I am running two weather apps right now, both of which show a live icon to reflect the weather conditions. They are WeatherEye and BerryWeather (trial).

I am sitting in my office looking out of a window and the sun is blinding me, but one of these programs shows an icon picturing clouds and the other shows a full sun. I live in a major metropolitan area so satellites are not an issue.

It's the free software that is giving me the accurate reading and both were updated just to make sure.

There have been a million threads about what weather software is best. BBweather, WeatherEye, WeatherBug, Weatherberry, Yahoo, The Weather Channel, etc.

I guess it depends on what you are looking for. Weatherberry is the slickest application. The graphics are great, you can see a radar map and icon is pretty, but for me in some ways it has too much info and then if the icon picture is off that's troublesome. Granted, I can just look out the window, but still it's a bit disconcerting to look out the window and see with my own eyes that my phone is wrong.

I like WeatherEye most. What I need is a nice icon with the weather showing the current weather without having to click and open the application. BerryWeather has the temperature on the icon itself which is nice. On WeatherEye you need to scroll over the icon to get the temp but no big deal since I have to unlock my phone anyway.

WeatherEye is most easy to use and intuitive. When you open the app, you can get the info you need fast and without an overload. Short term forecast or long term and pictures of each with highs and lows.

I'm only thinking about BerryWeather because WeatherEye has not been working lately and that's a deal breaker.

Just sharing.
    10-19-09 10:14 AM
    I've tried the majority of weather applications and like BerryWeather the best...
    10-19-09 10:17 AM
    I actually just deleted WeatherEye cause lately, it seems like its never connecting. Although, I have used WeatherEye for over a year, and I've never seen it act like it has the last few weeks. I've always found weathereye to be pretty accurate as well.
    10-19-09 10:22 AM
    All weather app get there info from independent or national run monitoring stations. So it depends on what one your app is using. And the UI that you prefer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-09 10:35 AM
    My trial with Berryweather just ended, and I liked that one because of the temp displaying on the icon. Now I am trying out Weathereye (first day), and from what I understood this app also displayed the temp on the icon (that's what everyone said anyway), but actually it doesn't, so I think I might end up purchasing BerryWeather.
    10-19-09 11:56 AM
    Weatherbug direct is my fav so far. It is pretty slick with a clean icon showing current weather but I'd like the whole sun and cloud thing myself I guess ill have try out the others

10-19-09 12:57 PM
    I did a 3 app comparison for a little while with WeatherBug, BerryWeather and BBWeather.

BBWeather was a MESS. Weatherbug was pretty good, but BerryWeather was definitely worth the money.
    10-19-09 12:59 PM
    +1 BerryWeather.
    10-19-09 01:15 PM
    I like BerryWeather also.
    10-19-09 01:19 PM
    My trial with Berryweather just ended, and I liked that one because of the temp displaying on the icon. Now I am trying out Weathereye (first day), and from what I understood this app also displayed the temp on the icon (that's what everyone said anyway), but actually it doesn't, so I think I might end up purchasing BerryWeather.
    That's really the only thing WeatherEye is missing is the temp on the icon, but once you scroll over the icon the temp appears as a footer on the screen. I used WeatherEye for almost a year, but lately it has been down often. My BerryWeather is has a day left and I'm considering it. $10 for weather is a lot though.
    10-19-09 01:20 PM
    That's really the only thing WeatherEye is missing is the temp on the icon, but once you scroll over the icon the temp appears as a footer on the screen. I used WeatherEye for almost a year, but lately it has been down often. My BerryWeather is has a day left and I'm considering it. $10 for weather is a lot though.
    Weather Bug also shows the temp when you scroll onto it, but I'd rather not have to do that. And yes BerryWeather is $10 but it has lots of extra features like radar and multiple cities, along with all the different forecast types (hourly, weekly, etc.)
    10-19-09 01:26 PM
    I've got BerryWeather loaded on my 8330 and I find it to be one of the best. I notice sometimes that the temperature isn't always spot on, but for the most part it's fairly acurate. The UI is by far the best...

As far as the free weather apps, I like BBWeather, because it displays the temperature on the icon, and I find it has an easy to use UI, just may not be as pretty as WeatherEye. The problem with WeatherEye is when I put in my zip code it didn't pull up my location, and even when I typed in where I live it directed me to somewhere in Canada?! I mean, St. Louis isn't some small podunk town in the middle of nowhere you know??

BerryWeather for sure...
    10-19-09 01:30 PM
    I did a 3 app comparison for a little while with WeatherBug, BerryWeather and BBWeather.

BBWeather was a MESS. Weatherbug was pretty good, but BerryWeather was definitely worth the money.
    What kind of issues were you having with BBWeather? I've been using it for almost a month and haven't seen any problems with it yet.
    10-19-09 02:19 PM
    I've got BerryWeather loaded on my 8330 and I find it to be one of the best. I notice sometimes that the temperature isn't always spot on, but for the most part it's fairly acurate. The UI is by far the best...

As far as the free weather apps, I like BBWeather, because it displays the temperature on the icon, and I find it has an easy to use UI, just may not be as pretty as WeatherEye. The problem with WeatherEye is when I put in my zip code it didn't pull up my location, and even when I typed in where I live it directed me to somewhere in Canada?! I mean, St. Louis isn't some small podunk town in the middle of nowhere you know??

BerryWeather for sure...
    What version of BBWeather do you use that shows the temperature with the icon? I only see the icon which pictures the conditions but not an actual temperature reading.
    10-19-09 03:15 PM
    I use WeatherEye & I think it's great. Although it doesn't display the temp over the icon - if you use a theme with a weather slot the temp is displayed on your BB screen. Does the job quite nicely for me. When I travel I set the city to my destination & have never had any problems .

10-19-09 03:41 PM
    I bought BerryWeather and have used it for a couple months.
    Interface is good, looks great.
    BUT, temp is consistantly off by over 8 degrees. Radar map connects when it feels like it. I'm near Detroit so there's no reason any of this should be happening.
    Would I buy it again? NO!

10-19-09 03:55 PM
    I'm not off that much here in DC/MD/VA, but I'm off by about 2-4 degrees each day and as mentioned earlier, the picture icon does not always match the true weather conditions. It's like a pretty car that doesn't drive too well.
    10-19-09 04:10 PM
    I managed to get BerryWeather at least week's Crackberry sale but otherwise, I, too, thought it a bit too pricy.

I don't know about where you live but here where a weather app is probably unnecessary - always cloudy and rainy (pacific northWET), there are definitely different reporting stations, SeaTac, Boeing Field and others and the reports, particularly cloudy/partly, can definitely vary between them.

I like Berryweather since it does not open the browser to get the additional information, although, obviously, it is getting data in some other fashion. For my interests, the radar is important since it affects my outdoor plans.

I liked WeatherBug Free version. I did use Weathereye on my 8830 before.

Most of it is a personal choice.
    10-19-09 07:24 PM
    I use Berryweather and I guess my question is this....Why does it matter if it says clear or partly cloudy skies? Those should be pretty much interchangeable in most areas because there simply is not enough difference to warrant an issue. If the chance for inclement weather exists, it is almost always accurate and the alerts are NEVER off. Temp, yeah well it's gonna change all day anyway so as long as it's ballpark why does it matter unless your experiencing a very large deviation like the 8 suggested?

I use Berryweather, I realize it is a phone app not a weather monitoring station and like has been said, gets info from somewhere else is reported back to their server then pushed to me. I use it for reference, not to plan my life around.

The MAIN reason I even have it is because I KNOW I can rely on the alerts when I am sitting at an 800 MHz. site on top of a mountain working in a building full of electronics. I kinda need to know if there is a possibility of a 250 ft. tower taking a hit by lightning and me sitting in the connected building lol. Yeah it's thoroughly grounded but that still is not a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that could happen while you have your hands inside the racks.
    10-20-09 07:44 AM
    What version of BBWeather do you use that shows the temperature with the icon? I only see the icon which pictures the conditions but not an actual temperature reading.
    BBweather has the ability to show temperature. When you actually go into the application, hit the menu button and go into the options. You should be able to change it.
    10-20-09 01:43 PM
    I use Berryweather and I guess my question is this....Why does it matter if it says clear or partly cloudy skies? Those should be pretty much interchangeable in most areas because there simply is not enough difference to warrant an issue. If the chance for inclement weather exists, it is almost always accurate and the alerts are NEVER off. Temp, yeah well it's gonna change all day anyway so as long as it's ballpark why does it matter unless your experiencing a very large deviation like the 8 suggested?

I use Berryweather, I realize it is a phone app not a weather monitoring station and like has been said, gets info from somewhere else is reported back to their server then pushed to me. I use it for reference, not to plan my life around.

The MAIN reason I even have it is because I KNOW I can rely on the alerts when I am sitting at an 800 MHz. site on top of a mountain working in a building full of electronics. I kinda need to know if there is a possibility of a 250 ft. tower taking a hit by lightning and me sitting in the connected building lol. Yeah it's thoroughly grounded but that still is not a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that could happen while you have your hands inside the racks.
    My weather obsession is not job related; it's golf related. I travel quite a distance to play at times and I play in weather that can also be dangerous. Holding a metal pole in the middle of a fairway during a storm can be dicey. But I like to know the weather in as much detail as possible while traveling to courses, the night before, the week before even forecasts while playing to see if the weather will hold up. Accuracy is pretty important.

Weatherberry is reporting mostly cloudy right now and it's completely clear and sunny. Just strange. I only have one day left on my trial agreement.
    10-20-09 01:54 PM
    BBweather has the ability to show temperature. When you actually go into the application, hit the menu button and go into the options. You should be able to change it.
    There are a couple different versions, including an alpha, release of BBweather. Different programmers have modified the application. I found a version that DOES include the temperature here: BBWeather

The problem is the temperature is directly on top of the weather icon and is almost as large as the icon itself. Not the nicest presentation, but hey it's free.

I heard there's a version with GPS so you don't have to enter a zip code. What version do you use?

UPDATE: As of right now it's 69 and sunny in my location. I know this for a fact, yet berryweather says it's 67 and mostly cloudy. bb weather says 68 and partly cloudy. Weathereye is 100% accurate and reflects the weather conditions listed on the weather channel which is very reliable.
    Last edited by paperchase; 10-20-09 at 03:57 PM.
    10-20-09 02:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD