My current provider (Bell - CDMA) is going 4G LTE HSPA by Q1 of 2010 or sooner. I herd that the Storm will be fully compatible but I am wondering if any new BB (Jupiter, Magnum, Niagra, etc.) released next year will also be compatible?
    Last edited by new_user; 12-12-08 at 10:09 AM.
    12-12-08 09:53 AM
    The storm as of now is not lte. It will work but will just be regular 3.5g cdma. If you look in this forum I posted a thread asking about lte berries and what would be the first one. All of the above listed aside from magnum, I'm 99% possitive will not be lte.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-12-08 10:52 AM
    I wish all bb's would or could be compatible and have wifi ....... Just as an option
    I have vzw (cdma)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-12-08 08:11 PM
    I have a second part to the inquiry, but it's more of a general question..

Say that OP's carrier goes 4G by 2010. Would the possibility of 4G follow suit with other carriers (att, tmo, etc), and if so, would current BB owners / next-gen BB owners have to update their phones in some way to reflect the change, or, by that point, should everyone have purchased new hardware? (boo to that, i.m.o)
    12-12-08 09:21 PM
    Do too limitations in hardware you will need new phones for 4G networks.
    12-12-08 10:04 PM
    According to a Bell Canada rep I spoke to they said that yes many if not all current customers will need new phones to take advantage of 4G HSPA come 2010. they said that they will be offering customers an upgrade deal on new phones, whatever that amounts to is speculation.

I can see in the future cell phones being less about phone calls and more about multi-media. You'll probably be able to watch full length streamed TV shows and movies on your mobile phone. **** you might even be able to play WoW.

At any rate the Storm will not need an upgrade, all other phones currently will. What I am wondering is if my provider comes out with a new Curve (in response to the 8900) by mid '09 will it be compatible with the new 4G network. You know...3 year plans and all that.
    12-13-08 12:39 AM
    Due to legal issues they'll have to be backward compatible for years. I know in the states we just had end-of-days on analog towers. Basically meaning they could be taken offline but not that they HAD to.
    12-13-08 01:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD