Research In Motion CEO Thorsten Heins revealed during a press conference today that current BlackBerry 7 smartphones would not be upgraded to the new BlackBerry 10 platform when it launches later this year. Additionally, BlackBerry 7 apps will not necessarily work with BlackBerry 10, and vice-versa. RIM did say that it may port some older BlackBerry 7 apps to the new platform, and it is committing to support BlackBerry 7.1 for "a while." RIM made a similar break last year when it revealed that older BlackBerry 6 devices would not see upgrades to BlackBerry 7. The path RIM is taking with BlackBerry 10 is also very similar to the moves Microsoft and Palm made when they introduced their next-generation mobile platforms.

Not good news for those of us that just upgraded our phones and can't get another good deal for two years. Oh well will just have to sit back and see how everything goes for Rim and the BB 10.
    05-02-12 11:53 AM
    This was known before today or even before BB10 was announced.
    Premium1 likes this.
    05-02-12 11:57 AM
    I purchased my BB 7 as a stop gap while I wait for the BB 10 to come out, I wasn't certain I wanted a touch phone or a new BB 9000 series BB 10 unit early next year. Do I care that I will own a BB 9900 when the perfect phone appears? No.

We aren't prohibited from owning two phones nor is it a financial burden to buy one of the latest phones in early 2013. I feel I stole a PB this year, got it for nothing and love it with my BB 9900 so a few extra bucks for a new phone will mean nothing to me.

I wish BB would offer a sign up program for us to pre-order the new phone right now. I would commit to a BB 10 if it meant I could get one before everyone else!! That's how committed I am to seeing BB back on track.

I have noticed that my data package is way over blown for just the PB bridged to my phone. I think I might get a dedicated line to this phone with a really cheap data package to run bridge on separately. If I can reduce the cost of operating this bridge combo, it will pay for itself in a matter of months. I use my PB at the lake and while out on the boat all summer long and it works great.
    05-02-12 12:13 PM

I wish BB would offer a sign up program for us to pre-order the new phone right now. I would commit to a BB 10 if it meant I could get one before everyone else!! That's how committed I am to seeing BB back on track.
    So true my friend. If I could sign up now and be guaranteed a BB10 device before the general public, I would have done so last year after BB DevCon
    05-02-12 12:20 PM
    I got my 9930 knowing I wouldn't be able to get the new OS, and quite frankly I don't really want it to. I love this OS, I honestly think its perfect. And I had the same feelings about OS 4,5, and 6 in their prime. The BB10 devices look amazing, brilliant, ofcourse. But until one comes out that I feel will give me the ultimate package like my 9930 has, I'm not gonna stress getting one. If every review is solid and there are no kinks to work out then I'd gladly pay retail price for one if I don't have an upgrade.

Sent from space using Tapatalk
    05-02-12 12:22 PM
    Research In Motion CEO Thorsten Heins revealed during a press conference today that current BlackBerry 7 smartphones would not be upgraded to the new BlackBerry 10 platform when it launches later this year. Additionally, BlackBerry 7 apps will not necessarily work with BlackBerry 10, and vice-versa. RIM did say that it may port some older BlackBerry 7 apps to the new platform, and it is committing to support BlackBerry 7.1 for "a while." RIM made a similar break last year when it revealed that older BlackBerry 6 devices would not see upgrades to BlackBerry 7. The path RIM is taking with BlackBerry 10 is also very similar to the moves Microsoft and Palm made when they introduced their next-generation mobile platforms.

Not good news for those of us that just upgraded our phones and can't get another good deal for two years. Oh well will just have to sit back and see how everything goes for Rim and the BB 10.
    That's all been previously mentioned. OS6 devices don't have the hardware to handle OS7 and OS7 phones don't have the hardware to handle BB10. Yes, those moves have some similarity to what MS and Palm did. But MS isn't aiming at a security minded business audience. And Palm made their switch by pairing a potentially great OS with hardware that was less than equal in stature. RIM seems to be planning on maintaining its position as the most security oriented. And most business oriented. So, hardware and software should both be moving in those directions. Once any initial glitches get worked out, RIM should have a great line of BB10 devices.

As for upgrades, if the BB10 devices are truly compelling right out of the gate, there's always early upgrade. If not, then we have time for RIM to work out the bugs. There's an old saying about avoiding 1.0 hardware and software.
    05-02-12 12:36 PM
    This is hardly new news, and is one thing that RIM has been honest about for a long time so can we file this in the "things that we knew about six months ago" category please?..

Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-02-12 12:45 PM
    I think this is fine for those with current bb7 devices. I mean this way you can wait and see how bb10 pans out and if you can't live without bb10 you can always buy a bb10 device off contract.
    05-02-12 03:58 PM
    Wait and see, be patient and have fun while you currently got blackberry 7/7.1 and make the best out of it until you can upgrade!
    05-03-12 02:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD