Blackberry screwed up by busting their OS10 budget on the USA Superbore instead of marketing what is, not only my opinion, the best OS ever produced. It could have been a winner because of the Hub and Swipe (no Home button) features, not to mention the ability to have up to 4 windows open at the same time to dive in and out of. I cannot imagine living without these but if if BB discontinue the OS10 system where do I go? My first port of call will be the Wileyfox Swift which has a great spec, outstripping Samsung and Apple for �129 in the UK, a FIFTH of the price of the "top" Android and IPHONE devices without the bloated quantity of apps. Meantime I shall continue with my fantastic Z30 but I shall not forgive BlackBerry for its shocking., self destructing lack of promotion of the unparalleled OS10 system

Posted via CB10
    03-21-16 05:54 PM
    Blackberry screwed up by busting their OS10 budget on the USA Superbore instead of marketing what is, not only my opinion, the best OS ever produced. It could have been a winner because of the Hub and Swipe (no Home button) features, not to mention the ability to have up to 4 windows open at the same time to dive in and out of. I cannot imagine living without these but if if BB discontinue the OS10 system where do I go? My first port of call will be the Wileyfox Swift which has a great spec, outstripping Samsung and Apple for �129 in the UK, a FIFTH of the price of the "top" Android and IPHONE devices without the bloated quantity of apps. Meantime I shall continue with my fantastic Z30 but I shall not forgive BlackBerry for its shocking., self destructing lack of promotion of the unparalleled OS10 system

Posted via CB10
    I'd suggest being patient for the G5 if the Priv isn't for you. The new G looks like a game-changer.
    03-21-16 06:49 PM
    PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    03-21-16 06:56 PM
    I'd suggest being patient for the G5 if the Priv isn't for you. The new G looks like a game-changer.
    The Pontiac G5 has been out of production for a while. So has Pontiac. Patience is a virtue, but this is ridiculous.

With the nauseating sea of glass slabness out there, I don't know if it is possible to have a 'game changer', especially one named after a low end Pontiac.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-16 08:04 PM
    If the physical keyboard was more accurate and faster for most then it wouldn't be dying on the vine like it is. People don't want them because they type better on a vkb, whether or not BB users want to believe that or not.

Wait which is it. iPhone users think they are elite or no one cares about someone else owning an Apple product any more. If everyone has one then does everyone think they are elite??? Your comments fascinate me because they go in whatever direction you think is going to make your statements sound better even if they make no sense.
    Then why are so many physical keyboards sold for ipads and tablets?
    If you do real work on your phone and type documents, read and correct scientific papers and theses, like I do on my Passport, then you will realize that you need a keyboard like the Passport's.

If all you do is surf the Web and type a tweet or a short text, then, yes, you can live with the vkb.

I for one find my Passport much more efficient and useful at typing papers and emails, or correcting pdf files, than a tablet and even than my macbook 12 inch.

But I admit, few people use their smartphone like a laptop or computer. Tha's what apple counted on.
    03-21-16 09:11 PM
    If you do real work on your phone and type documents, read and correct scientific papers and theses, like I do on my Passport, then you will realize that you need a keyboard like the Passport's.

If all you do is surf the Web and type a tweet or a short text, then, yes, you can live with the vkb.

I for one find my Passport much more efficient and useful at typing papers and emails, or correcting pdf files, than a tablet and even than my macbook 12 inch.

But I admit, few people use their smartphone like a laptop or computer. Tha's what apple counted on.
    Because it's a completely different form factor that's why.

And BS. People can do real work on a VKB with great ease. Be careful, you are slighting all of the Z owners out there and claiming they aren't working on their phones because they don't have a pkb. Just because you can't doesn't mean others can't. I am 1000 times faster on a vkb and more accurate than a pkb.

And that's great that you find your Passport more useful than a computer. I don't so does that make you right? Nope, it's that you just prefer it that way. I've owned a Passport since day one and it doesn't come close to replacing a computer for me. Not even close. I'm also infinitely faster and more accurate on any touchscreen phone over the Passport.
    Last edited by donnation; 03-21-16 at 09:38 PM.
    tufcustomer likes this.
    03-21-16 09:19 PM
    Often, When ppl say they "hate' Apple or Android, they aren't talking about the technology but the company behind it.

'I hate android' == I don't trust Google with my data.
    'I hate Apple' == don't like walled garden and 'all our users are idiots' attitude of the company or its tendency to snub standards and 'throw its weight around'.

Posted via CB10
    Right on point.

ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.2.858
    03-21-16 09:37 PM
    Because it's a completely different form factor that's why.

And BS. People can do real work on a VKB with great ease. Be careful, you are slighting all of the Z owners out there and claiming they aren't working on their phones because they don't have a pkb. Just because you can't doesn't mean others can't. I am 1000 times faster on a vkb and more accurate than a pkb.

And that's great that you find your Passport more useful than a computer. I don't so does that make you right? Nope, it's that you just prefer it that way. I've owned a Passport since day one and it doesn't come close to replacing a computer for me. Not even close. I'm also infinitely faster and more accurate on any touchscreen phone over the Passport.
    I have used a z10 and z30 from February 2013 till October 2014 when I got my Passport. I thought I would never go back to a phone with physical keyboard. I got the Passport just out of curiosity. I still have my z30 but I never use it.
    The passport keyboard is out of this world and since I got my Passport I hardly use my laptop, except for remotely logging in into my Linux workstation. Typing speed is not the main reason, but I am faster on my passport at typing than on my laptop.

Yes, I am not afraid to say that for an engineer, emails are not real work, only a means of communicating. Real work is design and creating content in the form of design documentation, papers, presentations, etc.
    03-21-16 09:50 PM
    I have used a z10 and z30 from February 2013 till October 2014 when I got my Passport. I thought I would never go back to a phone with physical keyboard. I got the Passport just out of curiosity. I still have my z30 but I never use it.
    The passport keyboard is out of this world and since I got my Passport I hardly use my laptop, except for remotely logging in into my Linux workstation. Typing speed is not the main reason, but I am faster on my passport at typing than on my laptop.

Yes, I am not afraid to say that for an engineer, emails are not real work, only a means of communicating. Real work is design and creating content in the form of design documentation, papers, presentations, etc.
    Then I guess you took off work from Feb 2013 through Oct 2014 according to your logic.

And the real work you described isn't a feature owned by the Passport or any pkb phone no matter how much you want to believe it. In fact I'd argue that it's less so on the Passport because it's stuck with docs to go which is a poor comparison to the Microsoft suite for Android and iOS.
    03-21-16 09:55 PM
    No. I just did not travel as much at that time. I worked on my office computer.
    Now I am travelling for a year and cannot be in my office. So I work on my phone a lot more than I did then.
    Besides, I could not do the work I do on my Passport now on z30.
    It is too inefficient to type 20-30 page long scientific papers on a Z30.
    03-21-16 10:12 PM
    Then I guess you took off work from Feb 2013 through Oct 2014 according to your logic.

And the real work you described isn't a feature owned by the Passport or any pkb phone no matter how much you want to believe it. In fact I'd argue that it's less so on the Passport because it's stuck with docs to go which is a poor comparison to the Microsoft suite for Android and iOS.
    But you don't have a keyboard on android, except for Priv, and I don't use microsoft at work either.
    It's the keyboard and the square formfactor that makes the passport ideal for typing papers and emails and the native secure file manager is a must. Not available on android.
    03-21-16 10:14 PM
    Well I am faster on a vkb but I'm also more accurate on a pkb without needing autocorrect like I do with a vkb. That's just based on my short time with a priv. I'm faster on a BlackBerry vkb that is. I never used an android vkb that I liked with exception of swiftkey and it still wasn't as good as bb10. I don't do much as far as work on my phone unless it's to check a medical reference on the fly. So no I wouldn't write a paper on my priv or any phone if I had a pc available but if I had to I'd use the pkb for sure

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    03-21-16 10:17 PM
    Now I am travelling for a year and cannot be in my office. So I work on my phone a lot more than I did then.
    I get it. So because you think a a pkb is superior then it is superior for everyone. And since you get work done on your Passport then no one else can possibly get work done on any touchscreen phone. Sorry but I don't agree and we can leave it at that.
    Jerry A and tufcustomer like this.
    03-21-16 10:40 PM
    I get it. So because you think a a pkb is superior then it is superior for everyone. And since you get work done on your Passport then no one else can possibly get work done on any touchscreen phone. Sorry but I don't agree and we can leave it at that.
    You don't get it. I wrote that few people use their phone as laptop, like I do.
    So, I think I am a rare case, and that's the way I like it. That's why I only use Linux and bb10. Stopped using Windows in mid 2000's for this reason:

"Consumers gave up this when they allowed Microsoft to push automatic Windows updates..."

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...ryption-battle
    03-22-16 12:04 AM
    You will never convince me that is why BB10 has failed. Ask the average consumer what they know about BB10. People arent even aware that there is an app deficiency no less the fact that the devices even exist. Apps may have caused some of the migration away from Blackberry but even to that point I believe the stagnant phone design and failure to supply the device the primary consumer wants is the leading cause of the loss of users.
    Ah, I think I see the confusion here. Your definition of "consumer" and the general smartphone shopper aren't the same.

Instead of asking the general consumer what they know about BB10 why not ask them what they want and expect from a smartphone?

No Instagram? No Spotify? No Google or Apple apps? Etc, etc etc...

They won't care what makes BB10 special. If it can't meet their basic expectations it's not going to be on their radar.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    03-22-16 12:12 AM

Uhm, I do real work and I prefer vkb. Most of my day and work happens on my phone. Which I use as a replacement for a computer.

Please don't assume that your way is the only way or even the correct way to do things.
    03-22-16 12:19 AM
    As I wrote, few people are like me.
    I was merely pointing out that, no matter how fast you are on a vkb, it's not efficient to type a 20-30 page long scientific paper on a vkb, and that even vkb enthusiasts use a physical keyboard on their laptop, and some on their tablet, to do this type of work.
    There are many types of work. Mine is mostly that of a design engineer, and vkb would not cut it for work.
    Last edited by sorinv; 03-22-16 at 12:57 AM.
    03-22-16 12:22 AM
    There's an easy parallel there: iPhone users think they are elite while non iPhone users don't care. I'm baffled as to how you struggle to make sense of that.
    I know plenty of iPhone users. The only time I hear them referred to as "elite" is around here.

Methinks folks around here enjoy disparaging others just to make themselves feel better and validate their smartphone lifestyle.
    donnation and TgeekB like this.
    03-22-16 12:24 AM
    You don't get it. I wrote that few people use their phone as laptop, like I do.
    So, I think I am a rare case, and that's the way I like it. That's why I only use Linux and bb10. Stopped using Windows in mid 2000's for this reason:
    It's not about the way you like it. It's about throwing around your perceived superiority because of how you choose to work and failing to grasp that others can and do accomplish as much in a different manner.

"Consumers gave up this when they allowed Microsoft to push automatic Windows updates..."

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...ryption-battle
    What does this even have to do with the topic at hand (vkb v. pkb)?
    03-22-16 12:28 AM
    Was trying to help a friend with email (Exchange) using the Outlook mail app on his Android phone.

Simple things like getting messages filed in folders to show in the main mail list was a pain. For some reason, responding to meeting invites and adding the event to the calendar was impossible.

Digging around settings and options to figure out why things weren't working properly was quite frustrating.

I've complained bitterly about Android's UI before, but there's something I just can't explain that I find interferes with usability. There's too much junk on the screen that ends up as visual clutter and detracts from efficient navigation. It's hard to explain this to Androidites because they've likely never experienced the benefits of something like BB10.

By comparison, BB10 is beautifully uncomplicated and uncluttered.
    03-22-16 12:30 AM
    Double post
    03-22-16 12:31 AM
    It's not about the way you like it. It's about throwing around your perceived superiority because of how you choose to work and failing to grasp that others can and do accomplish as much in a different manner.

What does this even have to do with the topic at hand (vkb v. pkb)?
    It relates to what I wrote before that quote, but you removed that part.
    You may want to read the whole article to find out why I only use BB10 and Linux, and not android, or IoS or windows. So, yes, it is related to the thread.
    03-22-16 12:32 AM
    It relates to what I wrote before that quote, but you removed that part.
    You may want to read the whole article to find out why I only use BB10 and Linux, and not android, or IoS or windows. So, yes, it is related to the thread.
    Didn't remove it - quote function only goes one deep.

Regardless, don't get too excited. BlackBerry has gone on record that they will assist with law enforcement requests and requirements. Even for governments to which they originally declined assistance (Saudi Arabia, India and Pakistan).

But that really is a different topic for a different thread.
    03-22-16 01:32 AM
    Don't worry. I am not excited. Don't trust BlackBerry with government either.
    It's the rest I can defend from by being less visible on the most obscure OS-es.
    03-22-16 01:50 AM
    Hope you're traveling to some nice places. Do you enjoy traveling that much or do you find it tiresome?
    03-22-16 06:47 AM
121 ... 2345