Hi All,

So I'm studying in Australia for roughly 3 months (June-August, leaving tomorrow, actually) and am scrambling to figure out a way to make use of my BlackBerry 8310 abroad. I've spoken with AT&T and they tell me that my only option is to upgrade to the $69/month International plan, keep it for two months after I return, and then pay a $170 early termination fee, all of this adding up to about $320 more than what I'm already paying. I've spoken with a friend of my father's who apparently just "went in" to AT&T and was able to turn on some kind of "temporary international roaming" without locking himself into a contract. Does anyone have experience with this?

Secondly, my contacts in Australia have recommended that I sign up with Vodafone. Perhaps I haven't sufficiently researched the Vodafone website, and I apologize if the answer to this question can be found there, but would this allow me to make full use of my BlackBerry? I understand that I would need to have it "unlocked" prior to using a Vodafone SIM, would this "unlocking" give me any difficulties when I return to the U.S. in August and re-insert my AT&T SIM?

Thank you!
    06-02-08 09:11 AM
    Hi

Will Vodafone aus require you to sign up a contract for a minimum of 12/18 months? This will obviously be a problem if you will only be there for 3 months so it would be worth your while finding that out.

Unlocking your phone just means that you can use any carriers sim card and will both cause any problems when you return home & use your home carriers sim card.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-08 09:20 AM
    Excuse my spelling!

Unlocking will not cause any problems.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-08 09:23 AM
    Thanks so much!
    06-03-08 01:47 AM
    I am in australia right now but i have the 8830 and alltel. I got a local sim card when I got here and then its just pay-as-you go type plan. I dont pay anyhting extra on my alltel account back home though. I dont know if things are the same for att. If you need the data services Virgin mobile does not support that. Hope any of that helps.
    06-03-08 06:27 AM
    Tmobile's international blackberry plan is only $20 on top of the normal $20 BIS plan. And you can add it and cancel it anytime you want. ATTs $70 pricing is nuts and the early termination fee is even crazier.
    06-12-08 10:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD