1080p seems to be the industry standard though, it's one of the things people argue with me against the Z30, whether they can tell the difference or not the fact that they don't have it and it's almost an industry standard means they'll be fuel to the flames of critics

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    Agree on this. I'd want to see a 1080p just so it would be up to par with other flagship phones.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-14 12:24 PM
    2560x1440 AMOLED beast-mock_it_derail.jpg

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    04-14-14 12:24 PM
    Wow!! The smart phone technology does really move very fast. YOU SNOOZE YOU LOSE.
    04-14-14 12:32 PM
    Those are television specs for distance. Post the specs for a 5" phone. . . The thing is we cannot see past 720p (680p is average) . .. So we cant tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. A movie with the same contrast ratio (black) on 5" to 10" screen size you cannot tell any difference.

BUT with that said, the differences we can tell between 720p and 1080 are things life fonts (text)

Another "BUT" is in here as well, screen resolution is just a number, now the type of screen, technology used, hardware, software and lighting are all factors to keep in mind, if screens are identical you cannot tell the difference. But a cheap screen compared to a high end screen. Well then there will be a noticeable difference. We are not seeing past the 720p road block, but we can see the difference between good and bad.

So I don't want to see necessarily HIGHER screen resolution, We all should be demanding HIGHER quality screens, hardware, and software.
    vtpmt81, pystha and Knightcrawler like this.
    04-14-14 12:40 PM
    Those are television specs for distance. Post the specs for a 5" phone. . . The thing is we cannot see past 720p (680p is average) . .. So we cant tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. A movie with the same contrast ratio (black) on 5" to 10" screen size you cannot tell any difference.

BUT with that said, the differences we can tell between 720p and 1080 are things life fonts (text)

Another "BUT" is in here as well, screen resolution is just a number, now the type of screen, technology used, hardware, software and lighting are all factors to keep in mind, if screens are identical you cannot tell the difference. But a cheap screen compared to a high end screen. Well then there will be a noticeable difference. We are not seeing past the 720p road block, but we can see the difference between good and bad.

So I don't want to see necessarily HIGHER screen resolution, We all should be demanding HIGHER quality screens, hardware, and software.
    The smallest font on the Z30 looks extremely pixilated vs, say, the same size on an Xperia Z
    04-14-14 01:07 PM
    BlackBerry, being in the position that they're in, HAS to release a device that offers cutting edge, off the charts specs in order for non-bb users to take notice. Sadly, perception is reality when it comes to mobile devices so even though BB10 doesn't require this or that to function optimally, it needs the specs to grab the attention and push the brand in a positive light.

I'm a very loyal BB user so I "get" what they are offering but it's the on the fence buyers or iPhone or Android loyalists that we need to change the perception with. Until then, BB will always have a negative rap and haters will just make stuff up because they can and the hate......becomes the reality.
    04-14-14 01:54 PM
    BlackBerry, being in the position that they're in, HAS to release a device that offers cutting edge, off the charts specs in order for non-bb users to take notice. Sadly, perception is reality when it comes to mobile devices so even though BB10 doesn't require this or that to function optimally, it needs the specs to grab the attention and push the brand in a positive light.

I'm a very loyal BB user so I "get" what they are offering but it's the on the fence buyers or iPhone or Android loyalists that we need to change the perception with. Until then, BB will always have a negative rap and haters will just make stuff up because they can and the hate......becomes the reality.
    Although I wonder (having just read the latest Crackberry Post) if that will be enough.. it may win over some people, but it's not a long term solution.. and I don't think it's the best, it needs to come with a great story..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    04-14-14 01:58 PM
    You have to start somewhere to at least get in the conversation otherwise it's gonna be a lot of "Yes, but...."

Although I wonder (having just read the latest Crackberry Post) if that will be enough.. it may win over some people, but it's not a long term solution.. and I don't think it's the best, it needs to come with a great story..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    tinochiko likes this.
    04-14-14 02:04 PM
    Spec is spec lol eyes can't see past 720p so for me anything over is just a mute point.

Posted via CB10 on my blazing fast Z30 on 10.2.1.2141

Of course you can see over 720P even on a 5 inch screen. Don't be silly. Most people with 20/10 to 20/20 vision can tell and have their own innate preferences for color saturation, contrast, clarity and definition. But to say that a person can't tell if a 5" device showing a word document, picture, video, movie, cartoon or HD Game has a 1080P screen or a 720p screen is pure silliness. Just because you can't physically count or note the different pixels does not mean the brain can not perceive them. You do.
    JWWDUKE likes this.
    04-14-14 02:11 PM
    And other manufactures have managed to have a 1080p screen and maintain a good battery life how? Those are problems BlackBerry is meant to work on solving.. thats innovation..

For every problem there a solution.. but you have to be willing to stop saying never and start asking how..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    LG, Samsung, HTC, SONY, etc have managed to achieve good battery life with 1080p screens (on par or better than the Z30), seems they are indeed innovating. With BB decreasing manpower in departments like R&D (and having very little money to spend on it) compared to these massive electronic companies, I think that BB will just rely on year old parts to keep costs down on future handsets.
    04-14-14 02:13 PM
    LG, Samsung, HTC, SONY, etc have managed to achieve good battery life with 1080p screens (on par or better than the Z30), seems they are indeed innovating. With BB decreasing manpower in departments like R&D (and having very little money to spend on it) compared to these massive electronic companies, I think that BB will just rely on year old parts to keep costs down on future handsets.
    But is BlackBerry actually that broke? Haven't they got like 2billion in the bank? They need to start spending, spending Wisely, but spending all the same, we can only cover them with 'they're broke ' for so long they need to spend money to make money in this circumstance..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    04-14-14 02:22 PM
    But is BlackBerry actually that broke? Haven't they got like 2billion in the bank? They need to start spending, spending Wisely, but spending all the same, we can only cover them with 'they're broke ' for so long they need to spend money to make money in this circumstance...
    When they are burning through cash at half a billion a quarter, 2B isn't all that much money. Plus, much of that money is already committed. A big company like BB is a money-hungry dragon with a ravenous appetite, and if you aren't bringing in huge revenues to feed it every single day, you lose ground instead of gain it.

BB isn't a start-up with 15 employees - they've still got 7,000 employees, who probably cost the company an average of $100,000 a year in salary and benefits. Just run those numbers alone...
    04-14-14 02:32 PM
    Typical nerd fixates on the resolution and ignores the cute girl.
    Lol she is not cute!

Posted via CB10
    04-14-14 02:40 PM
    When they are burning through cash at half a billion a quarter, 2B isn't all that much money. Plus, much of that money is already committed. A big company like BB is a money-hungry dragon with a ravenous appetite, and if you aren't bringing in huge revenues to feed it every single day, you lose ground instead of gain it.

BB isn't a start-up with 15 employees - they've still got 7,000 employees, who probably cost the company an average of $100,000 a year in salary and benefits. Just run those numbers alone...
    Yes but in the next quarter that can look very different, they are dealing with big numbers it's not like they don't rake big numbers in too, just one good quarter and they can have millions in profit..

In spite of all that I think they can spare a few million and it would be worth it..

Hail Mary

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    04-14-14 02:55 PM
    It makes more sense for BlackBerry to go up to 2560 x 1440 because it's 4x the current standard 1280 x 720. If they did a limited run of 100,000 devices with this resolution (but made sure the device had an adequate CPU and GPU to handle it, and also optimized BlackBerry 10 to make the most of the resolution) I think they could sell these at about $1000, at a profit, and sell the entire stock.

The smallest font on the Z30 looks extremely pixilated vs, say, the same size on an Xperia Z
    What I notice on my Z30 that is when there are smudges or smears on my screen, I see the pixels, as the smudges act like a lens to some degree, warping the RGB pixels a bit so I can see subpixels... with smaller pixels, this might be less noticeable.
    04-14-14 03:11 PM
    Are they getting good battery life, or did they just put a bigger battery with the extra real estate? In other words, if the screen was much smaller with smaller battery, is it still achieving good battery life. I don't know.
    04-14-14 11:46 PM
    Why stop at 2560x1440 when you can have 10240x5760?

I mean, get with the plan people, of course it's much, much better. BlackBerry is always so behind the curve. They need to get that screen resolution now, if not earlier!

Everyone knows you can easily tell the difference...... especially if you're a scanning electron microscope....
    pystha, spikesolie and Soul_Est like this.
    04-15-14 12:30 AM
    For 7000 Employees, it's gonna cost way more than a mere 100k a year in salary...

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 12:35 AM
    I made a concept with this screen size. http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ry-z70-917045/
    04-15-14 12:43 AM
    Higher specs are always worth it because it will get the attention of the media.
    In order to achieve this, you will have to stick out in any form, like with groundbreaking hardware, a top price or something like that.

That's free advertising and it's very powerful because it keeps the talk on BlackBerry and not in a negative way.

The only thing we hear on the media now is another drop in share value or that BlackBerry (will/wants/may/should/announced to) abandon the handset business. That's not what encourages the users to buy new hardware from them.

And I experience this everyday.
    People come to me and say things like: "Hey, there was an article on BlackBerry today in the papers, I heard they will stop producing phones now".

I'd better hear them say: "Oh, did you know BlackBerry is coming up with this new ultra high rez screen soon?"

Specs are important on a flagship consumer phone.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 12:46 AM
    Er......... no.
    04-15-14 12:55 AM
    Higher specs are always worth it because it will get the attention of the media.
    In order to achieve this, you will have to stick out in any form, like with groundbreaking hardware, a top price or something like that.

That's free advertising...

"Internet Logic 101":

1. Engage in a $100 Million dollar development program to engineer and produce a device with a screen resolution twice as high as anything yet available.
    2. Get $5 million dollars-worth of "free advertising"
    3. Win!

2560x1440 AMOLED beast-cartoon.png
    04-15-14 03:20 AM
    A higher Res screen will force BlackBerry to increase other specs of the phone like battery and chip and latest Gorilla Glass that's smudge proof. Before you know it you have a top of the line phone, something BB10 users can talk and brag about besides the OS and the HUB. Believe me, you're not gonna point out your operating system first if you have a $3,000 gaming PC with a 32" OLED monitor.
    04-15-14 04:13 AM
    First ever QHD AMOLED screen: count the pixels in THAT | T3
    Any chance of seeing this on a BlackBerry Device in the near future?
    Chances are between 0% and nil.
    04-15-14 08:43 AM
    Being late means you have the advantage of skipping what your competitors have gone through.. they need to utilise that advantage...

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    Agree -- why be first when you can be last? At the rate we're seeing things, BBRY will be the best last place finisher of all time.
    04-15-14 09:04 AM
75 123