When will RIM be releasing a new 3G/3.5G/UMTS BlackBerry device?

Down here in Australia, we briefly had a 3G/UMTS BlackBerry device in the past (I think it was part of the 8800 series...), though that has since been replaced by the BlackBerry Curve which is just starting to appear in shops...

I am told that the reason there are no 3G/3.5G/UMTS BlackBerry devices available in Australia at the moment, and the reason that no new 3G/3.5G/UMTS models have been released to date, is because of “technical issues“ with the way in which the BlackBerry system works and with 3G/3.5G/UMTS networks; I am also told that on the previous model, 3G/UMTS was somewhat pointless because it was only for modem use - Internet browsing and e-mail use were done over the 2.5G/GPRS network.

As I currently use a 3.5G/UMTS device and do most of my Internet browsing/e-mail wirelessly, to go back to a 2.5G/GPRS device would be agonizing...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-08 07:38 PM
    3AU just recently added BB8707g to its store.. I think it is the only BB that is capable of UMTS..

I wish it was a Curve or Pearl..
    03-12-08 12:05 AM
    How does cdma rev A compare to umts. Aside from the speed difference, does anything else differ?

I would love to see a day where you could purchase any phone and change carriers whenever you could get a better deal on month by month basis.

03-16-08 03:56 PM
    How does cdma rev A compare to umts. Aside from the speed difference, does anything else differ?

I would love to see a day where you could purchase any phone and change carriers whenever you could get a better deal on month by month basis.

They are different technologies and run on different frequencies also.
    03-17-08 10:36 AM
    Old old news - but just to make sure this thread is updated - the Blackberry Bold / 9000 is UMTS enabled (meaning it is the second blackberry after the 8707 to work in Japan).
    10-07-08 06:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD