It seems we can't go a day lately without a new story about some security screw-up involving a lost or misplaced Blackberry. This week, officials with John McCain's campaign mistakenly sold a Blackberry to a Fox television reporter for $20 in a fire sale. The device contained confidential campaign information. And many Hollywood gossip publications were abuzz earlier this month with news that Tom Cruise had lost his Blackberry while promoting a movie in Toronto. (Mixed reports now peg the device as either "found," or "never lost in the first place.") more.......

5 ways to secure your Blackberry - Network World
    12-25-08 05:36 PM
    Thanks AG. The info is much appreciated!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-25-08 05:57 PM
    a lot of that is common sense. i am interested to see how spyware and things like that get into your phone...they didnt really explain that part.
    12-26-08 09:08 AM
    a lot of that is common sense. i am interested to see how spyware and things like that get into your phone...they didnt really explain that part.
    I find it suspicious that the "expert" quoted in the article is from a company that claims to have "research" indicating that:
    ...the most popular type malware currently seen on Blackberries is spyware.
    and that they offer no further information, yet do offer (for a price) a "solution".

The bottom line, based on the article and on my own experience, is that the most significant flaw in the security of any device, is the user. As long as there are people who keep their only copy of anything on a portable device, and will click "OK", "ACCEPT", "GRANT ALL", "INSTALL" on any and all dialogs that appear before them, this will continue to be the case.
    12-27-08 10:05 AM
    Good thread AG, very useful...
    12-27-08 10:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD