I think RIM should start putting these chips in their devices. They would only have to build one of each device, since the chipset itself is reprogrammable for any of the standards currently available, and will work for LTE in the future.

Sandbridge Rolls out 65nm dynamically reprogrammable, 4G capable baseband platform for Smartphones
    12-30-08 11:21 AM
    the roll out of LTE won't begin until end of 09 according to Verizon. That's just the beginning, will probably be finished by end of 2010. I don't think RIM needs to worry about putting it devices now that will be obsolete by then.
    12-30-08 11:32 AM
    But then we wouldn't be forced to upgrade to new phones... not good for business
    12-30-08 11:43 AM
    Naaa...you can keep your old phone, with your old chipset, your old tech, your old everything. No one but your innerself will force you to buy that wonderful new toy.

Get shiny.

SidIrish
    12-30-08 12:06 PM
    4G wont be in full effect till sometime in 2012 or later....
    12-30-08 12:22 PM
    yeah we're a LONG way off. Besides they make more money if you buy a NEW phone so why would they want to make it upgradable?
    12-30-08 02:24 PM
    I don't think we're along way off. T-Mobile UK and Vodafone UK have already talked about moving to it, and are no longer prepared to spend money on improving their 3G networks because of the proximity to the launch of LTE.

Similarly, Verizon Wireless were looking to start trialling it from the end of Q4 2008/Q1 2009.

It seems more realistic that LTE will be with some of us by late 2010, although this would be a minority on a global scale, however, I agree, there's not really a need to include 4G chipsets yet, unless it will prove cost effective for those involved. There will be enough time for them to do that once there is a more concrete timetable for the roll out.
    01-02-09 03:09 AM
    the roll out of LTE won't begin until end of 09 according to Verizon. That's just the beginning, will probably be finished by end of 2010. I don't think RIM needs to worry about putting it devices now that will be obsolete by then.
    No way the roll-out is finished by 2010. End of 2011 if you're lucky.
    01-02-09 11:21 AM
    4G wont be in full effect till sometime in 2012 or later....
    it's here in baltimore. sprint 4g
    01-02-09 11:49 AM
    I think they meant nationally. I'm also pretty sure LTE is better than WiMAX.
    01-02-09 12:50 PM
    4g isn't defined yet - so anything claiming to conform to it may not work with 4g in the future. Wimax, prototypes, etc. may all become part of 4g but it's a long way off yet, 2012-2015 is the target window for 4g.
    Given that the typical life of a handset is 12-24 months use before upgrade, if these chips were put into rim products now, most of them would never see use, certainly not from the original owner.
    Also, technology will progress a lot in the next 3-6 years and even if they did work when 4g was rolled out, it would be inferior to a new handset - the current processing power of phones would probably struggle with the higher data speeds.
    Be careful of stuff like wimax and sprint 4g - several companies are claiming 4g because they have something similar to it, but they could end up the way of betamax, minidisc and others when 4g is fully defined. Not saying they will, they just could, when the dust settles in several months/years time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-09 01:25 PM
    I think they meant nationally. I'm also pretty sure LTE is better than WiMAX.
    They are more or less heads up at this point.
    01-02-09 01:58 PM
    Drive down to calvert count and see if you still have service much less 4G.... I live next to a sprint tower and didn't have service. Made the switch to the dark side and haven't looked back on that one....
    01-02-09 02:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD