they lacked the assets, human capital, technology, and know how to compete with android and ios as the wireless business changed. so they had to buy all of that expertise. they had zero in house. that is defensive.
    Every company plateaues and limits a certain resource capacity in their evolution! However...when you make bold statements that they lack vision and strategy..you should have an arguement to back that up, as well as facts to prove that! RIM was well aware that they would face competition from computeing giants entering the mobile landscape quite prior to 2007 Iphone...to what extent that was at the time remained to be seen as well as how the market would react.

Acting on a prudent stance(carefuly observing the new landscape) , and a vision of their take on mobile computing/communications going forward...they continued to develop and deliver a industry leading product and solution.

Under wise guidance they were able to obtain assets which would allow them to, "adapt,overcome and compromise" in the competitive landscape!

Do you honestly believe they were trually caught with their pants down, as media and market analysts would like you to believe? Absolutely NOT!

There is no way a company lacking internally as suspected late 2009-2010.....entering mid 2011 now! and on the verge of offering comparable tech specs(And offering on par tech 6.1) and a product in the PB that is already poised to transcend the competitive landscape(as voiced by leading enterprise devs) imanently leading mid 2012 .

Now is it realisticaly possible for a company who lacks vision and strategy....to have the ability to adapt and change so rapidly if they didn't have the competitive threats on the radar in say 2005!

RIM was fully aware that Apple and Google would enter the landscape! It was very wise on their part to be patient as to see how the market would embrace the new wave...

At present RIM is aware of what the competitions offerings are at present moving onward....with that they are very rapidly adapting, and laying a foundation that will leave them many steps ahead of the competition in the coming decade! For those of us who are watching their strategic manuveurs in many instances they are cornering the market! That may be over the top...however it could also be tough to comprhend...

No Company on earth has the ability to lag as far beyond as they may be percived to be, and ultimately lead in two years time! Not to mention they are a very large multi-national company!

Saying they lack vision or strategy is just absurd!!!!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 03-21-11 at 09:16 PM.
    03-21-11 08:51 PM
    Just to get an idea of how highly QNX is held in the sights of industry leaders and to the extent they are esteemed...I thought I'd post this link...

30th Anniversary Quotes

03-23-11 03:00 PM
    I really hope for the sake of all the true believers here who pay attention to you that you know more about rimm the company than rimm the stock. apple stock outperformed rimm stock in 2010 by a "country mile". rimm acquisitions have all been defensive in nature, shoring up areas where rimm did not have a strategy in place.
    From a purely business stand point, I don't see any merit in your argument. In essence you are saying that if a company cannot innovate internally and acquire to overcome their shortcomings or to box in a competitor then the said company is on its way out.
    If that were true then Microsoft should have been dead long time back starting from the whole Frontpage thing.
    And Apple was dead before Steve Jobs was brought back in again along with the skill set he acquired in making NeXT computers (which apple acquired in 1996). It was the OS NeXT developed which went on to bring up the Mac OS.
    What you seem to be missing is that RIM in acquiring QNX have not only got a substantial skill set but have also locked out other competitors from using QNX for their own advancement.
    Or TAT for that matter. This is a company which specializes in UI for various device and have worked with many other products (android is amongst that) to bring in a "wow" factor to the UI of those products.
    The website of TAT now says that they are exclusively designing and working to create UI for the Blackberry Ecosystem.
    Again RIM has not only acquired the skill set, but have locked out their competitors from using TAT skill to up their game.
    RIM's acquisitions are centered on their core products expansion and betterment and locking out their competitors. Not like say Chrysler going out and buying textile companies in Africa.
    Lack of strategy you say?? He!! this has strategy written all over it.
    Every company cannot do everything and do it the best. Not even Apple. Where would Apple be without Microsoft Office?? How many people really use iWorks and then are able to exchange their files with other users. Fact is Apple would be dead without the Microsoft Office Suite for Mac.
    Last edited by sam_b77; 03-23-11 at 04:01 PM.
    03-23-11 03:34 PM
    post announcement, RIMM is down ~10% in after-hours trading
    03-24-11 03:50 PM
    post announcement, RIMM is down ~10% in after-hours trading
    Yup, here's what BGR had to say about it RIM reports Q4 earnings; revenue misses estimates despite record shipments | BGR
    03-24-11 04:09 PM
    RIM beat the EPS estimates and met earnings estimates but fell short on device shipments. That's what seems have pushed the sock down.
    03-24-11 04:20 PM
    Looks like RIM is still in the BLACK and while the expected profit for the next quarter is lower... they are still making plenty of CASH.

That said... Smartphone once meant a BlackBerry, for many people I don't believe that is true anymore. RIM has gotten lost in all the mix as "a great email and messaging tool, but if you want to do other things you'll need an Android or Apple phone."

Looks like we are going to have to wait at least a year or so to see a QNX Powered BlackBerry, and to see RIM change anyone's mind about them.
    03-24-11 04:32 PM
    Early calendar 2012 for QNX super phones.
    03-24-11 04:33 PM
    that is a slap in the face for the new phones being released in the fall kinda, assuming no QNX for those phones. Not that this wasnt expected. 12% drop is pretty steep to look at too. we will see what happens tomorrow
    03-24-11 04:43 PM
    that is a slap in the face for the new phones being released in the fall kinda, assuming no QNX for those phones. Not that this wasnt expected. 12% drop is pretty steep to look at too. we will see what happens tomorrow
    Yeah 12% is a pretty steep fall!

Lower guidance are also due to following facts-->
    1. higher marketing costs due to PlayBook Launch
    2. supply chain disruption due to Japan quake/tsunami.

But market pretty much see lower guidance as the final proof that RIM is a company which is on the way down. Yeah, have to see how it will be in the market tomorrow.
    03-24-11 04:50 PM
    I think they are all OS 6 BB and no QNX. I think if RIM released a QNX device by early next year they should bounce back up very fast.

I do hope that the Playbook is a succeses since it will help pave the way for the adaptation of other QNX devices.
    03-24-11 04:54 PM
    Don't forget....RIM went through a massive share buy back, and with that they may/have kept certain long term plans very quiet...inorder to keep share price at the lower end of the spectrum...when they are ready they will hammer out some really intense future prospects!

This company is a sleeping giant!

03-24-11 05:11 PM
    Yeah 12% is a pretty steep fall!

Lower guidance are also due to following facts-->
    1. higher marketing costs due to PlayBook Launch
    2. supply chain disruption due to Japan quake/tsunami.

But market pretty much see lower guidance as the final proof that RIM is a company which is on the way down. Yeah, have to see how it will be in the market tomorrow.
    actually the market does not believe rimm anymore. rimm management has lost credibility. rimm forecasted higher earnings for this coming year yet the market took the stock down 12%. that is a lack of believability.
    03-24-11 05:13 PM
    I think they are all OS 6 BB and no QNX. I think if RIM released a QNX device by early next year they should bounce back up very fast.

I do hope that the Playbook is a succeses since it will help pave the way for the adaptation of other QNX devices.
    I still think 6.1 has a little QNX love in it.
    03-24-11 05:14 PM
    Don't forget....RIM went through a massive share buy back, and with that they may/have kept certain long term plans very quiet...inorder to keep share price at the lower end of the spectrum...when they are ready they will hammer out some really intense future prospects!

the sleeping giant lost 12% of it's value in about an hour.
    03-24-11 05:14 PM
    Are you their new CB cheerleader?
    03-24-11 05:19 PM
    Right in after hours. That's after it had already climbed 3%. Not to mention all the buyers that might drive the stock value up higher tomorrow.
    03-24-11 05:20 PM
    This is your home work! Research after hour losses after Apple, Google, and Microsoft have released quarterly reports over the past decade...

Apple was down in after hour trading 2 quarters ago after it missed ipad targets.....

Like I have mentioned to you in prior posts...please put your comments into perspective
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 03-24-11 at 05:26 PM.
    03-24-11 05:21 PM
    Right in after hours. That's after it had already climbed 3%. Not to mention all the buyers that might drive the stock value up higher tomorrow.
    ok. let's wait till tomorrow.
    03-24-11 05:25 PM
    This is your home work! Research after hour losses after Apple, Google, and Microsoft have released quarterly reports over the past decade...

are you trying to tell me that rimm dropping 12% is good news? I know you are the master of understatement.
    03-24-11 05:26 PM
    are you trying to tell me that rimm dropping 12% is good news? I know you are the master of understatement.
    It is for me!lol....I'd like to get in now! Save your comment...I'm sure I already know what it will be!

As far as my sleeping giant comment....they are in the "sleeping" phase...restructuring, very heavily investing, and transitioning to a new platform and product lines.....PB's just a drop in the hat...just wait for other product announcements away from hh's and tabs!

Last edited by missing_K-W; 03-24-11 at 05:42 PM.
    03-24-11 05:36 PM
    With the Playbook launching in weeks and Blackberry World in May, their outlook looks great to me. There have been no major product releases since last year, these past few months have had lotsa r&d invested in the future, and the tsunami may have slightly affected the development of the Playbook. I see them only going up from here.
    03-24-11 05:41 PM
    actually the market does not believe rimm anymore. rimm management has lost credibility. rimm forecasted higher earnings for this coming year yet the market took the stock down 12%. that is a lack of believability.
    yet people still believe apple!! what a farce!! wheres this OPENSOURCE facetime then!! yea, exactly, steve hasnt looked at what opensource means yet lol

edit: and wheres my white iPhone4??
    03-24-11 06:19 PM
    03-24-11 08:18 PM
    There is a huge negative sentiment in the market for RIM. So, even if something good comes out the bad sides of it gets highlighted.
    RIM actually beat market estimation of profits but missed sales target --> Headlines: RIM misses sales target
    RIM gave a lower guidance for Q1 FY12 due to higher costs for launching tablets & gave a significantly higher guidance than market estimation for FY12 --> Headlines: RIM cuts down next quarter guidance

Headlines would have been other way round if it was the darling of media/investment community Apple announcing the results.

For me there were lot of positive news-->
    i. higher FY12 guidance
    ii. management shows very high confidence in PlayBook
    iii. PlayBook will support 200,000+ android apps on it's own platform.
    iv. Lower guidance for next quarter due to PlayBook launch: I see this as a positive. RIM is investing heavily in marketing this great product is a huge positive for this stock in my opinion. They are going all out selling this great product!

For me RIMM stocks below $60 is a steal and this is the best possible buying opportunity. I will be picking more stocks at these prices.
    03-24-11 11:44 PM
91 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD