I agree with all the points (especially #s 2 and 4) except #5. The underlying assumption in point #5, at least to me, is that Whatsapp is sitting back and doing nothing. Remember, they just added voice messaging.
    09-12-13 09:00 AM
    There are many deluded posters here.. BB keeps losing users by the ton everyday and lose BBM users by the ton and people still clinging to a dying messaging system and platform..

Sent from my HTC One using CB Forums mobile app
    09-12-13 09:16 AM
    Unfortunately, those six reasons are, at least for me, crushed by one to the contrary -- my once healthy list of BBM contacts dwindled to but one person by the beginning of this year. And that was my wife, who was forced to go back to her 9810 after she dropped her iPhone 4S in the toilet. She has since moved on to the S4, so I have no BBM contacts left, and hence no desire whatsoever to put the cross-platform version on my Note 2.
    Did whe drop her iPhone in the toilet or did you "accidently" throw it in?

Posted via CB10
    09-12-13 09:24 AM
    There were about 6 reasons why Beta was better than VHS..... I forgot how that played out.... Oh yeah, Sony discontinued Beta in 1987 or something. It turns out the single most important thing was a critical mass of users. Once everybody was onboard the VHS train, nobody cared Beta was better in just about all aspects.

Now, BBM is a nice piece of software, but it won't be easy for them to unseat the incumbents in the other platforms. It is FAR from a done deal.
    You do realize that this is a flawed analogy for this discussion, right? That Betamax only discontinued for mass personal use in 1987 and was used in professional settings (and still is in many cases) until the widespread use of digital and HD recording? And that the reason it failed was because Sony kept Beta as a closed system whereas JVC licensed out VHS to anyone who was interested? If the argument were to keep BBM exclusive to BlackBerry then I could see your point. A better analogy might be the race between HDDVD and BluRay. BluRay won out (look at SOny learning some lessons.. good for them) and HDDVD lost due to positioning mostly.. On the face of it (for many) it was a lopsided battle with Microsoft putting the HDDVD option in the Xbox and the BluRay being 'relegated' to the Playstation 3 but the deciding factor was the movie studio support behind BluRay. If BlackBerry can position themselves with the right strategic partners (like they seem to have done with Samsung) then they can get cross platform BBM rolled out on new devices so a portion of the uptake shock will be done away with right out of the gates.
    byrdbrained likes this.
    09-12-13 09:35 AM
    Whatsapp has the check mark when delivered and the forward slash next to it when the message is read.

Sent from my BBRY using Tapatalk
    If you read Whatsapp's FAQ you will see that the checkmark is to indicate that it's been delivered to the server and the slash that it's been delivered to the device, not that it's been read...
    09-12-13 09:45 AM
    Isn't BBM now connected to BB ID rather than PIN? Android devices and iPhones won't have PINs, so people on these platforms will need to establish BB IDs, right? So what BBM "contact info" will an iPhone user give to someone else to establish contact on BBM?

I'm not saying this won't preserve privacy; I'm just wondering how it'll work. Will BB owners like myself, who use both BB and non-BB devices, be able to have the same ID across devices? With WhatsApp, when I put the SIM into my GS4 I have to reauthorize the phone number to get the app to work. Since BBM doesn't appear to be SIM-dependent, if I leave my Z10 on wifi and have BBM on my GS4, will BBM messages be simultaneously delivered to both? Other BB ID services, such as BB World, don't require my Z10 to have the SIM in it. They work find without SIM on wifi.
    You raise an interesting question... certainly on legacy devices, you can't have the same BBID associated with two devices at the same time without running into some trouble but in BB10 I'm not sure if you run into the same trouble when switching from say a Z10 to a Q10.. Any multiple handset users out there confirm whether you are asked if you want to associate the BBID with the new device on BB10 the way it was on legacy devices?
    09-12-13 09:51 AM
    Isn't BBM now connected to BB ID rather than PIN? Android devices and iPhones won't have PINs, so people on these platforms will need to establish BB IDs, right? So what BBM "contact info" will an iPhone user give to someone else to establish contact on BBM?

I'm not saying this won't preserve privacy; I'm just wondering how it'll work. Will BB owners like myself, who use both BB and non-BB devices, be able to have the same ID across devices? With WhatsApp, when I put the SIM into my GS4 I have to reauthorize the phone number to get the app to work. Since BBM doesn't appear to be SIM-dependent, if I leave my Z10 on wifi and have BBM on my GS4, will BBM messages be simultaneously delivered to both? Other BB ID services, such as BB World, don't require my Z10 to have the SIM in it. They work find without SIM on wifi.
    You raise an interesting question... certainly on legacy devices, you can't have the same BBID associated with two devices at the same time without running into some trouble but in BB10 I'm not sure if you run into the same trouble when switching from say a Z10 to a Q10.. Any multiple handset users out there confirm whether you are asked if you want to associate the BBID with the new device on BB10 the way it was on legacy devices?
    I asked a somewhat similar question the other day, and here is what Kris had to say.
    paper_monkey likes this.
    09-12-13 11:51 AM
    I asked a somewhat similar question the other day, and here is what Kris had to say.
    Good to know, thanks!
    09-12-13 02:04 PM
    First thing I did today......check for bbm in the app store.

Much sadness ensued.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-13 04:47 PM
    First thing I did today......check for bbm in the app store.

Much sadness ensued.
    Meanwhile, I checked Google Play, and found at least five fake apps.

Much more sadness ensued.
    09-12-13 04:52 PM
    Whatsapp has the check mark when delivered and the forward slash next to it when the message is read.

Sent from my BBRY using Tapatalk
    However... In whatsapp... 1 check mark means the message was delivered to the server and 2 check marks means it was delivered to the phone..... There is no way to tell when the message was read..... You are incorrect... It was posted on the front page a few days ago, and its in Whatsapp FAQs on their site.....
    09-13-13 07:40 PM
36 12