I posted this in Android Central. Here is the link:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ps-delete.html

Some of these apps had over 100 million downloads. It's a great reminder that popularity does NOT imply that an app is secure or trustworthy. Please think carefully before downloading ANY app that doesn't come from a developer you know and trust, including major corporations!

Also, keep as few apps as possible on your phone, and consider, if you only access an app occasionally, simply installing it when needed and uninstalling it afterwards.

This is a great strategy for loyalty apps you only use occasionally. They are notoriously "nosy" and don't add any value when you're not shopping, while they often mine your location and other data.
    brookie229 and Gene Fells like this.
    02-05-20 07:20 AM
    Thanks for listing. Glad I don't have any of those.

Posted via my beautiful priv
    02-05-20 08:15 AM
    Also, keep as few apps as possible on your phone, and consider, if you only access an app occasionally, simply installing it when needed and uninstalling it afterwards.
    This is great advice - it really only takes a minute or so to install an app.
    02-05-20 08:33 AM
    Had to double check to make sure I don't have any of these apps either. Good post.
    02-05-20 08:36 AM
    Hi;

Thanks for the warning
    What about apps which are companion apps to TCL/Alcatel devices?
    I refer specifically to an app called "Link app" which serves to manage Alcatel 4G mobile routers (provided by my carrier, T-Mobile in an European country)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...el.smartlinkv3

BTW, you mentioned insecure VPN apps (for good reason I would add)
    Is there a paid-for VPN service you would recommend?
    02-05-20 01:44 PM
    I have not evaluated any TCL apps, personally. It would avoid any app from a Chinese developer due to the government's lack of privacy regulation and data retention policies.

There are many good VPN services. From a privacy/security perspective, ProtonVPN offers a free service for a single device, is open source and has been thoroughly audited. They are based in Switzerland and are a zero knowledge (they don't need any personal data from the user) company that does not log traffic.

ProtonVPN is not the fastest VPN, and it may not fool media companies for streaming.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-05-20 02:10 PM