I realize this isn't properly "Blackberry news" but thought it was still appropriate. A mod can take it down if they so see fit, I won't be offended.

BUT, I came across this and thought I'd share it!!

CES 2009: SD Association Announces 2TB Memory Card Standard for Phones - Gearlog

Wednesday January 7, 2009
    CES 2009: SD Association Announces 2TB Memory Card Standard for Phones
    Categories:

CES 2009, Cell Phones & Services, Hard Drives & Storage
    Tags:

microsdxc.jpg Two terabytes of data in your phone? Seriously? That's what the SD Association announced today. The new SDXC card standard supports sizes up to 2TB, with data transfer speeds up to 104 MB/sec and potential future speeds up to 300 MB/sec. The SDXC specification will be released in the first quarter of 2009, the association says, which means that cards may come out by the end of the year.

"Big" SDXC cards will fit into digital cameras and music players. But the most amazing part of this news is that SDXC even applies to the sort of "micro" cards that go in cell phones. "The microSDXC card [would be] based on current SD interface for use in mobiles," an association spokeswoman said via e-mail.

How do you file away 2 TB of data on a flash card? The SDXC standard will use the Microsoft exFAT file system (aka FAT64), which extends the venerable FAT file system to handle file sizes greater than 4 GB and more than 1000 files per directory.

Badly Photoshopped rendering above is imaginary; SanDisk has no such card (yet.)

For PCMag's full CES coverage, go to PC Magazine's Show Coverage of CES - News, Reviews, Gadgets and more from International CES 2008.
    01-13-09 10:58 AM
    Thanks for the share Sultan.
    01-13-09 11:05 AM
    thats amazing that they can fit that much storage into such a small device however all phones have a limit on what they can handle in terms of sd card capacity. So they will have to make a phone capable of handling a 2TB storage card.
    01-13-09 11:14 AM
    All I can say is WOW!
    01-13-09 01:47 PM
    Wow, that's kind of scary... lol
    01-13-09 01:50 PM
    I'll finally be able to get all my stuff on the one card. When's the 32Tb one due out?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-09 01:53 PM
    Thats a lot more than what I will need for a long time. We will need a major OS upgrade to use all of it.
    01-13-09 01:56 PM
    Yeah Ok !!! How much ? $500,000,would you like me to put that on your Amex Sir ? LoL !!!!
    01-13-09 01:57 PM
    I remember thinking the 1GB card for my OLD Samsung was so big.
    01-13-09 02:52 PM
    Yeah Ok !!! How much ? $500,000,would you like me to put that on your Amex Sir ? LoL !!!!
    LOL!!! I know right!
    01-13-09 04:55 PM
    I remember thinking the 1GB card for my OLD Samsung was so big.
    Me too! I must suck, I haven't even filled my 1 Gig.
    01-13-09 04:57 PM
    Sweet...with 2tb, that's like 200ish DVD's in your phone. No need lol. Or 3500 mobile size-DVD quality movies on your phone.
    01-13-09 05:28 PM
    It means nothing for mobile phones really. At this point in time anyway...
    01-14-09 06:36 AM
    Speed is amazing. 300 m/p/s WOW!! But the size is incomprehensible. Still hard to find decent 16 gig cl4 or cl6 at any price. How did we skip ahead so fast? 1gig - 2 gig - 4 gig - 8 gig - 16 gig to 2TB? What happened to everything in-between. And will that mean that a 64 gig micro will become as cheap as a 2 gig is now.
    01-14-09 10:45 AM
    Bear in mind that they're just agreeing the standard for now.
    Whilst it says cards will appear later this year, it doesn't say they'll be the 32tb ones, just ones to the new standard.
    Ultimately you'll be able to get huge cards for little money, but a 32tb micro sd is still years away.
    How cool will it be to carry all your music, movies, photos, work, etc. With you everywhere?! It'll be a happy day...

01-14-09 11:00 AM
    That's crazy it's like more memory than all my laptops put together.
    The sd card would probably make devices extremely slow and probably laggy with all that data.
    =O
    It's too much. I'm still amazed at the 16gb mini sd's haha.
    01-14-09 11:05 AM
    Just think, 10 years ago, not many of us thought we'd have the power in our hands we have now. Imagine how far we'll go in 10 years. I do know they're working on systems that will generate their own power, giving us autonomy we can barely imagine now.

01-14-09 12:01 PM
    Ok so u could have tge entire series mash, gunsmoke, all six star wars, plus everything star trek. And still have room.
    U joke those are sume of the long running stuff I could think of off the top of my head.
    That's insane

01-14-09 01:23 PM
    Wow. I still remember in the early 90s a friend was starting up an ISP and I lent him $800 to buy a 4GB hard drive for his mail server. It was the biggest we could get, and needed a full height bay and SCSI.

01-14-09 03:30 PM
    That's just crazy. Plain old crazy. 2TBs of data floating around in thousands of cell phones?? No thank you I think I'll pass.
    01-14-09 03:38 PM
    Bear in mind that they're just agreeing the standard for now.
    Whilst it says cards will appear later this year, it doesn't say they'll be the 32tb ones, just ones to the new standard.
    Ultimately you'll be able to get huge cards for little money, but a 32tb micro sd is still years away.
    How cool will it be to carry all your music, movies, photos, work, etc. With you everywhere?! It'll be a happy day...

unfortunately, that also means a potential to lose a LOT of information. I am always careful not too put anything potentially sensitive or personal on my BB or flash drive for that matter, with wonders such as Gmail available I'd rather store it there. Maybe I'm just paranoid. Exciting to see technology advancements seem to be making leaps again recently. For a while it seemed like we hit a bit of a slump. The new mini cpu's coming out for handheld devices are extremely promising as well.
    01-14-09 03:54 PM
    Seriously, what would you do with 2TB in your BB? The first sync would take quite a bit of time..

01-15-09 07:59 PM
    We have come a long way.
    01-15-09 08:57 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 2 TB will be the full sized SDXC cards. The MicroSDXC cards will not hold up to 2TB. Perhaps 512 GB.
    01-15-09 09:49 PM
    that's so sick! i gotta have one.
    01-15-09 09:54 PM
138 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD