Hi,

Like many to thers before me I have learned the hard way if you buy a used blackberry on ebay it may the pin setup for a previous owners email account, an account that is sending me spam. I don't really need BBs email facility, as i can still access email accounts via the web browser, so is it possible to use the firewall block pin setting to stop these other messages to come through and allow my normal text and MMS messages and my data carriage for web browsing and my wifi at home for net surfing there? Is this what the firewall part called pin is for? I have called my carrier and they say they cant unlock and I need to find original owner and ask him to ask his carrier to unlock the pin, it seems ridiculous a pin can be linked to a phone but not the new owner... I am guessing this is a money earner for RiM so they can get more sales of unlucky ebayers?

Thanks in advance,
    03-31-11 07:35 AM
    Um. no.
    Get the previous owner to fix it on his side to unlink his BBID from your Phone.
    He doesn't need to unlock his pin, he needs to unlink his Blackberry Id from your phone.

Stop trolling on RIM. lol
    03-31-11 07:39 AM
    Hi,

Thanks for your response, I may not be able to contact original owner, the previous owner owned it for two months and then resold on ebay.
    03-31-11 08:02 AM
    The pin is tied to the device not the user or carrier. if you can't contact the previous owner to release the pin from his carriers BIS site then your best bet is to wipe the device with a program such as bbsak then reload the OS and setup the pin on your carriers BIS site.
    flipkc likes this.
    03-31-11 08:34 AM
    Is that legal? Will carrier be happy about that?
    03-31-11 08:38 AM
    Is that legal? Will carrier be happy about that?
    Yes it is legal.
    It should not phase the carrier.

I just noticed how awesome your CrackBerry Name is.
    03-31-11 08:40 AM
    legal? whats the legality of it?

If the previous owner had it setup on their carriers bis(assuming you have different carriers) site and he didn't release it before selling it, then its just an empty shell after wiping. Wiping the device will at the very least stop you from receiving his emails. SMS and MMS are dependent on your phone number and not the data plan or PIN.

Still your best bet is to contact the previous owner and have them release the pin from his carriers BIS site.
    03-31-11 08:43 AM
    Thanks Death, how do I get a hold of the OS? I am running a linux computer with virtualbox running windows xp, I updated the BB DM and it updated the OS on the BB, however another issue i have is that the DM will not copy over old contacts that I was able to back up from my old BB 8700V as it keeps on crashing, it says its in progress but nothing happens. I don't want to have to load my old contacts one by one onto new phone... It wouldn't have been an issue if it weren't for the fact the old BB could not copy contacts to sim in one go.
    03-31-11 08:44 AM
    legal? whats the legality of it?

If the previous owner had it setup on their carriers bis(assuming you have different carriers) site and he didn't release it before selling it, then its just an empty shell after wiping. Wiping the device will at the very least stop you from receiving his emails. SMS and MMS are dependent on your phone number and not the data plan or PIN.

Still your best bet is to contact the previous owner and have them release the pin from his carriers BIS site.

Potential ileglaity of it i.e. modyfiying RIMS software.

With regards to the pin and emails issue, I called my carrier and they said if wiping the device via the security function doesnt do it, then I WILL have to get the original owner who tied up the email account with the pin to remove it.
    03-31-11 08:46 AM
    Potential ileglaity of it i.e. modyfiying RIMS software.

With regards to the pin and emails issue, I called my carrier and they said if wiping the device via the security function doesnt do it, then I WILL have to get the original owner who tied up the email account with the pin to remove it.
    Your not modifying anything. Millions of BB owners wipe and reload the OS everyday. I did it about 6 times testing hybrids the other day.

Think of it this way in pc terms(your bb is pretty much a small pc). It would be no different then formatting your hard drive and reloading your operating system.
    03-31-11 08:54 AM
    So what exactly would be the process involved in doing this? How would I wipe and reinstall the entire Os on it?

Besides the security wipe I already did last night, I still received junk mail today. Although I haven't had anything since this morning, which is good, it seemed interesting the spam on both occasions on which I took the battery out while the thing was turned on (which i believed would take be to factory settings) only came within minutes of starting to use the device on a network. I had antenna turned off last night until this morning, as soon as it was on, spam arrived.
    03-31-11 09:01 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/prop...ocedure-53359/

Follow the advanced user steps(includes how to wipe the device). Only thing you shouldn't do is use DM to do a complete backup as this will also backup the emails the previous user had setup. If you want do a selective backup and just choose your text messages and contacts.
    03-31-11 09:08 AM
    Are there known issues with regards to the BBDM crashing in my windows XP?
    03-31-11 09:17 AM
    "# Download the desired device OS (from whatever your source may be" - ???
    03-31-11 09:20 AM
    ok wel I just had a scare while using the above program to put onto the new BB the old BBs address book, which had different version numbers, and the phone wouldn't turn on three times in a row! I am not going to pursue this as its an expensive device to mess up! I will copy over my contacts one by one and hope the spam goes away, which as an experienced Internet user, i fear will not Shame I had to learn about all this nonsense the hard way, maybe a guy on the market will help me? It seems after a few reboots, I don't have blackberry messenger, though one spam message has popped into my text mail box, it advises i install BB messenger and accept the ad request.
    03-31-11 10:27 AM
    The latest version of BBM is available here http://www.blackberry.com/select/bbm/download.shtml connect ot it with your BB and it will downlaod
    03-31-11 10:45 AM
    The pin is tied to the device not the user or carrier. if you can't contact the previous owner to release the pin from his carriers BIS site then your best bet is to wipe the device with a program such as bbsak then reload the OS and setup the pin on your carriers BIS site.
    Wiping the OS isn't going to get the PIN released.
    Chrisy likes this.
    03-31-11 10:57 AM
    This is what i had thought. I have however had luck with my contacts, i was able to use a phone I used six months ago to copy contacts to my newest blackberry sin, however, i have to go to contacts, then go to sim contacts in order to see them, i would like them to be the default set of contacts i see when i open up the contacts list, how can i do this? I have an 8520.

With regards to having to unlock the pin in order for a new customer to use the phone as part of their email service, have any campaigns been in action to take this practice RIM to court over? Don't get me wrong, i have nothing against rim as a company (except for this issue), but this is clearly a money earner, there's no technical reason why they create this huge problem for all people who would rather spend little money on a second hand phone than buy a brand new one. In addition to this inconvenience of receiving other peoples mail (curiously can this mean i can have my own account separate to theirs?) i also have to presumably pay for the previous owners data usage as i am getting emails from a third party i do not wish to receive from.

As for my earlier request, what does the firewall do with regards to putting the firewall setting to the pin???
    03-31-11 12:59 PM
    Your right it wont release the pin, but it will stop the emails from the other persons email account.
    03-31-11 01:20 PM
    Your right it wont release the pin, but it will stop the emails from the other persons email account.
    I am confused now, i was under the impression by posts here that the pin was the very source of identification that would allow the emails to get to my mobile phone (like an email address would). Are you saying if i do a procedure i can stop the emails going to my phone from the previous user AND still allow me to use the phone as a phone and mobile internet/wifi device?
    03-31-11 04:29 PM
    In the end, i have called RIM and they said if I apply the firewall to the PIN part under firewall settings, then I wont received them, i have done this and firewall says it has blocked items already, so at least these aren't coming through to my inbox and making my phone bleep every so often! The phone still workings in every other way, mobile voice, texts and wifi net on my home network! and mobile browsing!
    04-01-11 02:12 PM
    If you want to use BBM in the future, or set up BIS to get your emails to you, you will need to get that PIN released. It's a pretty BB 101 thing to do before selling a phone. You should be able to get in touch with the seller... Did you two communicate through telepathy or something when you made the purchase?

You should get that PIN released...
    04-01-11 10:01 PM
    If you want to use BBM in the future, or set up BIS to get your emails to you, you will need to get that PIN released. It's a pretty BB 101 thing to do before selling a phone. You should be able to get in touch with the seller... Did you two communicate through telepathy or something when you made the purchase?

You should get that PIN released...
    Item bought on Ebay, seller not original owner and from hat I read in his emails to me he also had the issue. My carrier O2 in the UK wont do it, anyone here have friends in high places at BB?

I was told i can use BB email service in seperate to the BBM, can anyone advise if this is correct as I don't get the impression the bloke i spoke to at my network carrier knows this to be true or not. If i setup the email service does this mean i have to turn the part of the firewall blocking the PIN off? if so this would result in BBM messages coming through to my phone.
    04-02-11 03:38 AM
    Item bought on Ebay, seller not original owner and from hat I read in his emails to me he also had the issue. My carrier O2 in the UK wont do it, anyone here have friends in high places at BB?

I was told i can use BB email service in seperate to the BBM, can anyone advise if this is correct as I don't get the impression the bloke i spoke to at my network carrier knows this to be true or not. If i setup the email service does this mean i have to turn the part of the firewall blocking the PIN off? if so this would result in BBM messages coming through to my phone.
    You may be able to set up Logicmail for email and use Opera Mini for web.
    04-02-11 10:58 AM
    It sounds like you are receiving pin messages and not emails set up through a company like google or yahoo. These are tied to the pin associated with who ever set it up. You can set up these types of email accounts on the phone if it is functional. If you can't get a hold of the person who set up the device you will not get the full use of the phone.
    04-02-11 03:29 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD