I realize that 5G coming online isn't a BB, the '5G Standard' as been agreed upon by all and I heard several USA carriers have been testing for a while now in large cities.
    Anyone here 'In The Know' able to set a year that it will roll out by T.Mobile in USA?
    I'm seriously going to try to hold out until 5G is here on Tmobile and BB has a 5G phone.
    How far away are we all from 5G??
    07-04-18 10:06 AM
    T-Mobile says 2019, although what the Sprint merger would do to that is unknown. That said, given TCL's response to T-Mobile's LTE 66/71, and their pathological dependence on mid-range parts, give it a year or two after the 5G rollout for it to show up in their devices (assuming they'll still make them by then).
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    07-04-18 10:11 AM
    T-Mobile says 2019, although what the Sprint merger would do to that is unknown. That said, given TCL's response to T-Mobile's LTE 66/71, and their pathological dependence on mid-range parts, give it a year or two after the 5G rollout for it to show up in their devices (assuming they'll still make them by then).
    Being the k1 I've got is unlocked, I assumed updates came direct from TCL/BB? And I do know T-Mobile doesn't deal with me since I have a Mint sim, which Mint wholesales from TMo.??
    07-04-18 10:17 AM
    Being the k1 I've got is unlocked, I assumed updates came direct from TCL/BB? And I do know T-Mobile doesn't deal with me since I have a Mint sim, which Mint wholesales from TMo.??
    Direct from TCL, yes. The update mechanism for most KEYones doesn't care what carrier you're on (unlike BB10), but it does care where you bought the device from (also unlike BB10).
    07-04-18 10:19 AM
    Direct from TCL, yes. The update mechanism for most KEYones doesn't care what carrier you're on (unlike BB10), but it does care where you bought the device from (also unlike BB10).
    humm, Can current keyones run 5G? Is it a software or hardware function? Anyone know this?
    07-04-18 10:32 AM
    humm, Can current keyones run 5G? Is it a software or hardware function? Anyone know this?
    Hardware, so no.
    07-04-18 11:00 AM
    I realize that 5G coming online isn't a BB, the '5G Standard' as been agreed upon by all and I heard several USA carriers have been testing for a while now in large cities.
    Anyone here 'In The Know' able to set a year that it will roll out by T.Mobile in USA?
    I'm seriously going to try to hold out until 5G is here on Tmobile and BB has a 5G phone.
    How far away are we all from 5G??
    5G won't be out for mass use till 2021/2022. When it does happen expect your Data Prices to jump higher and higher
    07-05-18 12:55 PM
    5G won't be out for mass use till 2021/2022. When it does happen expect your Data Prices to jump higher and higher
    It's hard to say.... one UK article I read said that it won't probable be functional there until 2020.... with another 5 year to roll out to other world markets. Same article did state the it would be tough for carrier's to get the cost down where it would be tempting for users.

Might be where you have to pay extra for 5G Service, and that it might mostly be used by IoT devices and people without a cable option at home. Or it might create a new battle to caputure new subscription and lower cost...

But I've read other articles that stat the Verizon already has a few cities testing 5G fixed devices (routers, hotspots). That 2019 is the year that all four US Carrier's will begin deployment. And that we will see 5G phones in 2019.....

Saw one article that Apple was looking to switch to MediaTek in place of Intel or Qualcomm because they are further long with 5G chipset. Might be a rumor, might be Apple putting pressure on suppliers.... But it Apple is set on having 5G in 2019, I think 2020 will be the year for it.
    07-05-18 02:25 PM
    There are no phones with 28GHz 5G transceivers.
    The first 5G phones will be below 6 GHz at 4G speeds.
    4G was supposed to be 1Gb/s when it came out 8-10 years ago.
    It never reached that speed.
    Current 5G tests are not with handheld mobile terminals...they are with basestations, routers and cars.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-18 10:37 PM
    Military is already using 5G tech. Test and live environment.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-18 11:38 PM
    5G will happen as soon as Apple invents it.
    RoseBud68 likes this.
    07-08-18 11:52 PM