I am currently in a mobile no-mans land. The current situation with BlackBerry has left me without a clear mobile platform to sink my teeth into. I have made a list of what for me is the top device from each platform . Seeing as I don�t own any of these phones, in fact some aren�t even released yet, I need true user experience to make a decision on which one to make my own. I am posting on each of the mobile sites so I can get the most information possible for each phone. I hope over the next couple of weeks as each one hits the market I can get some great information on these phones to help me make a decision. Nothing beats first hand experience with a phone, both good and bad. In the case where the phones haven�t been released, your thoughts on how you think they will stack up is also greatly appreciated. Hopefully I will get more feedback once they are released as well. If you own more than one of the devices your opinion on which one you prefer and why is also appreciated. I am also interested in your opinion on how you think your phone stacks up against the others on the list. Thanks for your help in advance.
    iPhone 5S
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Nokia 1520
    BlackBerry Z30
    10-12-13 08:25 PM
    Just wondering what phone do you currently have?

Posted via CB10
    10-12-13 08:35 PM
    Get a Google nexus 5

Posted via CB10
    10-12-13 08:40 PM
    Just wondering what phone do you currently have?

Posted via CB10
    I'm using a Note 8 3G International model but with the inclusion of BBM in the latest Bridge update I could move back to a BB10 and PlayBook combo again.
    10-12-13 08:48 PM
    I am currently in a mobile no-mans land. The current situation with BlackBerry has left me without a clear mobile platform to sink my teeth into. I have made a list of what for me is the top device from each platform . Seeing as I don�t own any of these phones, in fact some aren�t even released yet, I need true user experience to make a decision on which one to make my own. I am posting on each of the mobile sites so I can get the most information possible for each phone. I hope over the next couple of weeks as each one hits the market I can get some great information on these phones to help me make a decision. Nothing beats first hand experience with a phone, both good and bad. In the case where the phones haven�t been released, your thoughts on how you think they will stack up is also greatly appreciated. Hopefully I will get more feedback once they are released as well. If you own more than one of the devices your opinion on which one you prefer and why is also appreciated. I am also interested in your opinion on how you think your phone stacks up against the others on the list. Thanks for your help in advance.
    iPhone 5S
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Nokia 1520
    BlackBerry Z30
    Your question is valid but please be aware that the majority of BlackBerry users on this forum hate iphone with an inexplicable vituperative hatred. They will also tell you that BlackBerry is clearly the best phone out there regardless of any discussion to the contrary. You seem like a balanced person with the ability to think clearly about phones- remember all this when you read the responses. Now to your question: I've had iphone for years. I now have the iphone5. It is a beautiful phone with a huge ecosystem. The fact that it is a popular platform with ipads, etc., means you can use it for years. It is ready to go out of the box. The phone itself is well made; it runs smoothly. The apps are endless, and you can surely find what you want. You are able to use the phone well with one hand if that is important to you. I've never had a problem with my browser- it is fast. None of my iphones have ever rebooted; bricked; failed to work, etc. I am able to use it professionall as all my business apps are available as well as use Word and Excel docs. I have all banking, etc., apps and am able to travel extensively without using a laptop because my iphone 5 performs wonderfully.

I don't have the BlackBerry z30 but do have the q10. Therefore, I will speak to the app issues. It is well known BlackBerry has limited apps. Go to the BlackBerry World website and if you put in the type of BlackBerry you are interested in and see if the apps you need are available for that phone. If not, you will be relegated to sideloading android apps to get what you need. Some see that as a viable option, however I do not. For what the phone costs, those apps should be available out of the box. If the apps you really need have to be sideloaded, you may want to consider the Galaxy or iphone5s. Make sure you know what sideloading involves- read the threads about it on these forums.
    The lack of apps I use everyday lead me to favor the iphone5.

Also take into account that no-one knows what is happening with BlackBerry. If you don't mind having a phone that may have little support in the future, BlackBerry might be a choice. That may not matter to you, but I bought my q10 before the BlackBerry sale was announced - if I had known about the sale, I wouldn't have bought it. In the end you have to determine what is right for you.

Posted via CB10
    richardat and NFLPLAYBOOK like this.
    10-12-13 09:01 PM
    It would help to know what your usage will be. Is it for media consumption, emails, social media, games, etc? How heavy is this usage? Do you enjoy customisation, or prefer consistency in UI? Level of app usage? Deal-breaker apps?

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    10-12-13 09:22 PM
    Apps schmaps, get the Z30 for Schitz and giggles

Posted via CB10(BBM#22) on my Z10 featuring BBM Channel C0002FE04
    SangreNegra and NFLPLAYBOOK like this.
    10-12-13 09:45 PM
    I'm using a Note 8 3G International model but with the inclusion of BBM in the latest Bridge update I could move back to a BB10 and PlayBook combo again.
    Do you still have your LTE playbook?
    10-12-13 09:49 PM
    The Nokia looks freaking stupid. I like WP don't get me wrong, but 6inches? That's too damn big.

BBM channels: c00121c99 for some knowledge and c00123fca for some real hip hop
    NFLPLAYBOOK likes this.
    10-12-13 09:52 PM
    Do you still have your LTE playbook?
    Yes and a 32gb wifi one as well.
    10-13-13 09:50 AM
    It would help to know what your usage will be. Is it for media consumption, emails, social media, games, etc? How heavy is this usage? Do you enjoy customisation, or prefer consistency in UI? Level of app usage? Deal-breaker apps?

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    I don't care about customization. I use my devices all day every day. The only real deal breaker app for me is Slingbox but I can get around that. QNX is still the smoothest OS I have ever used.
    10-13-13 09:53 AM
    I don't care about customization. I use my devices all day every day. The only real deal breaker app for me is Slingbox but I can get around that. QNX is still the smoothest OS I have ever used.
    Then I would suggest the Z30. A search on CB forums found that Slingplayer can be sideloaded to the newest Android runtime, which comes with the Z30 (debug token may be needed, or load the unlocked runtime).

There's really nothing about the Z30 that screams "THIS IS THE BEST!" but it's all the little things that really do add up. The smoothness and efficiency of moving from one task to the other, being able to handle all your communications through the Hub, the intuitive keyboard, the auto-brightness that you barely notice. It also has the best antenna technology of the phones, through Paratek. HDMI output and Miracast mirroring would also complement Slingbox to allow you to stream to a TV at a friend's house or hotel. You can have the phone for months and still find new features that you never knew about.

To me, Android is the Swiss Army Knife of smartphones. It allows you to do pretty much anything you want - complete customisation, plus a bajillion apps for doing office work, AutoCAD, image manipulation, etc., plus splitscreen apps. But the OS just seems a bit crude; switching between tasks isn't as smooth, and I don't like how the back button both brings you back a page and exits an app. Sometimes I forget that I'm at the top page of an app and accidentally find myself back at the app grid.

iPhones are king of the ecosystem and very consistent in UI. I recommend these to my less tech-savvy friends, because the back button is always in the same place, apps generally follow the same layout, and there's not much to throw you off. It also has a huge selection of apps. Where it falls short, in my opinion, is in connectivity. Everything needs Apple's special connectors, from charging to HDMI output. The ecosystem is also quite hard to break out of, so everything's great if you're happy, but if you want to switch, a lot of stuff is stored in services that only work well on Apple products.

Nokias are great for photography and connectivity to Office products. I admit I don't know much about them, but they do suffer from the same ecosystem issues as BlackBerries. Lack of apps and enterprise support. The difference is that Microsoft has cash to burn for decades, while whilst BlackBerry may or may not stay in the consumer market (which doesn't make the Z30 any less of a great smartphone, but may limit your upgrade path).

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    NFLPLAYBOOK likes this.
    10-13-13 10:22 AM
    You have such a range in size there....I think most would say the s4, not the note 3 is the flagship. The s4 is certainly the 5s competitor, and probably the z30 competitor as well.

I feel like you might be able to reduce your choices in half instantly based on size. The serious phablet nokia and note 3, or the 5s and z30.

If you're happy with the note, and are certain you want to stay that size, I'd go with the note 3. If you want to go smaller, I'd go with the iphone 5....largely based on apps....software is a critical factor, especially when tyring to distinguish between high end phones. If you're happy with the app situation on windows and BB, then consider the other factors - though I think Apple and Sammy probably win on the other factors (as a whole) as well.
    NFLPLAYBOOK likes this.
    10-13-13 10:33 AM