to sell well and these numbers are proof of that. All you people that are saying don't worry, the Priv was only for sale for 22 days are forgetting about PRE-ORDERS. Every time a new Samsung, Nexus or iPhone is announced, the most sales are usually right out of the gate. People Pre-order these phones and buy them in the first week or two available in huge numbers.
    There were a fair amount of Pre-orders for the Priv but then we started to read about all the returns.
    Sorry, but BlackBerry took a gamble with the Priv and lost a lot of the BB10 loyalists and did not pick up enough outsiders to make a difference.
    My sister was a big BlackBerry fan a few years ago before moving to Samsung phones. I told her that Blackberry now makes android phones and she said "so what, I have moved on and I am sticking with Samsung". BlackBerry's name is dead and byy pushing away the loyalists, they have ruined their name even more. Without the loyalists, they have nothing.
    KAM1138, JeepBB, xtremeled and 4 others like this.
    12-18-15 11:45 AM
    There is a reason all my posts on this forum re-iterate the fact that software is more important than ever, yet it's hardware that is still the biggest source of revenue, but also the largest declining source of revenue.
    Although revenue is important, software is much more profitable. So what you want to see is net profit from each one (hardware/software). I am going to bet that net profit from software is much higher than hardware.
    12-18-15 12:08 PM
    Worth noting is that they made more revenue on 700k phones then they did with the last 800k due to much higher price per phone.

Posted from my BlackBerry Priv
    neoberry99 likes this.
    12-18-15 12:11 PM
    Although revenue is important, software is much more profitable. So what you want to see is net profit from each one (hardware/software). I am going to bet that net profit from software is much higher than hardware.
    The hardware has all of the fixed cost baggage that won't go away immediately so you have to keep the hardware going while you wind down all of the hardware costs. Outsource practically everything so that if you decide to drop the hardware then it hardly impacts your financials because you get rid of costs the same quarter that the revenue stops. If you sell the hardware division then the buyer will be purchasing mostly the patents and whatever brand equity is left and not being burdened with costs.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    12-18-15 12:17 PM
    https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/bl...125754724.html

"Smartphone sales also rose for the first time in four quarters to $214 million from $201 million in the second quarter as the company began shipping the Priv, its first device powered by Alphabet Inc's Google Android operating system.
    It sold 700,000 devices, down from about 800,000 in the prior period, but average selling prices jumped to $315 from $240."

So fewer devices sold but at a higher price = higher average selling price (ASP).

John Chen's initial break event estimate of 5 million units a year could be with the older (lower) ASP of $240 (about $1.2B a year hardware revenue).

With a $315 ASP (about 31% higher), that target would be 3.8 million. The ASP will likely go down over time, but at least they are smart enough to keep Priv's high enough to bump up the ASP.

I would say that they still need to hit at least 1 million a quarter to hit the break even goal. Is it possible? It depends heavily on how well the Priv does as it will be the primary driver in sales volume.
    DaDaDogg likes this.
    12-18-15 12:23 PM
    So you think Chen is stupid and didn't know about the higher price of the Priv when he talked about the 5 mio devices a year?
    lift, app_Developer and dolco like this.
    12-18-15 12:33 PM
128 123 ...