I've decided so save up a little extra cash to buy a new toy around Christmas time as a gift to myself. I already have a Bold 9900 and a 32GB PlayBook. I'm not looking for a phone. $300 before taxes/shipping would be my limit.

The items that have peaked my interest are (in no particular order)...

- Nexus 7
    - Kindle Fire HD
    - iPod Touch (5th Gen)

At the moment, I am leaning towards the iPod Touch. Main reason would be the ecosystem that I already have invested in, with movies, tv shows and some apps bought for my wife's iphone and daughter's iPad. Plus, the iPod Touch going widescreen would enhance movie viewing from older models.

From my understanding (correct me if I am wrong), the Kindle Fire ecosystem is lacking in Canada? The Nexus 7 is a distant 3rd consideration for me. I'm not that impressed with Android. Be it the way to navigate around or the inconsistent structure of Android device to device.

If you have an extra $300 to burn, where would it go?
    09-21-12 08:46 AM
    Do you realize you are posting this on a BlackBerry forum and none of the devices are BlackBerry related?

I would save the $300 until a BB10 device came out and apply it towards an upgrade fee.
    09-21-12 08:57 AM
    If I had an extra $300 it would go to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, but that's not what you meant

I think your rationale for the iPod is a sound one and with you already having a 9900 it would give you the best of two great platforms.

Or you could just hold off until January or so and get the BB10. There will still be a resale market for your 9900 so you'll be able to recoup something back on that.
    esk369 likes this.
    09-21-12 09:01 AM
    I wouldn't get any of those devices with my $300. iPods are not great devices. They usually lag behind Apples other products, getting the slower processors and lacking features. I don't know if the new iPods are any different, but this has been true for all previous generations of iPod touch.

What about an iPad 2? A refurb should be in the $350 range.
    09-21-12 09:02 AM
    I wouldn't get any of those devices with my $300. iPods are not great devices. They usually lag behind Apples other products, getting the slower processors and lacking features. I don't know if the new iPods are any different, but this has been true for all previous generations of iPod touch.

The newest iPod Touches are using the 4S camera and processor and come with Siri...a media device with a dual-core processor isn't lagging in my book.
    09-21-12 09:07 AM
    The newest iPod Touches are using the 4S camera and processor and come with Siri...a media device with a dual-core processor isn't lagging in my book.
    Hmm, is it actually the 4s processor or a lower clocked A5? Any idea on the RAM? I know when the last gen itouch came out (2 years ago) it had way too little RAM, slower CPU and GPU. Most newer apps were a pain to run on it.
    09-21-12 09:11 AM

An iPad2 is an interesting thought. It would likely be a better overall value for me. I'm just not yet sure if portability will be a primary concern or not. If the iPad Mini (if it really exists) comes out before Christmas, that may become the item of choice.
    09-22-12 07:43 AM
    Or you could just give them to me.

I've been whiling to buy a 9810 for a long time
    09-22-12 07:57 AM
    why would you buy an android tablet while you've already got a playbook which can get most android job done.
    09-22-12 08:02 AM
    Three words: blackberry music gateway.
    09-22-12 09:36 AM
    5 words:

Send It To Pedro Borgas.

More words if you want my address
    09-22-12 10:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD