I'm planning to switch from curve 8520 to a bold phone since browsing on my current phone is pretty slow and they say a 3g phone's browsing is much faster. Is that only applicable when you have a data plan or?
    08-25-13 02:17 AM
    The quality* (*way and speed of data-transfer) of the net represents the historical progress of mobile communications... It began with AMPS (analog) in the USA (N-AMPS and D-AMPS follows)... This generation was named 1G.... This net was able to transfer telefoncalls.

(In Germany it began with the A-net, B-net and C-net. But it wasnt useable in hole europe. The C-net ended Dec. 2000. The D-net is now in use...)

Than a worldwide standard was introduced: DECT and GSM... This standard is known as 1G. In the USA the PCS1900 was the pendant to GSM.

Than the next step follows- GSPR and HSCSD.

From here the next generation was created- known as EDGE or 2G.

This 2G was the beginning of UMTS (3G)

The LTE-net is known as 4G.

To answer your question: the different quality of the net-standards (beginning with 1G and ending in the current 4G) are just established in few aspects: worldwide availability, frequencies (number and range), mode of transmission, signaling speed) OF COURSE only a VERY simplified description!!! But there�s no differents in using the standards! You just need a device which is able to support/perform the "better" standard (in your case 2G to 3G). Imagine this: 2G is a truck which transports big packages slow to your device- you can here that in a near radio or TV when you get an sms or alike: it sounds like dak-dadadak...dadadak....(you can here every package)... 3G is a fast Ferrari, with a smaller trunk, but it dashes with high speed with its load to your device and back and there and back... (it sound like krchrchrchrch....)....
    It doesnt determined by your dataplan or not... Some service provider throttling the signaling speed in the 4G-net to support and sell the premium-contracts, but this has no influence to 3G!

Buy the Bold and have a look to your bill (dataplan recommended!). But 3G works! :-)
    08-25-13 03:42 AM
    So basically I will get a faster browsing with 3g regardless of the fact that I don't have a data plan? I guess there really is no relation between 3g abnd data plan because before I had a blackberry, I have an xperia phone where my browsing was really fast compared to my curve 8520.
    08-25-13 04:48 AM
    So basically I will get a faster browsing with 3g regardless of the fact that I don't have a data plan? I guess there really is no relation between 3g abnd data plan because before I had a blackberry, I have an xperia phone where my browsing was really fast compared to my curve 8520.
    First: BlackBerry were never the fastest phones in browsing (except the new OS10!). So nearly every other smartphone (on the same level of price and development) was faster than a BlackBerry.

I dont know your contract or your prepaid-options. But you need only one thing for smoothly surfing and emailing with a BlackBerry: the BB-net-option. This option is called BB-push (option) in Germany- I dont know whats the name in your area and/or contract. It allows to use the BB-net-server/APN. This is a must have...!

But when you have used your old BB successful (emailing/surfing/BB-Appworld with BB-ID and BB-push-option), you have all the requirement for all future BB!

The dataplan has just two functions: the payment of a determined sum of money for a fixed scope of data-traffic and (in some contracts) to get the essential BB-push-option. If you already have the push-option AND the new device supports prepaid-simcards (IF you have only a prepaid-contract!) than you dont need a seperate dataplan! But remember: without dataplan your bill will become higher cause you have to pay for every MB you use...
    08-25-13 05:20 AM
    I'm talking about browsing through wifi cause that's the only way I browse the internet. I just want to know if my browsing would be faster when I use a phone with 3g.
    08-25-13 06:53 AM
    No difference at all: if you're using wifi your speed is entirely dependent on the quality of the access point.

Can the phone even be provisioned on a carrier network without a BIS account (i.e. Data plan)?

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 12:23 PM
    Yes the difference between a 3g phone and what the 8520 offered is very noticeable.
    My torch 9810 upgrade from the 8520 was a huge improvement

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 03:02 PM
    No difference at all: if you're using wifi your speed is entirely dependent on the quality of the access point.

Can the phone even be provisioned on a carrier network without a BIS account (i.e. Data plan)?

Posted via CB10
    Just saw this. Yeah if you only use wifi there will be no difference

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 03:03 PM
    Just saw this. Yeah if you only use wifi there will be no difference

Posted via CB10
    So theres no point of me buying a 3g phone then? Cause i thought my curve 8520 browsing was slow because of the fact that it only supports 2g.
    08-25-13 11:37 PM
    So theres no point of me buying a 3g phone then? Cause i thought my curve 8520 browsing was slow because of the fact that it only supports 2g.
    Of course there is a difference !
    The 8520 is an OS 5 device , the Bold 9900 is an OS 7 .
    There is a difference in browsing speed on the Bold because of the better browser / newer OS.
    ( both on wifi and BIS )
    08-26-13 01:38 AM
    2g is what you use if you don't use wifi.
    If you only use wifi then the 2g makes no difference

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 08:26 AM
    Of course there is a difference !
    The 8520 is an OS 5 device , the Bold 9900 is an OS 7 .
    There is a difference in browsing speed on the Bold because of the better browser / newer OS.
    ( both on wifi and BIS )
    This is true
    Although he never said it was a 9900.
    The 7.1 browser is faster than the os 5 but I don't know if it is worth buying purely for the browser

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 08:28 AM
    This is true
    The 7.1 browser is faster than the os 5 but I don't know if it is worth buying purely for the browser

Posted via CB10
    Im actually planning to switch to Bold 9000 because i really it better than the curve.
    08-28-13 06:05 AM
    Im actually planning to switch to Bold 9000 because i really it better than the curve.
    Your decision is based on price only ?
    What is the price difference from the 9000 and 9900 ?
    08-28-13 11:42 AM
    Your browsing would actually be slower on the Bold 9000. It has less RAM and comes with an older OS than your current curve. The 3G/2G difference has zero impact when using Wifi.
    08-28-13 11:45 AM
    This is true

Posted via CB10
    In his first sentence he stated he wanted to change from Curve to Bold.
    08-28-13 11:46 AM
    In his first sentence he stated he wanted to change from Curve to Bold.
    There are many different Bold devices...
    The 9900 is only one of them
    08-28-13 04:55 PM
    Your decision is based on price only ?
    What is the price difference from the 9000 and 9900 ?
    No. Its because i really like how the Bold 9000 looks since its really big. I could go with those touchscreen bolds but its not cheap here.

Your browsing would actually be slower on the Bold 9000. It has less RAM and comes with an older OS than your current curve. The 3G/2G difference has zero impact when using Wifi.
    Slower browsing? Well **** that wouldnt be cool. But dammit i really dont like the size of my curve.
    08-29-13 05:23 AM