I think the question to ask is why there is such a large number of iPhone users who don't care to ever check out the competition.

Why are there so many iPhone users who stick with it even though they admit to being "unimpressed" by it (as the data shows).

This question goes beyond any questions of the merits of the iPhone. This is a question of how a corporation could somehow turn a rational consumer (e.g.: one who comparison-shops and tries to get the most value for their money by examining all the options available to them) into consumers that have STOPPED comparison-shopping and will simply (as the article and data shows) 'blindly' buy the offerings from Apple with no care or concern with any alternative that is out there.

It's pretty fascinating how a corporation could exert such absolute control over such a large (primarily US based) population of consumers.

The iPhone is good product, but it is not SO good as to make a rational person stop examining other options available to them. NO product is that good.

As I mentioned in my OPost, this bodes very ominously for BlackBerry, as the BlackBerry brand is so toxic now, that attaining a significant population of similarly-obsessed consumers is, by all accounts, absolutely impossible. Apple's brand keeps its customers from even considering alternatives. BlackBerry's toxic brand is actually DRIVING consumers to evaluate alternatives.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by mnc76; 02-15-14 at 01:46 AM.
    02-15-14 01:17 AM
    I guess the mentality is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Apples TOTAL ecosystem is good. Although, reading their support forums lately shows they need to make changes too, but people like the simplicity and the don't-have-to-think/tinker capability of Apple.

Sent from my iPad
    02-15-14 01:59 AM
    Brand loyalty is a fact in every market sector, so trying so say iPhone users are dumb is just errr dumb.

This is why building and promoting your brand is so vital.

Given this basic fact I can't understand for the life of me why blackberry refused to aggressively market the z30. And don't say they are broke as they are still a multi billion dollar Company.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    02-15-14 02:17 AM
    Brand loyalty is a fact in every market sector, so trying so say iPhone users are dumb is just errr dumb.

This is why building and promoting your brand is so vital.

Given this basic fact I can't understand for the life of me why blackberry refused to aggressively market the z30. And don't say they are broke as they are still a multi billion dollar Company.

Small point: The article (and OP) never said (or believes) that iPhone users are dumb (FYI).

At least no more dumb than any other group of people.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-14 02:22 AM
    The "iTunes phone" was a Motorola device with an iTunes client. What you're suggesting here is akin to arguing that a SGS4 is a "BlackBerry" because it has BBM installed.

It's also foolish to talk about Apple "losses" here. You're not going to win a battle of the financials.
    If you actually bothered reading what I was quoting you would have understood what I was getting at.

My point no company ever always has success with there products. If you think Apple is a great magical place where all they do is succeed... you may need help!

Posted via CB10
    sheailewis1 likes this.
    02-15-14 02:27 AM
    Lol the ROKR wasn't an iPhone or even anything close to it. The only thing the Rokr had was iTunes connectivity. That's it. Motorola made the phone and it was out well before they even called it a Rokr. It was a Motorola E398, and was actually a great phone for its time. The Rokr was simply the same phone that you could connect to iTunes running Motorola's OS. Apple had zero influence on it from an OS or design standpoint.

My god I can't believe I'm even talking about it but you are so way off I couldn't not correct you. At least know your history before you comment on it.
    So why was it supported and marketed by Apple? Knowing Apple with their patent hitmans, that wanted to patent 'pinch to zoom' which is pretty much on every smart device since 2008 :/ I really don't think they would let anyone use their name for it to be smeared. It was Apple licensed, and there was a story in them days saying the phone was limited because they wanted their iPods to succeed or something. I'm sure they knew what was being released, they ain't stupid.

Also for you information the Rokr was actually marketed as a proper iPhone st time of release. You lot were probably in your nappies then with your Nokias but I saw it release

Posted via CB10
    02-15-14 02:35 AM
    Small point: The article (and OP) never said (or believes) that iPhone users are dumb (FYI).

At least no more dumb than any other group of people.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. Other posters did though, and is hardly an uncommon belief in CB.

02-15-14 02:50 AM
    Yeah right! Just like people that prefer BlackBerries have been said to be foolishly loyal because BlackBerries (or crapberries) are rubbish. Its called personal preference and not blind loyalty, everyone is allowed to like what they want, that doesn't make them foolish or blind.

I personally prefer BlackBerries, that's my thing, but generally try to be real about stuff, Apple products are great, but not for me. Its all good anyway, such articles makes for engaging reading so we can all buy into it with our emotions, either for, or against it, depending on what PR stunts are being pulled at that time......PR at its finest!
    MERCDROID and Acidwire like this.
    02-15-14 04:22 AM
    Lol just mention the word apple and those same people will flock to the thread defending it and bashing others. Here I thought things have cooled down lol. Sure apple have made products too good that people will blindly follow them, and thus they become the blind follower. If you're not one, then cool. Even if you're one and you're happy with your phone, that's good.
    02-15-14 05:01 AM
    It has always been the tool that serves me best.
    Which is exactly why you aren't loyal blindly.
    02-15-14 05:17 AM
    So why was it supported and marketed by Apple? Knowing Apple with their patent hitmans, that wanted to patent 'pinch to zoom' which is pretty much on every smart device since 2008 :/ I really don't think they would let anyone use their name for it to be smeared. It was Apple licensed, and there was a story in them days saying the phone was limited because they wanted their iPods to succeed or something. I'm sure they knew what was being released, they ain't stupid.

Also for you information the Rokr was actually marketed as a proper iPhone st time of release. You lot were probably in your nappies then with your Nokias but I saw it release

Posted via CB10
    It was supported by Apple because it was the first phone to be able to play iTunes music. It wasn't licensed by Apple or marketed as their phone at all. It wasn't called the "Apple ROKR." It was a Motorola phone that ran the Motorola OS and Motorola design. It was previously released as the E398 by Motorola. You can think all you want that it was Apple's phone but you will continue to think incorrectly.
    02-15-14 05:45 AM
    So why was it supported and marketed by Apple?
    That was the agreement with Motorola, though the “marketing” was nothing like what they do for their own devices.

Knowing Apple with their patent hitmans, that wanted to patent 'pinch to zoom' which is pretty much on every smart device since 2008 :/ I really don't think they would let anyone use their name for it to be smeared. It was Apple licensed, and there was a story in them days saying the phone was limited because they wanted their iPods to succeed or something. I'm sure they knew what was being released, they ain't stupid.
    Of course they knew it was being released. They created the itunes client that shipped on the device, and unveiled it at one of their own events. It was a deal with Motorola.

No, it wasn’t marketed as a proper “iPhone” at the time of release. The term “iPhone” was not used in public by Apple until the 1st-gen iPhone was announced. That’s one of the reasons why there was some hubbub after the announcement in 2007 as Cysco had begun selling an “iphone” in late 2006 after rebadging a Linksys product.

Linksys iPhone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    02-15-14 07:50 AM
    You must not remember the first shot they had at an 'iPhone'. I don't think anyone remembers that because it was so crap (Motorola Rokr?). Retailed for around �200. There iPod range is failing... losses coming left and right and they've cut the order of iPhones from suppliers too :|.

Posted via CB10
    You're granted the Motorola Rokr.

60% of Apple fans blindly loyal to Apple-apple.png60% of Apple fans blindly loyal to Apple-q42013piechart.png 60% of Apple fans blindly loyal to Apple-q12014piechartcorrected.png

Looks like iPod holding steady at 2%.

There cutting the production of iPhone 5c does not indicate a loss. They are still producing it. At the same time they they cut production of on 5c by 35%, they increased the production of the more expensive iPhone 5s by 75%
    Apple increases production of iphone 5s by 75%
    The "losses coming left and right " are in your inability to research before posting.
    avt123 likes this.
    02-15-14 08:59 AM
    There's nothing like amateur psychology on CrackBerry.
    Perfect.
    02-15-14 09:21 AM
    I guess the mentality is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Apples TOTAL ecosystem is good. Although, reading their support forums lately shows they need to make changes too, but people like the simplicity and the don't-have-to-think/tinker capability of Apple.

Sent from my iPad
    I very much agree with you here. Setting aside feature comparisons of the various platforms, iOS is very much marketed as an OS that you can simply pick up and use with little to no learning curve or set up. I have a Note 3 that I love and tinker with it a lot. It can run circles around my bf's 5s but he wouldn't fathom using an Android for that very reason. He appreciates the simplicity and out of the box functionality of Apple products. This is not to say that you couldn't use an Android of BB out of the box and not tinker with it but through marketing Apple has really driven the no tinker point home hence the "it just works" marketing. They are all mobile devices but they are very different products that appeal to very different consumes. It appears that the marketplace has a lot of people seeking the "it just works" persona of the iPhone.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    02-15-14 09:39 AM
    Yes the iphone is simple and just works, and yes many people like that. But being simple, usually means "lacking" and that folks defines Apple products in a more accurate sense....the z30 clearly demonstrates how lacking the iphone is. Battery life, HDMI, NFC, DNLA, Miracast,flash, on board memory and no memory card slot, stereo speakers, true multitasking, the HUB, screen size, Flow, Balance.....the list goes on and on. In a true z30 vs iphone showdown, the iphone doesn't stand a chance. The app section they might win by a hair.....but nothing of any significance. Iphone users don't even bother commenting unless you are ready for a head to head showdown. Else your wasting everyone's time......period.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-14 09:58 AM
    I very much agree with you here. Setting aside feature comparisons of the various platforms, iOS is very much marketed as an OS that you can simply pick up and use with little to no learning curve or set up. I have a Note 3 that I love and tinker with it a lot. It can run circles around my bf's 5s but he wouldn't fathom using an Android for that very reason. He appreciates the simplicity and out of the box functionality of Apple products. This is not to say that you couldn't use an Android of BB out of the box and not tinker with it but through marketing Apple has really driven the no tinker point home hence the "it just works" marketing. They are all mobile devices but they are very different products that appeal to very different consumes. It appears that the marketplace has a lot of people seeking the "it just works" persona of the iPhone.
    So you are telling me that someone who has been using those flip phones can just pick up an iPhone with no prior experience and be able to use it right?

The truth is apple has gained a steadhold on smartphone market to where the majority of people using smartphones have at one point or the other tried it. Some stuck with it and others didn't but the simplicity is being exaggerated. It's a bit dumb down but saying it's more simple is imo wrong. The thing with the other OS (wp8, android, bb10) is that they are a bit more user friendly with their commands.. different buttons for different functions unlike pitting everything under one button

Posted via CB10
    02-15-14 10:19 AM
    Yes the iphone is simple and just works, and yes many people like that. But being simple, usually means "lacking" and that folks defines Apple products in a more accurate sense....the z30 clearly demonstrates how lacking the iphone is. Battery life, HDMI, NFC, DNLA, Miracast,flash, on board memory and no memory card slot, stereo speakers, true multitasking, the HUB, screen size, Flow, Balance.....the list goes on and on. In a true z30 vs iphone showdown, the iphone doesn't stand a chance. The app section they might win by a hair.....but nothing of any significance. Iphone users don't even bother commenting unless you are ready for a head to head showdown. Else your wasting everyone's time......period.

Posted via CB10
    I own both so I'll bite. A lot of the features you mention the general public has no idea what they are. I guarantee you if I polled 10 random people off of the street no one would no what Miracast is, what DNLA is, or care about Flash. If I polled those same 10 people I guarantee you at least a handful of them would know that they can stream content wirelessly to their Apple TV.

Screen size is subjective as many people don't want a huge screen, true multitasking doesn't mean anything as there isn't a definition of "true multitasking," and hub and flow are nice features but to say that because the Z30 has that and the iPhone doesn't so it's less of a phone is silly. I can say well the iPhone has the pull up drawer from the bottom and the Z30 doesn't so the iPhone is better.

You are forgetting about camera (which the iPhone is hands down better) media player (iPhone better), app selection (it's not better by a hair, it's miles better), screen resolution (iPhone better), build quality (iPhone better) to name a few things.

Every phone has it's good qualities but to say that the Z30 is better than the iPhone because of the things you listed doesn't make any sense.
    bbq10l, Rello and morales0416 like this.
    02-15-14 10:22 AM
    So you are telling me that someone who has been using those flip phones can just pick up an iPhone with no prior experience and be able to use it right?

The truth is apple has gained a steadhold on smartphone market to where the majority of people using smartphones have at one point or the other tried it. Some stuck with it and others didn't but the simplicity is being exaggerated. It's a bit dumb down but saying it's more simple is imo wrong. The thing with the other OS (wp8, android, bb10) is that they are a bit more user friendly with their commands.. different buttons for different functions unlike pitting everything under one button

Posted via CB10
    Not sure what flip phones you are referring to, my parents have one and hands down the iPhone is easier to use than that thing. You turn on the iPhone and you get 6 or 7 icons on a home screen that represent the basic functions of the phone. Not sure why you think a flip phone is easier since you have to scroll through an confusing menu just to find the text messaging screen, which is something my parents have trouble with (and therefore never use).

I also wasn't saying I agree that the iPhone is simpler to use I simply said that it is the way it is marketed and hence that is how people accept it as when comparing to Android or BB. Personally I find the iPhone frustrating to use and find my Note 3 far more simpler to use. My 9900 is my work phone and I find that to be simpler to use than an iPhone but that's just me.
    Last edited by Bigruss8; 02-15-14 at 10:38 AM.
    02-15-14 10:26 AM
    BlackBerry would kill for stats like this study shows.
    02-15-14 10:36 AM
    I own both so I'll bite. A lot of the features you mention the general public has no idea what they are. I guarantee you if I polled 10 random people off of the street no one would no what Miracast is, what DNLA is, or care about Flash. If I polled those same 10 people I guarantee you at least a handful of them would know that they can stream content wirelessly to their Apple TV.

Screen size is subjective as many people don't want a huge screen, true multitasking doesn't mean anything as there isn't a definition of "true multitasking," and hub and flow are nice features but to say that because the Z30 has that and the iPhone doesn't so it's less of a phone is silly. I can say well the iPhone has the pull up drawer from the bottom and the Z30 doesn't so the iPhone is better.

You are forgetting about camera (which the iPhone is hands down better) media player (iPhone better), app selection (it's not better by a hair, it's miles better), screen resolution (iPhone better), build quality (iPhone better) to name a few things.

Every phone has it's good qualities but to say that the Z30 is better than the iPhone because of the things you listed doesn't make any sense.
    You say all these things, yet head to head and less than a few minutes, every single time an iphone user looks down at the z30 and BlackBerry, I gladly demonstrate what they are missing. Every time they are amazed, or just sit quietly. You are right on 1 point.....if you polled 10 people off the street they wouldn't know! That sir, you are right!

Posted via CB10
    02-15-14 11:04 AM
    I thought that number would be higher. Something around 90% I would think. They like it but there's a big "but". Whether it is the storage, battery or keyboard typing.

Sent from the best touch keyboard, the Z.
    02-15-14 11:11 AM
    02-15-14 11:12 AM
    This article seems to kind-of dispute this (that all people use the iPhone because it suits their needs and not simply because it's an Apple product). It says many users stick to Apple because its Apple and will not consider any other device for any reason.

That was my reading at least.

Posted via CB10
    People stick with brand "quality" and "simplicity" of iOS, quality along with basic appeal. Since Steve Jobs revealed the Mac the public eye went crazy over its pristine look it's quality for hardware and the simplicity of the operating system, perfection in the eyes of a man who had a dream to keep it one way, and that way was his way. In other words a true visionary and an eye for basic architecture which fashioned a trend for Apple branded products. That what keeps consumers loyal. Spearheading a company like Samsung who always must try to outperform others but spends no time incorporating quality into their products has a fan base due to extras android being versatile has a fan base to open platform and the multiplicity to do more, too much leads to confusion insecurity with it's built architecture and hardware leads to consumer loss, but then again there's always loyalist with every brand Tommy Hillfigar Ralph Lauren Calvin Kline which would you choose and why?
    xanadome likes this.
    02-15-14 11:13 AM
    Which is exactly why you aren't loyal blindly.
    Actually, neither are the users according to the original article. They admit to being "blindly" loyal but follow up with reasons why they choose to buy Apple. So their choices appear to be driven, even if on a less conscious or deliberate level, by personal data that has helped build a sense of trust and comfort with the company.

Someone mentioned the "not impressed" comnent, what does it even mean? How was the question phrased or was it a spontaneous response? For me, I was impressed for maybe 24h with how fast the 5s was, then it became normal. Didn't mean it was any slower but my expectations readjusted. It fit in comfortably like my favorite pair of over-washed sweats. It's not as if it is designed with the equivalent of a deafening muffler on a tricked out car to constantly remind everyone how much POWAH I am packing.

Original survey was a little odd.
    02-15-14 11:35 AM
178 ... 23456 ...