3 reasons why RIMM shares will move higher before BlackBerry World on May 3rd: Investing Blog: 3 Reasons RIMM Will Move Higher Before BlackBerry World
    04-03-11 06:55 PM
    Let's see you were wrong with your last prediction:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/4-r...report-595913/

You just trying to pimp your site out again?
    q649 likes this.
    04-03-11 07:45 PM
    I'm optimistic on RIM anyway. For all the reasons stated in that article, I think RIM will continue to perform strongly, even though this will be a 'transition' year. That being said, there's nothing new being revealed here that wasn't known last week when the Street took a meat cleaver to RIM's stock price. Because investors today are so damned short-sighted, what's going to make the most immediate impact on the stock is how well the PlayBook does in stores. But of course they're going to measure that against the impossibly high bar that Apple sets with all its releases, so unless the PB sells out in its first week, who knows what will happen.

But at least somebody is finally acknowledging what QNX is bringing to the table:

Its QNX-powered OS is far superior in performance and multi-tasking ability than its Apple and Android rivals. For example, according to Barron's, this week Electronic Arts Vice-President Travis Boatman said the following about the PlayBook, �It�s one of the fastest devices out there,� and, �You take a good software environment and great hardware, you�ve got a device that designers and developers can create great content on.

The last bit is the real key to PlayBook's -- and RIM's -- long-term success. If it's as good as all that, and if it does catch on with developers, and if it all translates well to QNX handhelds next year, the tablet and smartphone landscape is going to be some kinda horse race.
    04-03-11 07:46 PM
    So what devices do you guys believe RIM will launch at BlackBerry World on May 3? I expect at least the Bold Touch 9930 will be launched, and I'm hoping the Storm 3/BlackBerry Touch will be as well. What about you guys?
    04-05-11 09:51 PM
    The last bit is the real key to PlayBook's -- and RIM's -- long-term success. If it's as good as all that, and if it does catch on with developers, and if it all translates well to QNX handhelds next year, the tablet and smartphone landscape is going to be some kinda horse race.
    You're right on that but can RIM deliver? Just because they say it's better to develop for does that mean it really is, and for evidence to prove to you that RIM still doesn't understand developers even with QNX I point you to:

You Win, RIM! (An Open Letter To RIM's Developer Relations)

Doesn't seem like they understand what it takes yet. They should be pretty ashamed of that, doesn't show that they care about luring developers at all.
    04-05-11 10:19 PM

Doesn't seem like they understand what it takes yet. They should be pretty ashamed of that, doesn't show that they care about luring developers at all.
    Haven't developers on here already debunked a large amount of the whines in that post and Rim acknowledged the areas where they could improve things.
    04-06-11 01:12 AM
    Let's see you were wrong with your last prediction:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/4-r...report-595913/

You just trying to pimp your site out again?

I too thought they would rise, but I also didn't realize people looking to make a quick buck would dump the stock.
    04-06-11 10:37 AM
    You're right on that but can RIM deliver? Just because they say it's better to develop for does that mean it really is, and for evidence to prove to you that RIM still doesn't understand developers even with QNX I point you to:

Old article. Don't know what that author's issue was, but since then several articles have been posted about the steps RIM has taken to remove barriers to new app approval, like no longer requiring a notarized proof of identity to submit an app. I'll be damned if I can find one at the moment.
    04-06-11 11:15 AM
    if you can manage to come up with 6 more, your google ranking will be higher. just sayin.
    04-06-11 11:35 AM
    I'm optimistic on RIM anyway. For all the reasons stated in that article, I think RIM will continue to perform strongly, even though this will be a 'transition' year. That being said, there's nothing new being revealed here that wasn't known last week when the Street took a meat cleaver to RIM's stock price. Because investors today are so damned short-sighted, what's going to make the most immediate impact on the stock is how well the PlayBook does in stores. But of course they're going to measure that against the impossibly high bar that Apple sets with all its releases, so unless the PB sells out in its first week, who knows what will happen.

But at least somebody is finally acknowledging what QNX is bringing to the table:

Its QNX-powered OS is far superior in performance and multi-tasking ability than its Apple and Android rivals. For example, according to Barron's, this week Electronic Arts Vice-President Travis Boatman said the following about the PlayBook, �It�s one of the fastest devices out there,� and, �You take a good software environment and great hardware, you�ve got a device that designers and developers can create great content on.

the world doesn't need another mobile OS. which is why QNX remained a system that controlled car entertainment systems for years until rimm came along in desperate need. but we have to have real products out to prove this. so far rimm is not cooperating.
    04-06-11 11:37 AM
    The world actually is in desperate need of a secure scalable architecture. Rim had the vision to make qnx a reality.

where it goes is anybodys guess.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-11 12:58 PM
    The world actually is in desperate need of a secure scalable architecture. Rim had the vision to make qnx a reality.

where it goes is anybodys guess.

is that why the first thing rimm made sure to do was figure out a way to run Android apps on it?
    04-06-11 01:23 PM
    is that why the first thing rimm made sure to do was figure out a way to run Android apps on it?
    Android applications are not compiled programs per se, the are a stream of byte codes that are interpreted by the virtual machine. The virtual machine runs on top of qnx as an application or service.

Hence your statement doesn't really make sense.

04-06-11 01:41 PM
    the world doesn't need another mobile OS. which is why QNX remained a system that controlled car entertainment systems for years until rimm came along in desperate need. but we have to have real products out to prove this. so far rimm is not cooperating.
    Everybody is screaming that one of RIM's biggest problems is the age of its OS. So which is it? Do they need to update it or not? If anybody is facing an uphill struggle with a new OS, it's going to be Motorola.

Umm, seriously, that was closer to the last thing they did than the first. And the reason they did it is to have near immediate access to thousands more apps, thereby minimizing the possibility of app count being a barrier to success. Which coincidentally is the second of the three biggest complaints about the platform, the third of which being hardware. Got any gripes about that to make it a trifecta? Of course you do. Come on, don't let us down.
    04-06-11 01:48 PM
    Guys, stop complaining about RIM. The PlayBook is a great tablet, and if you don't like it, that's too bad for you.

I'm still wondering what everyone thinks RIM will announce at BlackBerry World on May 3? I believe at least the Bold Touch 9930 will be announced, and I'm hoping the Storm 3/BlackBerry Touch will be as well. What about you guys?
    04-06-11 02:44 PM
    I hope they announce all the 2011 phones and show off some working models that will be released within weeks.
    04-06-11 04:08 PM
    Guys, stop complaining about RIM. The PlayBook is a great tablet, and if you don't like it, that's too bad for you.

I'm still wondering what everyone thinks RIM will announce at BlackBerry World on May 3? I believe at least the Bold Touch 9930 will be announced, and I'm hoping the Storm 3/BlackBerry Touch will be as well. What about you guys?
    I'm betting:
    - new phone news & release dates
    - 3G & 4G PlayBook & carrier news
    - upcoming developments for the PlayBook (i.e., stand-alone email & calendar clients and sync tools, USB OTG, etc.)
    - Tablet OS developer tools and other info
    - and hopefully a high-level progress report on OS7 & related product roadmap
    - strategic partnerships, such as what they plan on doing with MS & 'the cloud'

What I'd really like to see clarified is whether OS7 devices are intended to eventually completely replace the existing line, or if they will maintain both as two distinct lines (as has been suggested in some interviews); and if the latter, how will the two be differentiated so as not to cannibalize each other.
    04-06-11 04:22 PM
    They should show all the leaked devices. I mean its not like people who attend bbw haven't seen them yet. And they need to have working models for hands on reports. And they need to have CARRIER release dates within 60 days of bbw. Anything else will be cause for much criticism. Playbook will be out so they can show some early numbers or something there but have to shift focus from playbook to new 6.1 devices.

04-06-11 04:24 PM
    I'm betting:
    - new phone news & release dates
    - 3G & 4G PlayBook & carrier news
    - upcoming developments for the PlayBook (i.e., stand-alone email & calendar clients and sync tools, USB OTG, etc.)
    - Tablet OS developer tools and other info
    - and hopefully a high-level progress report on OS7 & related product roadmap
    - strategic partnerships, such as what they plan on doing with MS & 'the cloud'

What I'd really like to see clarified is whether OS7 devices are intended to eventually completely replace the existing line, or if they will maintain both as two distinct lines (as has been suggested in some interviews); and if the latter, how will the two be differentiated so as not to cannibalize each other.
    I agree with most of that. And 3G PlayBook is a good point. We haven't heard anything about that lately, even though one would think that should come out before the 4G PlayBooks.

However, I don't think we'll be seeing much about OS7 at BlackBerry World. They'll be pushing OS 6.1 at the event (which is on Bold Touch and Storm 3/Touch) and talking too much about OS7 might get ppl excited about that instead of OS 6.1
    04-06-11 07:15 PM
    3g Playbook was for att
    Wimax/4g only for sprint
    LTE for verizon

there was talk of the sprint NOT being 3G compatible but i still dont think its true
    04-06-11 07:27 PM
    they do need a new OS. they should have joined an existing ecosystem like nokia did. nokia bit the bullet and made a hard decision. they didn't pretend a new "rtos" was going to change anything.
    You remind me of the guy in the bar.... Who over hears other peoples conversations...and gives his own feedback through a drunken mumble.... under the hard swallow, of one too many double ryes ......and the whole time the response makes sense only to himself
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 04-06-11 at 09:37 PM.
    sleepngbear likes this.
    04-06-11 09:31 PM
    Spot on missing_K-W!!! Douchetender is useless POS who contributes absolutely NOTHING to crackberry and I think Kevin should seriously put up a poll to see who is in favor of removing his useless arse. Anyone agree with me?? I come to this site to learn about blackberry stuff and this ***** seems to be on a mission to troll almost every decent thread on crackberry. Please begone troll, it's not our fault your mommy didn't love you enough when you were a baby!!

04-06-11 10:22 PM
    Spot on missing_K-W!!! Douchetender is useless POS who contributes absolutely NOTHING to crackberry and I think Kevin should seriously put up a poll to see who is in favor of removing his useless arse. Anyone agree with me?? I come to this site to learn about blackberry stuff and this ***** seems to be on a mission to troll almost every decent thread on crackberry. Please begone troll, it's not our fault your mommy didn't love you enough when you were a baby!!

I am really really hurt by your insensitivity. But I am also wondering why you read my posts?
    Last edited by dutchtender; 04-06-11 at 10:37 PM.
    04-06-11 10:35 PM
    they do need a new OS. they should have joined an existing ecosystem like nokia did. nokia bit the bullet and made a hard decision. they didn't pretend a new "rtos" was going to change anything.
    And abandon their entire business model? That makes a lot of sense. And please don't respond with what a failure their current business model is, because 1, it isn't; and 2, there's just a bit more going on than processor speeds and pretty icons on touch screens.

Nokia's business is making phones. RIM's business is BES and BIS, followed closely by building devices and an OS that work within that framework. No other phone maker or OS has to function within those constraints. So exactly which existing ecosystem would you propose to fill that role?

As for an ecosystem, RIM is quite aware of the need to have one that is fertile and robust. That's one big reason why they baked in an easy adaption of Android apps to QNX. QNX is also supposed to be providing an environment that minimizes barriers for developers; whether or not it succeeds there and can be as competitive as those for iOS and Android is anyone's guess. And yes, we all know what you're guessing.
    04-06-11 10:39 PM
    And abandon their entire business model? That makes a lot of sense. And please don't respond with what a failure their current business model is, because 1, it isn't; and 2, there's just a bit more going on than processor speeds and pretty icons on touch screens.

Nokia's business is making phones. RIM's business is BES and BIS, followed closely by building devices and an OS that work within that framework. No other phone maker or OS has to function within those constraints. So exactly which existing ecosystem would you propose to fill that role?

As for an ecosystem, RIM is quite aware of the need to have one that is fertile and robust. That's one big reason why they baked in an easy adaption of Android apps to QNX. QNX is also supposed to be providing an environment that minimizes barriers for developers; whether or not it succeeds there and can be as competitive as those for iOS and Android is anyone's guess. And yes, we all know what you're guessing.
    oh that explains everything. In that case...Let me be the first to welcome...all of you...to the Android Ecosystem!
    04-06-11 10:46 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD