For years, many people have been saying that BlackBerry needs to cut down on its available devices. They only need 4 devices on the market at a time (an argument for a 5th could be made for a slider). BlackBerry only needs to have a high end touch only phone, a high end qwerty phone, and a low end version of each.

Currently they have the Q5 and Z10 for the low end (even though the Z10 is the best low end device I have ever seen!), and the Q10 and Z30 as their high end devices. This strategy allows the company to cut down on employees and save money as well as speed up development and bug fixes because they only need to work on 4 versions of the OS (really only 2 for most aspects of it) at a time , which should speed up the release of updates.

Posted via CB10
    larsonage likes this.
    09-26-13 10:19 AM
    I'm all in for less devices. I've always been.
    But they really messed the naming big time.

The Q10 is the high end right? And the Q5 the low end.
    So the Z10 is the high end and the Z5 the low end? No? What? The Z30 is the high end and the Z10 the low end! Shoot...

I still paid 700~ USD for my low end device.

C0001BBF0 - BlackBerry 10 help channel.
    09-26-13 10:29 AM
    The Z10 is not a low end device. They're basically taking a loss, selling it at a discount in order to get it out the door. Think of it how Apple always sold the previous version of the iPhone at a discount, a year later. Only here, it's being done much sooner because the company is run by idiots.
    09-26-13 10:35 AM
    Apple got by fine just having one device, but keeping previous years devices in the mix at reduced prices. But even they have seen the need for a little marketing magic and poof you have "new" devices at reduced prices to go along with their flagship device.

I think that four devices could cover most of the bases for BB, the problem was BB10 won't run on what is consider "entry level" hardware. So the Q5 really missed the pricing mark, and the Z10 is having to be sold at a loss to "fit" into the market where most consumers are buying. Either no one at BB understand the market, or no one was talking to one another.

Sometimes the guy that hears voices telling him to build a baseball field in the middle of nowhere.... needs a good doctor, not encouragement.
    fanisk likes this.
    09-26-13 10:39 AM
    they can have as many form factors to cater to different segments and niches, ala Samsung. But I suspect they're right now just playing respond to the market.

But I think it is only fair to assume they'll make that many models if they can market the basic 2 models correctly, a full touch model and a qwerty model. The Curve line up, at this point, should only be considered for aesthethics, without sacrificing the internal hardware specs. The Q5 itself is a good proposition, but the value is heavily challenged due to it being unable to be marketted for a supposedly low end device. (dual core 1.2ghz with 3G capability with 2GB isn't exactly low end, but still... the prices for that can buy some pretty good mid end android devices with better specs, not necessarily better user experience)
    09-26-13 10:39 AM
    4 devises so long as they were unique devises to me makes a lot of sense. I would have two qwerty phones an all touch and a slider as the flagship.

Realistically the slider and the touch phone could have the same screen but the slider would be the best of everything.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 12:59 PM