Thanks for tracking that down. So we're really talking about 30,000 units shipped to distributors last June. That's what I was tying to understand.

It would be interesting to see more recent actual end user sales data. I assume they will do a follow up this summer.
    And this is why the whole "well, RIM is doing well in India" arguments don't fly. Yea, India, and the Phillipines are important growing markets. However, they are still far smaller than western markets, ESP in the High Tech sector, and almost always follow the US and European technology trends.

BTW, if RIM doesn't take drastic steps soon, Samsung will crush them in India. No one talks about the BB as a smartphone here anymore. The only smartphones are iPhones (which are too expensive) and Samsungs.
    Last edited by addicted44; 03-15-12 at 09:00 AM.
    03-15-12 08:58 AM
    I agree, but when you're a public company you're going to get some degree of criticism no matter what you do. It's often unfair and often excessive, but it's the way it is.
    More that analysts are covering there positions. Cant really be objective if your actively trading in the space. Its like democrats reporting on republicans or the reverse.

In today's age its hard to find neutral (objective) reporting on anything.
    03-15-12 09:03 AM
    More that analysts are covering there positions. Cant really be objective if your actively trading in the space. Its like democrats reporting on republicans or the reverse.

In today's age its hard to find neutral (objective) reporting on anything.
    The analysts are correct in being "disappointed" in Apple's results. The first themselves overestimated Apple's performance which was higher than Apple's own guidance. They then priced the stock at their own overestimated performance value and started trading the stock at elevated values.
    Then when Apple didn't meet their forecasts the, price of the stock would have to come down to a level to reflect the actual value of the company. Hence disappointing from their own unreal expectations.
    app_Developer likes this.
    03-15-12 09:14 AM
    Just saw that ad on TV (Sri Lanka Vs Pakistan). Sad and embarrassing.

Liked the first BB boys ad, this one makes me cringe.
    Sad indeed. Due to this, the old one lost its charm as well. Btw, seems we play Pak in the finals.
    03-15-12 10:17 AM
    Sad indeed. Due to this, the old one lost its charm as well. Btw, seems we play Pak in the finals.
    Finals already?? Three match series? India vs Pakistan....that's one fixed match waiting to happen.
    03-15-12 10:25 AM
    The analysts are correct in being "disappointed" in Apple's results. The first themselves overestimated Apple's performance which was higher than Apple's own guidance. They then priced the stock at their own overestimated performance value and started trading the stock at elevated values.
    Then when Apple didn't meet their forecasts the, price of the stock would have to come down to a level to reflect the actual value of the company. Hence disappointing from their own unreal expectations.
    Again that just points to them not following the guidance given by the company and making inaccurate guesstimates about the company's product lines. Right or wrong, its not based on factual info, just guesses.
    03-15-12 10:31 AM
    Again that just points to them not following the guidance given by the company and making inaccurate guesstimates about the company's product lines. Right or wrong, its not based on factual info, just guesses.
    Well that's how speculative markets work. The analysts are in the stock market to make money by speculative trading rather than by dividends from the company. Every analyst tries to put himself against the "general wisdom" to make some money in markets where information flow is free and fast. Sometimes their guesstimates pan out and if they don't they quickly unwind their positions before everyone in the market does it. That gives momentum to the stock in whichever direction it is trending. Not a perfect system, but it's what we have.
    03-15-12 10:50 AM
    Well that's how speculative markets work. The analysts are in the stock market to make money by speculative trading rather than by dividends from the company. Every analyst tries to put himself against the "general wisdom" to make some money in markets where information flow is free and fast. Sometimes their guesstimates pan out and if they don't they quickly unwind their positions before everyone in the market does it. That gives momentum to the stock in whichever direction it is trending. Not a perfect system, but it's what we have.
    Oh sure I do understand how it works, I have worked in the financial space before. Its just an unfortunate situation to be on either side of bad information particularly if there is a solid history of accurate reporting from a company. Apple has a blow away quarter and there is disappointment, RIM will make there numbers and there will be disappointment they just didnt just die like everyone is predicating...I call BULL and these clowns shouldnt be referenced as sources...Ok not particularly realistic, but one could hope for better.
    03-15-12 11:02 AM
    Oh sure I do understand how it works, I have worked in the financial space before. Its just an unfortunate situation to be on either side of bad information particularly if there is a solid history of accurate reporting from a company. Apple has a blow away quarter and there is disappointment, RIM will make there numbers and there will be disappointment they just didnt just die like everyone is predicating...I call BULL and these clowns shouldnt be referenced as sources...Ok not particularly realistic, but one could hope for better.
    Agree with you completely. They should have a lock down period on stock purchases of at least 2 yrs, otherwise the profits made through trades should be taxed at the highest rates. Then let's see analysts play with a company with their guesstimates.

Only problem is that there would be a reduction in investments available to the companies which have a good idea and need cheap funds. Not a win win solution.
    03-15-12 11:26 AM
    When a corporation misses the guidance it set for its self, it's going to get bashed. If that's a problem, either remain a private entity or don't miss your guidance. Solved.
    I guess, in the minds of some, the investors who lost appx 90% of their investment shouldn't complain either.

Possibly they(investors) should also blame the media for the time they praised RIM.

Money's only paper. Right?
    03-15-12 02:14 PM
    I guess, in the minds of some, the investors who lost appx 90% of their investment shouldn't complain either.

Possibly they(investors) should also blame the media for the time they praised RIM.

Money's only paper. Right?
    You need to differentiate between investors and speculators.

If you buy shares in a company because you have gone through the books and are convinced about their business model and want a share of the profits of the company, then you are an Investor.

However if you are buying/shorting a share of a company simply to sell it in a week's time to make a quick buck, then you are a speculator (read gambler) and have as much reason to whine as a gambler in Vegas. If you want to gamble like a big boy, then don't whine like a little one if you lose.
    03-15-12 02:22 PM
    You need to differentiate between investors and speculators.

If you buy shares in a company because you have gone through the books and are convinced about their business model and want a share of the profits of the company, then you are an Investor.

However if you are buying/shorting a share of a company simply to sell it in a week's time to make a quick buck, then you are a speculator (read gambler) and have as much reason to whine as a gambler in Vegas. If you want to gamble like a big boy, then don't whine like a little one if you lose.
    Long term investors in RIM are the ones who have lost the most, not to mention any employees with stock options.
    03-15-12 02:33 PM
    Long term investors in RIM are the ones who have lost the most, not to mention any employees with stock options.
    Long term investors have gained a lot with RIM as well. Every business goes through cycles of high revenue and low revenue. In for the good, in with the bad.

If the long term investors are convinced with the model and haven't pulled out then they are probably still convinced about RIM's business model and are waiting for the bad cycle to end.
    03-15-12 02:50 PM
    When a corporation misses the guidance it set for its self, it's going to get bashed. If that's a problem, either remain a private entity or don't miss your guidance. Solved.
    Self, you're making sense again. Share the Apple wealth this time. Thank you.
    03-15-12 03:17 PM
    I never get how investors feel entitled to complain. I realise there is no garauntee when I invest and if I make a bad investment its on me. That's how it works isnt it? This isn't some start-up that investors are funding. Maybe from now on if I make a bad investment I should go complain to the company I invested in that I want my money back.
    03-17-12 03:17 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD