My Verizon 8830, OS 4.2.2.176, was working perfectly when I last posted around midnight. I left it on and charging overnight. When I got up at 5:30 today and checked messages, I got a 503 error when I attempted to go to crackberry. I pulled the battery, checked again, got the same message, and went to work.

Here's the message:
    HTTP error 503: service unavailable. The server is currently unable to handle your request due to a temporary overloading or maintenance of the server. Please try loading a different page. Contact your service provider if this problem persists.

When I press the details button, I get the following:
    Network error (dns_server_failure). Your request cannot be processed because an error occurred contacting the DNS server. The DNS server may be temporarily unavailable, or there could be a network problem. For assistance, contact your network support team.

I tried a Google Search on my 8830, and got the same 503 error, so I assumed the problem was with the network or my device and not with Crackberry.

Using my laptop, I googled crackberry for solutions to the 503 error. There were a lot of posts about it. A surprising number just ended, with no resolution posted. I did pick up the advice to clear the cache and cookies.

I performed the following steps:
    1. pulled the battery: didn't help
    2. re-registered the HRT: didn't help
    3. cleared the history, cache and cookies: didn't help
    4. changed the emulation from BB to IE: didn't help
    5. deleted the Blackberry Internet Browsing Service, rebooted, and undeleted: didn't help

At this point I gave up and called my help desk. He checked with Verizon and they said everything looked good on their end and sent him a list of things to try. By then, he'd been called to another problem, so he didn't get around to doing anything they suggested.

A couple of hours later, I called him and learned what Verizon had told him, and that he hadn't done anything yet. With nothing else to try, I decided to try Google again. This time it completed the search without an error. So I tried the crackberry forum. Same 503 error. Just on a hunch, I cleared the history, cookies, and cache again. Tried the crackberry forum. It worked.

So the problem seems to have gone away. I won't claim to have fixed it.
    The most likely explanation: Verizon found and fixed the DNS problem without telling my IT guy, knowing he'd follow their procedure, discover it working, and assume he'd fixed it, absolving them from any responsibility.

Second most likely explanation: it was somehow necessary to clear the cookies and cache twice to truly clear them.

Third most likely: entropy is always increasing; it just got a little faster in Florida this morning.

I'm open for suggestions. If anybody else has had the clearing the cache twice experience, I'd like to know it. I'm assuming there was no widespread Verizon outage overnight, since they didn't mention it to my tech and there was no mention in the forum.

I'm also posting this so anybody else with a mysterious 503 error will at least know what I tried, and how it ultimately played out.
    07-25-08 11:14 AM
    By coincidence, I lost communications last night too. It was my ISP down, I felt so cut off from the World.

Caches are tricky piece of code. Every time you request a page, 90% will come from your cache, speeding up the performance.

Refreshing page views used to be a insider trick when using the WAP forums.

From your description, you used Clear Content Cache. Once you clear it, there is no way content will survive.

I suspect Option #1 is the most likely scenario. A network error that was corrected as a matter of course.

Acknowledging it could generate a liability exposure, you can be sure the CS folks will never admit it.
    07-25-08 12:20 PM
    Try going into your browser settings and turning on java support, worked for me, thats of course if you havent figured out the solution already
    08-17-08 01:53 AM
    Try going into your browser settings and turning on java support, worked for me, thats of course if you havent figured out the solution already
    Thank you. I did have Java support enabled at the time of the problem.

Welcome to the forums! For good, general information, be sure to check out the Getting Started Guide and the BlackBerry 101 Lecture Series under the Newbies tab at the top of the page.
    08-17-08 07:56 AM
    Jeff:

As per HTTP Error 503: Service Unavailable is displayed when attempting to open a web page in BlackBerry Browser:

Environment
    * BlackBerry® Enterprise Server software version 4.1
    * BlackBerry Device Software 4.0 to 4.2

Problem
    When attempting to open a web page in the BlackBerry Browser, the following error message is displayed:

HTTP Error 503: Service Unavailable
    The server is currently unable to handle your request due to a temporary overloading or maintenance of the server. Please try loading a different page. Contact your service provider if this problem persists.

Cause
    There are multiple causes for this error.

Summary of Causes
    1. The BlackBerry Mobile Data System (BlackBerry MDS) is not enabled for the BlackBerry Enterprise Server and the BlackBerry device user account.
    2. The web site that the BlackBerry device user is attempting to access is not available. For example, the proxy server is not configured to allow access to that web site.

Resolution
    Complete the appropriate resolution for your cause.

Cause 1
    The BlackBerry Mobile Data System (BlackBerry MDS) is not enabled for the BlackBerry Enterprise Server and the BlackBerry device user account.

Resolution
    Enable the BlackBerry MDS Connection Service for the BlackBerry Enterprise Server by completing the following steps:
    1. Click the Server Configuration tab.
    2. Expand Service Control & Customization.
    3. Click BlackBerry MDS Connection Service.

Enable the BlackBerry Mobile Data System for the BlackBerry device user account by complete the following steps:
    1. Click the User Configuration tab.
    2. Select the BlackBerry device user account.
    3. Expand Service Access and clickEnable Connection and Collaboration Services.

Cause 2
    The web site that the BlackBerry device user is attempting to access is not available. For example, the proxy server is not configured to allow access to that web site.

Resolution
    On the Proxy tab of the Mobile Data Service Properties window, set a Proxy Mapping exception. For instructions, see the BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.1 System Administration Guide.

edit: Jeff after you read all this mumbo jumbo, "I" honestly believe that this error just means the server is too busy to handle your request and try back later. Although I could be wrong.
    Last edited by J_MC; 08-17-08 at 08:52 AM.
    08-17-08 08:50 AM
    J_MC: Thanks. It's an old post that the newbie resurrected this morning. But I'm glad he did, because when I searched for help last month, I didn't find the page you just posted. Can you post the link to the source?

Our BES is Version 3.6...
    08-17-08 08:59 AM
    J_MC: Thanks. It's an old post that the newbie resurrected this morning. But I'm glad he did, because when I searched for help last month, I didn't find the page you just posted. Can you post the link to the source?

Our BES is Version 3.6...
    NP, Jeff.
    BlackBerry Search Results

BlackBerry Search Results
    08-17-08 09:22 AM
    I thought I had read this before, I used to have this problem before I set up my browser config page to what was suggested above and before I went to a 4.5.x OS - you know, when I was new For someone in a hurry who wants to just get to CB, I was always able to get CB to load by going to my GoTo page and clicking on a CB page in history. That always got me here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-08 12:13 PM
    I just had the same problem after receiving a replacement phone running 4.5. I did the following to resolve the issue:

- Go to options.
    - Go to Advanced Options.
    - Go to Browser.

I then changed default browser configuration from "Blackberry Browser" to "Internet Browser"

Everything is now working fine.
    12-05-08 08:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD