Guys, check our n4bb.com site, they have released pics of the mobile hotspot working in 6.1

03-11-11 08:49 AM
    Here a direct link to the page.
    http://n4bb.com/5027/first-look-at-b...thering-os-6-1

Thanks for the heads up. this looks very exciting.
    03-11-11 08:53 AM
    yeah, i'm stoked. definitely just getting a wifi only playbook. no need for a 3g playbook with the os6.1 devices
    03-11-11 09:51 AM
    One glaring issue... Bluetooth cannot work at the same time the hotspot capability is turned on. lol Super!
    03-11-11 10:03 AM
    im glad the new BBs are going to get this feature. It is great if you have good 3G signal. i use it alot on my Inc but its slow as crap if you have a bad 3G signal and just eats battery
    03-11-11 10:07 AM
    One glaring issue... Bluetooth cannot work at the same time the hotspot capability is turned on. lol Super!
    It works, it's just limited. In reading, if you have a headset already connected, it'll be fine.
    03-11-11 10:17 AM
    It works, it's just limited. In reading, if you have a headset already connected, it'll be fine.
    Bluetooth uses the same frequencies as Wi-Fi, and by having a Wi-Fi antenna receiving/sending multiple Wi-Fi signals from different devices, there's bound to be Bluetooth signal quality degradation.
    03-11-11 11:08 AM
    So the implication I see is not related to headsets, but the Bridge/Secure BT connection.

If you get a new hotspot capable phone, turn that on, have your PB access the hotspot for internet, can you still then fireup the bridge secure BT to get PIM stuff/mail???
    03-11-11 11:34 AM
    It says you can tether over bluetooth now anyway. That way you can probably have the Bridge and access to your 3G data that way.
    03-11-11 01:17 PM
    Anyone know if it's possible to give the Bold 9780 or the torch such mobile hotspot capabilities via a possible 6.1 update?
    03-11-11 06:52 PM
    I just got a 9650, after no less then 5 Verizon reps told me it had mobile hotspot, but it turns out you can only use USB. That was key to my decision to buy this rather than an iPhone -- I figured, with the hotspot I'll just carry my iPod Touch along with the BlackBerry and have the best of both worlds. Really disappointed.

Hope this 6.1 is available for the Essex soon.
    03-13-11 12:11 AM
    this will be a hardware thing, just because you get 6.1 doesnt mean you can do this
    03-13-11 04:25 AM
    I just got a 9650, after no less then 5 Verizon reps told me it had mobile hotspot, but it turns out you can only use USB. That was key to my decision to buy this rather than an iPhone -- I figured, with the hotspot I'll just carry my iPod Touch along with the BlackBerry and have the best of both worlds. Really disappointed.

Wow..they really wanted to make a sale huh? Either that or they have absolutely NO idea what mobile hotspotting is lol. If I were you i'd have taken the phone back and said "If you can show me where the mobile hotspot feature is, I'll keep the phone..otherwise I want my money back"
    03-13-11 07:42 AM
    this will be a hardware thing, just because you get 6.1 doesnt mean you can do this
    Theoretically it WOULD be possible on existing hardware, I mean ANY wi-fi card can also serve as a router with the right software...look at Connectify for Windows...it turns your wireless card into a Wi-Fi hotspot, but I kinda have the feeling only new hardware will get it "just because"
    03-13-11 10:17 AM
    Hope it has been less than 2 weeks. That is all the Verizon return policy is now.
    03-13-11 12:58 PM

Wait, so you're saying you wanted tethering via USB as opposed to WIFI Hotspot capabilities and this is why you chose the 9650?

Also, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. 6.1 won't be coming out for your Tour2. RIM's never been one to support 2 future OS generations on the same model phone. Yours came with 5.x on it and you got 6.0, that's it unfortunately.
    03-13-11 09:56 PM
    Am I missing something here? Can't any BB connect to a hotspot via a WiFi connection?

My boss has a Sprint hotspot, an AT&T BB and I have a TMO BB. He gave me his password and I can connect to it if I want.

To me it looks like RIM is just making it easier for you to connect your BB to their hotspot.
    03-14-11 06:10 AM
    Wait, so you're saying you wanted tethering via USB as opposed to WIFI Hotspot capabilities and this is why you chose the 9650?

Also, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. 6.1 won't be coming out for your Tour2. RIM's never been one to support 2 future OS generations on the same model phone. Yours came with 5.x on it and you got 6.0, that's it unfortunately.
    I believe what he was saying was he was told by verizon reps that his 9650 would HAVE mobile hotspot so he got it instead of the iPhone only to realize it does not

Am I missing something here? Can't any BB connect to a hotspot via a WiFi connection?

My boss has a Sprint hotspot, an AT&T BB and I have a TMO BB. He gave me his password and I can connect to it if I want.

To me it looks like RIM is just making it easier for you to connect your BB to their hotspot.
    Its so your BB can become a hotspot for other devices
    eds817 likes this.
    03-14-11 07:29 AM
    Looking at the specs for the new devices it looks like they might be supporting
    T-MO HSPA+ network. I wonder if the 5 devices connecting to the hotspot will take advantage of the speed or just be limited to about 1-1.5mbps. I was playing with my friends Samsung S's hotspot capabilities and my laptop kept maxing out at no more than 1.5mbps even tho his phone was pulling about 3-4mbps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-11 09:02 AM
    I have yet to see this on an actual blackberry that I will own in the future. Speeds are limited by network design, which is a drag. Telus claims 21MB/s, which is actually 2.1MB/s. Soon to be 42MB/s, which is actually 4.2MB/s and they're already claiming to be 4G when all their devices are still 3G and likely being the truth, it's all 3.5G.

03-14-11 10:10 AM
    The hotspot feature sounds awesome but I hope it can go faster than 1.5mbps with a decent low latency. Its prob not gonna happen but I can only hope.

03-14-11 11:33 AM
    Bold 9780
    answer
    yes you have to install files for that in your phone
    03-14-11 01:56 PM

I don't see 6.1 as being the "next" generation of Blackberry OS, but rather a minor update...I mean..would you consider iOS 4.3 to be the "next generation" up from iOS 4.22?

With that said, I believe there's a fair chance the Bold could get at least one 6.1 Build since it has the memory for it, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.
    03-14-11 05:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD