Obviously there's a lot more to it than battery, actually android always has crap running in the background so people have to be careful. It's all about preference, my brother loves it! There's a lot more to it than just battery life. Oh and there really isn't that much software glitches to compare to bb10. Bb10 probably has just the same amount of software glitches. I've used the s6 enough to tell you the phone runs fine smh but if you wanna choose a passport because of the battery life then so be it!

Z30 | 10.3.1.2708
    Passport or Z30 or Z10. OS is by far superior to Samsung Galaxy S6 in terms of glitches.
    Nobody buys a phone for just for battery life !! It is just one of the features.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    05-02-15 06:39 PM
    Passport or Z30 or Z10. OS is by far superior to Samsung Galaxy S6 in terms of glitches.
    Nobody buys a phone for just for battery life !! It is just one of the features.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    Can't disagree! Bb10 is my favorite, but I think I could tolerate android just as much as bb10

Z30 | 10.3.1.2708
    westiewanderer and TgeekB like this.
    05-02-15 06:42 PM
    That's only because we care about having a productive phone. Everyone I know are always charging their phones at 1pm because it's already dying, but for some reason they are ok with having to run to outlets every few hours. As long as their phone is considered "cool" by the crowd, they seem to not care that half the time they cannot use these "cool" features because their phone is about to die... It baffles my mind...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    I was at the Barber Shop last week and saw a guy charging his phone while getting a haircut. Wow!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by jhanks64; 05-03-15 at 02:54 AM.
    westiewanderer and bungaboy like this.
    05-02-15 07:00 PM
    That's only because we care about having a productive phone. Everyone I know are always charging their phones at 1pm because it's already dying, but for some reason they are ok with having to run to outlets every few hours. As long as their phone is considered "cool" by the crowd, they seem to not care that half the time they cannot use these "cool" features because their phone is about to die... It baffles my mind...
    As someone already noted, it depends on how one's hierarchy of needs lines up. Plenty of folks would balk at describing a device without a comprehensive native ecosystem as "productive" in today's fast-paced world.

I agree -- for me, battery life is good to have, but some folks get along fine with portable chargers, which come in several form factors.
    05-02-15 09:31 PM
    As someone already noted, it depends on how one's hierarchy of needs lines up. Plenty of folks would balk at describing a device without a comprehensive native ecosystem as "productive" in today's fast-paced world.

I agree -- for me, battery life is good to have, but some folks get along fine with portable chargers, which come in several form factors.
    How can you use all of those apps and features if the phone is about to die? It is proven that the majority of smartphone users do not even download any apps. And those apps don't do much good if you're attached to an outlet...

Like I've seen, my friends' phones stay on the outlet pretty much half the time I see them. How productive are all of those apps then. I'm basically the one they all turn to in order to look things up or make a call and do whatever since my phone is the only one left still working half the time...

05-02-15 09:39 PM

More positives for the S6 - the fingerprint scanner works great and the camera is absolutely incredible (not to mention the fact that it loads ready to take a picture in less than a second). And now I don't need work arounds to get every app I want. Malware? Give me a break - don't load any apps from developers you never heard of.
    You are kidding right? You know all 700,000 or so developers?

Again, no phone is perfect but I am very happy with my S6 edge. If BBry had gotten their act together and gotten out an update of the Z10 within 2 years of its release (every other manufacturer updates every year) or even the slider, I never would have left BBry. I may come back, but for now they lost me.
    It's called the Z30 and is better in every way than the Z10 except for a couple of things.
    bungaboy and BerrySoul like this.
    05-03-15 02:50 AM

It's called the Z30 and is better in every way than the Z10 except for a couple of things.
    Well, the fact that you give out your login credentials to Snap or third party developers that creates native BlackBerry Android app clients is essentially unlocking your home's every doors and leaving them opened as wide as you can.

I just can't believe people in this day and age would actually do this. People who uses Snap may as well give out your PayPal account login and bank and credit cards passwords by posting them eberywgerw on the street. Giving out your Google login credentials is just nuts. BlackBerry should have it banned in the first place.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-03-15 03:18 AM
    How can you use all of those apps and features if the phone is about to die? It is proven that the majority of smartphone users do not even download any apps. And those apps don't do much good if you're attached to an outlet...

Like I've seen, my friends' phones stay on the outlet pretty much half the time I see them. How productive are all of those apps then. I'm basically the one they all turn to in order to look things up or make a call and do whatever since my phone is the only one left still working half the time...

True (with regards to the uselessness of an app-laden device with no charge), but the wall-hugging paradigm isn't as pervasive as a few years ago.

I used to see folks power-tethered in barber shops all the time. Not too much anymore. Power packs, charging cases, wireless qi units etc. Plus, OEMs are just making devices with better battery life too. Also, folks that sit by a dock all day might not ever need to be nervous about a dead phone in normal conditions.

But not just about the apps. Two acquaintances spring to mind. One uses a mobile anemometer as a tool when mentoring underprivileged kids in golf. Another use a podcasting mic for his job. Both use platforms that these accessories are native to.

So, not really negating your point, but suggesting that battery life, like app availability, hardware accessories, pkb, etc essentially boils down to being a feature that different people assign different values to.
    05-03-15 03:38 AM
    True (with regards to the uselessness of an app-laden device with no charge), but the wall-hugging paradigm isn't as pervasive as a few years ago.

I used to see folks power-tethered in barber shops all the time. Not too much anymore. Power packs, charging cases, wireless qi units etc. Plus, OEMs are just making devices with better battery life too. Also, folks that sit by a dock all day might not ever need to be nervous about a dead phone in normal conditions.

But not just about the apps. Two acquaintances spring to mind. One uses a mobile anemometer as a tool when mentoring underprivileged kids in golf. Another use a podcasting mic for his job. Both use platforms that these accessories are native to.

So, not really negating your point, but suggesting that battery life, like app availability, hardware accessories, pkb, etc essentially boils down to being a feature that different people assign different values to.
    Love this response TRE! Exactly the thought process I am in! It is why I love BOTH android and BlackBerry! I got the s 6 thinking I would trade back and forth lol. Not so much. *grins*

Wacky wide n wonderful!
    05-03-15 05:22 AM

I don't disagree with that. But I'm just mainly boggled as to how people can just sit by and not voice their dissatisfaction that their phone is stuck to an outlet half the time. It's almost like they are afraid to say something bad about their "cool" phone. When my Bold 9900 would come close to death half way through the day, damn straight I made it known that I am not happy with the size of the battery that came with that phone. Glad the Q10 improved on that...

But I get that most people will not switch platforms just for that, but it's just how they act like it's ok that really makes me wonder.

05-03-15 01:17 PM
    I don't disagree with that. But I'm just mainly boggled as to how people can just sit by and not voice their dissatisfaction that their phone is stuck to an outlet half the time. It's almost like they are afraid to say something bad about their "cool" phone. When my Bold 9900 would come close to death half way through the day, damn straight I made it known that I am not happy with the size of the battery that came with that phone. Glad the Q10 improved on that...

But I get that most people will not switch platforms just for that, but it's just how they act like it's ok that really makes me wonder.

I agree my friend! There Is a LOT of justification going on for the s6 right now! Lol

Wacky wide n wonderful!
    05-03-15 02:00 PM
    Maarten, I am still on 1776 update, 100-1 AT&T Passport, and Im getting crazy battery life. I am not a heavy user though! Not sure why your battery life has dwindled like that, I have not heard anything like that happening. Maybe hit the forums and see what you can find! *grins*
    Check the device monitor to see what's eating up your battery

Q5SQR100-3/10.3.1.2243
    OT:

Since the last backup with BB Link, my Passport barely lasts 8 hours on .1779.

There was one occasion where I slammed the phone down in its case ***flat*** on the table before on the same day (usually not my thing, there was a "situation"), it rebooted itself, could that have done anything? The phone looks fine as ever. All the hardcore drop-tests all over the internet didn't seem to hurt this phone...

Now there is a "Standby" in Device Monitor that seems to eat a lot of power... �8-o

Thanks if anyone could direct me... :-)

(also, after Sachesi update to 10.3.1.1779 from .0.908 Android apps stopped working)

Haven't bothered doing any wipe/reload, because it's in use "around the clock" as a work device. My Q10 gave up with a dead screen for no apparent reason apart from me having swapped out the keyboard a few weeks ago. Gonna check the connections inside again... :-)

�   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   �
    05-03-15 04:52 PM

I don't need to know 700,000 developers, but you can easily see which developers are putting out legitimate apps on the various phone operating systems.

Z30 was great 18 months ago. It still only has 16MB of internal memory and you can't load apps on the SD card. I was out of room on my Z10 and could not load another app it without deleting another. No thank you.
    05-04-15 10:35 AM

Exactly. There is no doubt my Z30 gets better battery life than my Nexus 5 (the 5 is older also) but its not about to die all day. It gets me through my work day rather easily. The ecosystem is huge if you have a specific need for it. I'd rather have it than not.
    05-04-15 03:57 PM
    OT:

Since the last backup with BB Link, my Passport barely lasts 8 hours on .1779.

There was one occasion where I slammed the phone down in its case ***flat*** on the table before on the same day (usually not my thing, there was a "situation"), it rebooted itself, could that have done anything? The phone looks fine as ever. All the hardcore drop-tests all over the internet didn't seem to hurt this phone...

Now there is a "Standby" in Device Monitor that seems to eat a lot of power... �8-o

Thanks if anyone could direct me... :-)

(also, after Sachesi update to 10.3.1.1779 from .0.908 Android apps stopped working)

Haven't bothered doing any wipe/reload, because it's in use "around the clock" as a work device. My Q10 gave up with a dead screen for no apparent reason apart from me having swapped out the keyboard a few weeks ago. Gonna check the connections inside again... :-)

IT'S THE KINDLE APP!

It went amok after update to 10.3.1.
    Deleted, all good again. Let others know... :-)

TgeekB, JRF_1986, bungaboy and 1 others like this.
    05-04-15 06:19 PM
    I disagree that it's a better device, a couple of my friends bought the edge the day it was released and they all took the device back because of poor battery performance and software glitches. For a flagship devices priced over 750.00, it was not acceptable to them.
    They must not have not known that u have to adjust your phone to get the battery life u want. I for one enjoyed playing with the s6 and the only reason I don't have one is I'm still enjoying my S4 lol.

Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy S4
    05-04-15 06:21 PM
    I adjusted my s6....and I'm a light user...still dead by 3pm....samsung really needs to tweak some software and fast! Lol

Wacky wide n wonderful!
    05-05-15 05:43 AM
    I adjusted my s6....and I'm a light user...still dead by 3pm....samsung really needs to tweak some software and fast! Lol

Wacky wide n wonderful!
    You are more patient than I am. I would have returned it already. I cannot stand a phone that has a poor battery life. My Bold 9900 was BORDERLINE for me...

westiewanderer likes this.
    05-05-15 12:18 PM

Your smartphone's best app? Battery life, say 89% of Britons
    http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...-89-of-britons

Survey shows battery life to be the single main gripe of today's mobile phone user
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/Surve...e-user_id49818

Consumers Want Better Smartphone Batteries, Survey Says
    http://time.com/3658068/better-batteries/

IDC Survey of 50,000 users across 25 different countries finds battery life is the biggest single purchase driver
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/sci-tec...rvey-1.1821084

Just a small sample of some data collected on the hierarchy of needs.

Via CB Android on BB10 (jst 4 kiks)
    05-05-15 02:19 PM

Survey shows battery life to be the single main gripe of today's mobile phone user

IDC Survey of 50,000 users across 25 different countries finds battery life is the biggest single purchase driver

Ah... but if their purchasing decisions are the final arbiter of said hierarchy, it can be inferred that BB10 devices don't meet that battery life need, right?

Do we conclude BB10 doesn't provide adequate battery life?
    TgeekB likes this.
    05-05-15 03:07 PM
    Great Wallpaper btw. (Bulli)

Posted via CB10
    westiewanderer likes this.
    05-05-15 03:32 PM
    Your smartphone's best app? Battery life, say 89% of Britons | Technology | The Guardian

What Do Consumers Want? Better Batteries, Not Wearables

Battery life trumps all other smartphone features for consumers: survey | CTV News

If true then why are they not buying a Blackberry Passport or Blackberry Z30?
    05-05-15 04:13 PM

Don't forget the study that found that the majority of smartphone users do not download any apps...

05-05-15 04:17 PM
    If true then why are they not buying a Blackberry Passport or Blackberry Z30?
    Because having a phone brand that's "uncool" is worse than being stuck to the wall for most people. Go ahead and try to mention to people how most BB phones have good battery life. I guarantee you will not even get to the battery part, they will cut you off the moment you say the word "BlackBerry."

05-05-15 04:19 PM
    Because having a phone brand that's "uncool" is worse than being stuck to the wall for most people. Go ahead and try to mention to people how most BB phones have good battery life. I guarantee you will not even get to the battery part, they will cut you off the moment you say the word "BlackBerry."

And I don't disagree with most of your point, except it makes it sound like everyone who uses anything other than a Blackberry is ONLY doing it because its uncool. For instance, I have a Z30 and a Nexus 5, love them both. I think I stated above that the Z30 gets better battery life which I love. But the Nexus 5 has things I love too. So I go back and forth because neither is perfect. Trust me, I'm way beyond trying to be cool.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    05-05-15 04:30 PM
209 ... 23456 ...