In a interview by someone at RIM it was stated the first QNX would most likely be touchscreen.
    yuuuccckkk......RIM needs to release a qwerty qnx device also....
    06-28-11 03:13 PM
    I love my QWERTY keyboard though and I think their touch screens with a keyboard should be RIM`s new trademark!

I will not buy a full touchscreen phone especially not from RIM.
    06-28-11 03:16 PM
    I have one!
    Wait, you meant Blackberry didn't you?
    06-28-11 05:00 PM
    yuuuccckkk......RIM needs to release a qwerty qnx device also....
    I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon.
    06-28-11 05:14 PM
    I
    I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon.
    I don't think any QNX devices are coming soon. For Pete's sake they haven't even gotten BB7 Devices out yet. I think you are looking at Q1 or Q2 2012 at best.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-11 05:17 PM
    So now RIM is copying Apple by making a keyboard less device and everybody is happy.
    Where are the RIM followers,whom will never buy a keyboard less phone, touchscreen are jokes, 4.3inch is just too big for me, battery life is my top priority(4.3inch device battery will be bad in comparison to 2.4inch device),etc.

I think both the set of supporters are alike that the reason Apple and Blackberry users hate each other( Opposite attract and Similar repel).
    Both group of supporters will buy anything till it has a RIM or Apple logo behind it.
    ummm you do realize that RIM already has phones with no keyboards right?
    06-28-11 08:28 PM
    So now RIM is copying Apple by making a keyboard less device and everybody is happy.
    Where are the RIM followers,whom will never buy a keyboard less phone, touchscreen are jokes, 4.3inch is just too big for me, battery life is my top priority(4.3inch device battery will be bad in comparison to 2.4inch device),etc.

I think both the set of supporters are alike that the reason Apple and Blackberry users hate each other( Opposite attract and Similar repel).
    Both group of supporters will buy anything till it has a RIM or Apple logo behind it.
    LOL! Right here! The more I hear about this QNX superphone, the more I'm not interested in it. I like what the current BlackBerry gives me, which is why I like BlackBerry. If I wanted a phone that 'does it all', I'd already have gotten myself an Atrix. The fact that BlackBerry will soon be offering one of those doesn't change what I need or want in a phone.

06-29-11 08:33 AM
    It sounds like the real superphone. From what I understand the first QNX device will be touchscreen only and will have to be on the larger side of devices to port the OS over to it. Sounds like my kind of phone. Guess we'll find out closer to next year.
    06-29-11 12:20 PM
    LOL! Right here! The more I hear about this QNX superphone, the more I'm not interested in it. I like what the current BlackBerry gives me, which is why I like BlackBerry. If I wanted a phone that 'does it all', I'd already have gotten myself an Atrix. The fact that BlackBerry will soon be offering one of those doesn't change what I need or want in a phone.

I have to admit that if the QNX phone is a 4.3" slab, I would be unlikely to buy it. An iPhone would be more attractive to me.
    06-29-11 02:42 PM
    To me this phone will be similar to the torch. A disappointing attempt to immitate what a "modern" phone should be like. And if it's not dual core I will laugh continuously for possibly an hour considering how they went on and on about that.

Also I (and many others I'm sure) draw the line at 4 inches (even that is a tiny bit pushing it), don't know why they'd alienate a lot of people with a huge device just to appease tech blogger fetishes or something. Anyway I'm in the camp that was looking forward to this, but now can safely say I totally am not.
    06-29-11 03:00 PM
    4.3" is too big for a phone IMO. I have used my buddies Droid X and was reminded quickly of the Boombox's up to your ear while walking the street jamming!

No thanks, looked funny then and those huge phones IMO look funny now while talking on them.

3.7 is pushing it. I personally like the size of the Incredible series. They got it right with those phones.

Hoping they have a Bold type QNX phone. Rather 1st, 2nd is no matter to me, as long as it is out shortly after. If not and they abandon their physical keyboard line, then I am out....

Would love the 9900 style with QNX. Perfect!

Honestly could care less if it is dual core or single. I know plenty of single cores that are just as fast and manage battery life a lot better. Thanks, but no thanks.

I have a 4 cylinder and I pass up plenty of v8's....

06-29-11 03:22 PM
    Honestly could care less if it is dual core or single. I know plenty of single cores that are just as fast and manage battery life a lot better. Thanks, but no thanks.

I have a 4 cylinder and I pass up plenty of v8's....

Once again, it's about developers. You must offer them the best tools available to be able to make the best things possible. If a developer makes a great game that takes advantage of the iPhone 5's great cpu and gpu, he pretty much won't be able to port it over without hindering performance in some way, that's why it's important for all companies to keep the latest specs in mind.

Now I don't mean the LATEST latest, I just mean the latest standard. And lets be real, by 2012 the standard will undeniably be dual core with a great GPU.

Another reason why it's important is because if they don't do it, they basically lied to everyone and will be admitting it. We already know they were BSing about their whole dual core shtick being needed for QNX but not putting it would basically be admitting it.
    06-29-11 04:54 PM
    Well I guess it's a start
    06-29-11 04:56 PM
    Just thought of this. Someone could be misreading the 4.3 aspect ratio as the screen size.
    06-29-11 08:20 PM
    I don't see why RIM can't get the QNX OS to run with a qwerty keyboard, yes it will take them longer is why FIRST phone with it will be touch.
    06-29-11 08:38 PM
    There is no way that BlackBerry will drop the....well.....BlackBerry form.

The first QNX device may be a slab but that will be to entice users that have gone to that form from BlackBerry back.

To expect them not to show up with a straight up QWERTY QNX device after is not living in the real world.

How long after I have no idea but it will happen.

I would gladly embrace both forms and have every intention of doing so.
    06-29-11 11:45 PM
    Don't forget Rim needs to get a 4G LTE to the market all the carriers are rolling it out now. My carrier said they would have 4G in my area by Nov & if they do it will be hard to say with Blackberry with Rim not even talking about 4G.

06-30-11 12:04 AM
    RIM Won't, and probably shouldn't go to LTE until the 2nd Gen modems are available. The current LTE is large, and drains battery very fast. Apple is staying away from it as well.

2nd gen modems are in testing now. Maybe 2012 we start seeing better LTE efficiency. The speed is incredible, just costly.
    06-30-11 04:59 AM
    There is no way that BlackBerry will drop the....well.....BlackBerry form.

The first QNX device may be a slab but that will be to entice users that have gone to that form from BlackBerry back.
    It won't just be about enticing users back, it will also be quite a bit simpler to shrink down the qnx ui onto a 4.3" screen running a similar resolution to the existing playbook than it will be to move right down to the more classic blackberry designs right from the outset.
    06-30-11 11:49 AM
    Would love a 4.3 screen.
    j'adore them
    07-01-11 08:11 AM
    The 4.3" rumor makes sense. IIRC, US consumers are increasingly moving to larger-screened phones as they surf the web, watch more movies, etc. For once RIM seems to be trying to intersect that demand curve instead of trailing it. There are also other reasons why that form fact makes sense: it's easier to modify the new UI to fit on a larger screen, it's more media and web-friendly, etc. I'm curious if the aspect ratio of this rumored screen matches that of the PlayBook.

I think that the BB9900 is the last of the candy-bar BlackBerries (and if it isn't, it should be). What people do on their phones has changed, and the BlackBerry form factor hasn't kept up. The screen is too small for enjoyable media/web-browsing (which is the market RIM is trying to target now) and the keyboard is probably a liability in markets like China, which use a stroke-based character set.
    07-01-11 08:35 AM
    I think that the BB9900 is the last of the candy-bar BlackBerries (and if it isn't, it should be). What people do on their phones has changed, and the BlackBerry form factor hasn't kept up. The screen is too small for enjoyable media/web-browsing (which is the market RIM is trying to target now) and the keyboard is probably a liability in markets like China, which use a stroke-based character set.
    The "candy-bar" form factor is what keeps me using Blackberries. If RIM stops selling phones with that form factor, I don't think I will be the only person who stops buying Blackberries. If my priority was media and web browsing I would buy an iPhone.
    07-01-11 12:18 PM
    Abandoning an important segment of their audience to only make a me-too large screen touch-only devices would be idiotic, Rim need to be producing a number of form factors so that they can cater to those people who actually want to use their phone as a communication tool and those who want a pmp that does calls.

Incidentally, there are plenty of input systems for China that actually work really well on a qwerty keypad.
    07-02-11 06:59 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD